Thai ministry plans overseas telemedicine services for one million expats

webfact

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

That's pretty neat, I reckon that's excellent thinking. Can you imagine the NHS doing similar for UK expats abroad......no, me neither!

You would have trouble getting a doctors appointment on the NHS if you lived in the UK let alone living abroad, as for a dentist appointment forget it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, impulse said:

Good luck getting prescriptions filled at a US pharmacy. 

I like the concept, but I suspect the devil will be in the delivery...

I was thinking about getting telemedicine from Boston in Thailand. During the pandemic the situation was looser, so doctors there could handle their patients when they were out of Massachusetts, but now only doctors who are licensed in the state where the patient is located can deliver service. For example, some snow birds can get to connect with Boston doctors who are also licensed in FL.

It's problematical for a US pharmacy to honor a Thai prescription, especially when branded medicines may have different names or not even be available or approved. In the US there is the reciprocity concept between states, but not some other country AFAIK.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:43 AM, Mike Lister said:

That's pretty neat, I reckon that's excellent thinking. Can you imagine the NHS doing similar for UK expats abroad......no, me neither!

Probably of little benefit for an Expat to talk to a Thai monk in India.....

Another silly gimmick.....anything to use technology. Western countries will have laws about unqualified people giving medical advice over the phone. And what about the treatment. Most western countries are not like Thailand, you need a prescription.