Thousands of Palestinians flee central Gaza as Israeli troops advance

CharlieH

image.png

An estimated 150,000 Palestinians are being forced to flee areas of central Gaza, the UN has said, as Israeli forces advance on refugee camps there.

Witnesses and Hamas's armed wing reported that tanks had reached the eastern outskirts of Bureij camp.

Israel's military recently expanded its ground offensive to target Bureij and nearby Nuseirat and Maghazi camps.

Israeli bombardment also killed dozens of people across Gaza on Thursday, the Hamas-run health ministry said.

Egypt has confirmed that it has put forward a three-stage proposal to stop the fighting which ends with a ceasefire.

A Hamas delegation is said to have arrived in Cairo to give its response to the plan.

The war was triggered by an unprecedented cross-border attack by Hamas gunmen on southern Israel on 7 October, in which 1,200 people were killed - most of them civilians - and about 240 others taken hostage.

More than 21,300 people have been killed in Gaza - mostly children and women - during 11 weeks of fighting, according to the health ministry.

The Israeli military has called for the evacuation of a strip of land stretching across central Gaza that includes Bureij and Nuseirat camps, and told the almost 90,000 residents and 61,000 displaced people in the affected areas to move southwards to the town of Deir al-Balah.

However, the UN warned on Thursday that they had nowhere to go because Deir al-Balah was already overcrowded, with several hundred thousand displaced people sheltering there.

The UN says that Rafah - which had already become the most densely populated town in Gaza - has seen about 100,000 new arrivals in recent days as Israeli ground forces have pushed into new neighbourhoods.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

36 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Witnesses and Hamas's armed wing reported that tanks had reached the eastern outskirts of Bureij camp.

Right there is the very reason the IDF has called for the evacuations and is going there to clear out those terrorists and infrastructure that are hiding in amongst the civilians at the camps.

Also contained in the linked article:

"Residents told Reuters that the heavy fighting continued on Thursday, with Israeli tanks advancing on the densely populated Bureij camp from the north and east. Hamas posted a video showing what it said was its fighters targeting Israeli soldiers and vehicles."

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

So, the israelis are trying to push all 2.3 million Gazans ( or at least what remains of them ) down to Rafah. Do they have a plan for what happens then? I suspect they do, but it's not a nice one, and I'm not going to say what I think it is on here. Everyone has an imagination, so they can come up with what they imagine will happen without my help.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, the israelis are trying to push all 2.3 million Gazans ( or at least what remains of them ) down to Rafah. Do they have a plan for what happens then? I suspect they do, but it's not a nice one, and I'm not going to say what I think it is on here. Everyone has an imagination, so they can come up with what they imagine will happen without my help.

If your reading comprehension were more accute you would know that it involves 151,000 people who have chosen to remain as covert hamas supporters... by remaining they have declared themselves to be enemy combatants...  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

If your reading comprehension were more accute you would know that it involves 151,000 people who have chosen to remain as covert hamas supporters... by remaining they have declared themselves to be enemy combatants...  

I shall refrain from saying what I think about that <deleted>, and will consign your posts to ignore where I don't have to see such <deleted> any more.

• Haha 1