Korat Immigration Today - New Rule Extend Stay based on Marriage

19 hours ago, FARANG KIWI said:

They have changed the rules on us again!

Went to do the usual 60 Day Extension based on Marriage this morning.

Now the Kor Ror 22 MUST be less than 365 days old or it will no longer be acceptable.

What this meant this morning was we have to nip to the Central Amphur and request a newly issued Kor Ror 22 for the princely sum of 20 Baht! ( 2 x signed copies provided )

Everything else stayed the same form wise.....    

Trust this may assist even just one person :)

In addition to that our immigration office (Samut Sakhon) also requested certificate of eligibility to get married. So we took the document that we did seven years ago before we got married! Go figure. They said we want to make sure you don’t have another wife. Go figure. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CecilM said:

Why would that be a surprise? Seems obvious that documents must be new.

We can't even use 4x6cm pictures from last year, because they must not be older than 3 months. 

Have been using the same Kor Ror 22 for the last 7 years, but maybe I'll have the wife update it before my February visit for yearly extension just to be safe. Seems like a few people here are seeing changes, so better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, but what's the "normal " 60 day extension to a marriage visa/permission to stay?

Recent "Normal" 1 year extension based on marriage at Pathum Thani IO, wife got Kor Ror 2 a couple of days before attending.

Same every year.

Bank letter and statements plus P/Book withdrawal on the same day as attending IO (BBL branch is on the way to Imm. )

No new tricks this year (mid December). Even dropped some of the old "stallers" like TM28, Details of when and where married , My mother and father's full names , penalties form, Previous occupation etc,etc.

None.this year !!!

Handed in ONE copy of the normal forms/photos at triage and the girls (for a small consideration) made whatever photo copies they wanted whilst we waited outside under the outdoor pavilion with the others.

About 20mins later, called in to pay B1900 and obligatory computer photo, then was handed PP with "normal" 30day consideration period.....and receipt.

Wife arranged specific day for home visit (convenient to us) for another small enticement !

The Boys and BMW arrived as arranged for coffee and cakes, more blab with 2 neighbors and more inside/outside phone pix (theirs)

All finished in about 20 minutes.

No dramas/surprises/new procedures etc. whatsoever at Imm office or home.

Guess I'm a lucky old F....r

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Actually you have been very lucky in the past that your Korat Imm Office accepted a Kor Ror 22 more than 1 year old as proof of STILL being married with your Thai wife.

Almost all Imm Offices require a RECENTLY issued Kor Ror 22, with "recent" varying from 1 month old to 1 week old, and some loony Offices even want to have it issued on same day as application. 

For a 1-year Permission to stay extension or 60-day extension of stay application, you need BOTH a copy of your original Marriage Certificate (legislated when it was issued abroad), as well as this Kor Ror 22 which can be gotten hold of at ANY Thai Amphur, as it is just a print-out from the national Thai marriage register providing evidence that you are still married to your Thai wife, and it typically costs somewhere between 10,- and 100,- THB.

Mine was rejected as it wasn't issued on the day I applied for the extension.....it was a day old.....(Chaiyaphum)

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, CecilM said:

Why would that be a surprise? Seems obvious that documents must be new.

We can't even use 4x6cm pictures from last year, because they must not be older than 3 months. 

Does your decor and age lines visibly change that much in those months. How do they know ?? 😝 

11 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Sorry, but what's the "normal " 60 day extension to a marriage visa/permission to stay?

I can only think that the OP obtains multi-entry non-O visas for marriage at Savannakhet and extends each 90-day permission to stay granted within the lifetime of a particular visa by 60 days for the purposes of visiting his wife.

• Thanks 1

Its been a while since I applied for a 60 day extension to a 90 day stay based on marriage at Korat.  At the time I was surprised at just how little they wanted - as long as my wife was with me, certainly never asked for a KR2 - not to extend a stay from a MENO.  Surprised indeed because when they want to be, Korat can be complete bar stewards.

I'm pretty sure that offices requiring KR2's to extend a MENO entry are simply mixing the requirements up with those for a 12 month extension of stay.  Think about it - a MENO gives you unlimited entries within a 12 month period for up to 90 days - you can nip out and enter again for a fresh 90 day stay and you're not asked to provide a KR2 on each entry, so why when all you are doing is extending that entry?  You've provided a KR2 to get the MENO in the first place.

Yes, I know, try telling them that. :bah:

18 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I'm pretty sure that offices requiring KR2's to extend a MENO entry are simply mixing the requirements up with those for a 12 month extension of stay.  Think about it - a MENO gives you unlimited entries within a 12 month period for up to 90 days - you can nip out and enter again for a fresh 90 day stay and you're not asked to provide a KR2 on each entry, so why when all you are doing is extending that entry?  You've provided a KR2 to get the MENO in the first place.

Savannakhet appear to be alone among Thai embassies and consulates worldwide in issuing MENO's for marriage. Furthermore, they were, until recently, prepared to issue such MENO's without requiring any proof of funds (latest reports on here indicate that they now require evidence of at least 400k deposited in a Thai bank account).

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

Savannakhet appear to be alone among Thai embassies and consulates worldwide in issuing MENO's for marriage. Furthermore, they were, until recently, prepared to issue such MENO's without requiring any proof of funds (latest reports on here indicate that they now require evidence of at least 400k deposited in a Thai bank account).

We know all that, several reports recently. This is about requiring a KR2 to extend a 90 day stay by 60 days.