Road safety appeal amid surge of New Year holidaymakers in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

The People’s Safety Foundation has made an appeal to the government for stricter safety policies to mitigate road accidents as Thailand gears up for the New Year’s celebrations.

Nikorn Chamnong, the foundation’s chairman, and a List MP of the Chartthaipattana Party voiced concerns over the expected surge of holidaymakers due to the easing of the pandemic.

He stated…

“This poses a great concern. People are expected to travel in large numbers with great enthusiasm nationwide after a period of Covid-19 restrictions. The government also has a policy to promote domestic travel,”

Nikorn reported that there has been an influx of travellers in the provinces since Christmas Day, contributing to a significant rise in road accidents. He disclosed that 56 fatalities were recorded on Monday and 53 casualties on Tuesday. He also mentioned the potential risks of family groups travelling together in rented vehicles during the long holiday period. 

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Mick Haupt (Unsplash)

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This really comes down to men behaving like men. Real men act. Adolescent minds talk, make policy declarations, proclamations about safety, etc., then do nothing. Absolutely nothing. That is NOT leadership, Mr. Sretta.

Nowhere else in the world have I seen people consistency take the kinds of chances and risks in the road, that they take here, with their families in the car. Nowhere. When they could have waited four seconds to make the u-turn or turn onto the highway, and have a completely clear path, they instead choose to take a tremendous risk. It is beyond comprehension. I see it all the time. My eyes do not lie to me. This rarely ever happens to me in the US. If I decide to cut you off on a highway, when you are going 120kph, and I am making a u-turn, and there was plenty of room behind you for me to make a safe turn, is that an error, if it results in a horrific, fatal accident, and I take the lives of you and your family? I don't make the kind of errors that result in bad accidents, much less fatalities. Why? Because I am very, very careful on the road, and very, very respectful of other drivers, their lives, and those of their families. That is a choice that results in NOT making very many terrible mistakes.

Sometimes an error is wearing white after Labor day in New York City. And sometimes an error is invading Russia before the oncoming winter.

If the authorities cared, they would make sure nearly all the highway patrol, were actually patrolling the highways and finding reckless drivers. In all the years I have been here, I have never seen anyone pulled over for speeding or recklessness. Get the useless highway patrol to actually patrol the highway.

How about 30 days in jail, for any highway patrolman found in an office, instead of out there on the highway? Roadblocks accomplish very little, except clog the highways. It is a lazy approach.

Who you gonna believe, the PM or your own eyes?

sorry, cannibalised Marx bros joke 

27 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

"The People’s Safety Foundation has made an appeal to the government".

This "Foundation" should me made aware that the 'Thai people' are very happy with the way things are here.

And that they will fight against any attempts for changes.

And the Thai people will win.

Compulsory wearing of helmets: 'No'.

Speed limits: 'No'.

Stopping at red lights: 'No'

Stop illegally using a phone while driving: 'No'

Stop illegally crossing over double lines on the roads' 'No"

Respecting double lines on the roads: 'No'.

Stop illegally passing cars on the roads: 'No'

Stop driving against traffic: 'No'.

Families of four or five on a motorscooter "Yes"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andre0720 said:

This "Foundation" should me made aware that the 'Thai people' are very happy with the way things are here.

The main problem is that people here do not have fear on the roads. None. So what would be the reason for any changes.

Passengers on motorbikes, are totally oblivious to the way the drivers go at high speed zigzagging between vehicles. They show absolutely no fear, eyes looking straight down on their mobiles, trying to get the latest gossip on their favorite site...

But then, I suppose that this Foundation has to emit some kind of narrative, to justify its existence... :sleep:

Hear hear, well said!  These announcements are meaningless, the thai people have been let do the wrong thing for so long it's toooooo late to change a whole way of life. A better question is, what have the Authorites been doing all these years apart from coll;ecting brown envelopes etc while the Thai people continue to die on the roads.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The main problem is that people here do not have fear on the roads. None. So what would be the reason for any changes.

Passengers on motorbikes, are totally oblivious to the way the drivers go at high speed zigzagging between vehicles. They show absolutely no fear, eyes looking straight down on their mobiles, trying to get the latest gossip on their favorite site...

But then, I suppose that this Foundation has to emit some kind of narrative, to justify its existence... :sleep:

If you look more in details, you will also find out that many visitors to the country adopt the same attitude with regard to driving behiaviour... Something to do with the food?? , the wether??, .... 

One can only hope that Thais appreciate you speaking on their behalf. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, catch104 said:

If you look more in details, you will also find out that many visitors to the country adopt the same attitude with regard to driving behiaviour... Something to do with the food?? , the wether??, .... 

their feeble attempt at "going local".....the ones that have dreads put in steal it though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've posted this before, but.....

You don't understand the Thai system. He has spoken, made his recommendations, and his job is done. Anything that happens later is not his responsibility. You, I, he and everyone else knows that what is said will be ignored and is unenforceable, but that is not the point. He has acted, done what he considers to be his job, while actually doing nothing. This happens all the time, at least once a week. Someone makes a declaration and the next day it's ignored and forgotten. But that person has done their job by 'acting'.

I think you have mixed up posts. I didn’t say what you have quoted. It might have been @spidermike007, but it certainly wasn’t me.

• Confused 1

On the other hand, there is more freedom here for the common man in his everyday life activities than there is for his peers in the United States, which is supposedly the freest country in the world but isn't. My point is that the carefree Thai way of life has made my life a lot easier and hassle-free. So, for me, I find more positives here in Thailand than negatives.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

THere is a post that seriously ill-informed about road safety and how it works.

• Confused 2

I don't see the significance of the OP photo - it looks like a tree has been blown down - not a lot you can do about that - except examine the state of the road and remover trees that are likely to be blown down.

One needs to bear in mind that holiday period casulaties are often LESS than the overall average.

THis may in part be due to the compulsory removal of commercial traffic and a reduced number of motorcyclists.

also worth noting that the number of crashes over last Songkhran in Thailand was about the same as in UK last Easter. YTHe difference is the severity of injuries.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1