Does anyone actually recommend Thailand

KhunLA

... as a holiday destination ?

What motivated my thoughts for this … got my BD/Xmas greeting, family update from my brother.  A yearly thing and he fills my in on his family, kids/grandkids, O&As.

His son retires next year, (age 45), Holy Buddha we’re getting old.  Anyway ...

He retired 10 yrs ago, now 70, so he got to pick where for his BD.  

BD – Antarctica, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay & Falkland Is.

Other O&As in 2023;

Costa Rica (E & W coast)

Netherlands, Belgium

Portugal

Kenya, Tanzania (balloon ride over Serengeti), inspired by IMAX documentary he saw in 1994.

His wife’s father passed, so had to sh!t can one trip.

2024 (May), he’s coming to TH, since in the neighborhood.  Last stop, after Australia, New Zealand,  Tasmania & Vietnam.

He didn’t book the TH part, and I advised him not to, but who listens to me.  Man … is he going to disappointed:cheesy:

Any luck we’ll have a good downpour before he arrives, as CM after BKK is on his itinerary.  Then Phuket, and we'll hang out for 24 ish hours at BKK before he flies out.  Yea, all of 1 day, and I haven't seen him in 20 years :cheesy:

All I can say is ... "I warned you" :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Other O&As in 2023;

Costa Rica (E & W coast)

Netherlands, Belgium

Portugal

Kenya, Tanzania (balloon ride over Serengeti), inspired by IMAX documentary he saw in 1994.

What do people do when they visit any of these countries for a few days or weeks?

I guess most often the answer will be that they do what most tourists do.

And if you do what tourists do, do you actually learn much about a country? I don't think so.

I live in Sukhumvit, and I see many tourists here. Most of them seem to be ignorant. And lots of locals see tourists like ATM machines. Get their money and that's it. Do you want to be one of those tourists? 

If anybody who played tourist in many locations comes to Thailand what does he expect? Tourist things - which is a very limited part from life. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

My brother and his family came about 10-15 years ago for a couple weeks, and we all had a good time. 

I think it's more attractive to people in the US now then it was then. 

I thought Phuket was great, 23 years ago.  And visited twice yearly 10 yrs after.

Was excellent during Covid, after avoiding for almost 10 yrs prior to covid.

We were there in June this year, and can't see us ever returning, unless another pandemic :giggle:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do people do when they visit any of these countries for a few days or weeks?

I guess most often the answer will be that they do what most tourists do.

And if you do what tourists do, do you actually learn much about a country? I don't think so.

I live in Sukhumvit, and I see many tourists here. Most of them seem to be ignorant. And lots of locals see tourists like ATM machines. Get their money and that's it. Do you want to be one of those tourists? 

If anybody who played tourist in many locations comes to Thailand what does he expect? Tourist things - which is a very limited part from life. 

His wife & myself are like minded, give us a hotel, restaurant/coffee shop with good grub & a view, and we're happy.   She sees my O&As that I put on FB, and likes them .... BUT ... that not the kind of itinerary they have when they'll be here. 

Unfortunately, they'll be doing the usual tourist route, which parts will be enjoyable, if the smog is knocked down before they get here, May 6th.  Rains were late this year, so hopefully next May, it will downpour end of April till May 4th or 5th.

CM certainly isn't going to impress, as they've seen all size mountains & waterfalls.   Phuket surf is going to be crap.  They're pretty worldly, so BKK being the smelly slum that it can be at times, might not put them off too much.   Heat, humidity & open sewers will put anyone off.  

If anything, Nam will warm them up for TH, so the'lly be one step up from that, or so I read.  

Thai museums, culture & art is a bit of a joke.  They both lived in UK for about 3+ year and toured all of Europe, back in 70's.  I always hit Art Museums when I travel.  After a couple here/TH, I stopped, as same same, not different.

I am actually hoping for a typhoon, and Nam & TH gets cancelled 🙏

• Sad 1

A lot of Australians feel a bit 'Been there done that' with Bali and Phuket and go elsewhere. Me too as a tourist. Apparently Japan is the popular place for Australians which I can understand as it is really different.

Suppose for Americans being so far away makes it seem a bit exotic still but also an awful long way to go so closer places may be better. 

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

A lot of Australians feel a bit 'Been there done that' with Bali and Phuket and go elsewhere. Me too as a tourist. Apparently Japan is the popular place for Australians which I can understand as it is really different.

Suppose for Americans being so far away makes it seem a bit exotic still but also an awful long way to go so closer places may be better. 

Just saw someone trip report of a few weeks in Japan w/photo, and pretty awesome place.  Both city & countryside photo trip ... impressive.

Brother & wife are pretty seasoned travelers, and I can't think of anything that would impress them here.  My other 2 brother would like it, if weather & smog cooperated.  Haven't travelled nearly as much as myself & brother.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

What motivated my thoughts for this … got my BD/Xmas greeting, family update from my brother.  A yearly thing and he fills my in on his family, kids/grandkids, O&As.

Other O&As in 2023;

Costa Rica (E & W coast)

Netherlands, Belgium

Portugal

2024 (May), he’s coming to TH, since in the neighborhood.  Last stop, after Australia, New Zealand,  Tasmania & Vietnam.

He didn’t book the TH part, and I advised him not to, but who listens to me.  Man … is he going to disappointed:cheesy:

Any luck we’ll have a good downpour before he arrives, as CM after BKK is on his itinerary.  Then Phuket, and we'll hang out for 24 ish hours at BKK before he flies out.  Yea, all of 1 day, and I haven't seen him in 20 years :cheesy:

So, what's keeping YOU here?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends on what people enjoy.

My son loves the food and strolling through the markets. He's repeated the visit several times.

OTOH, my daughter-in-law had a terrible time. She reckons she caught every bug except cancer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So, what's keeping YOU here?

OK as a retirement choice, but been to many places much better as a holiday destination.   Especially as a Yank, as it really is too far to travel, aside from the expense of airfare.  East coast (PHL) or MEM, and it's 24-30hr door to door, and that was before the silly TSA security.

If not married & kid here, or hindsight, probably would have went a different route.  No regrets at all, and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here.  I can leave at any time, but I'm staying.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Same here. Loved Phuket when I went there about 25 years ago. Really loved Pattaya, esp. the great attitude of the girls back then, first time I went there 23 years ago. - Nowadays, I don't bother travelling to Phuket, and Pattaya isn't great anymore. The only thing that excites me these days is travelling to other countries (Vietnam, Oz)...

You ever consider that 25 years ago you were 25 years younger? 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...and it shows.

???

I'm well travelled and consider myself an extremely seasoned traveler. 

2 of my brothers, not so much, but have gotten out more than most of there friends & peers.

Edited by KhunLA

59 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You ever consider that 25 years ago you were 25 years younger? 

So?? I liked Phuket back then because of the beaches, mostly friendly people, and reasonable prices. Why should my age make a difference? Is it my fault that, being 25 years older, there are more scams, rude people, eye sores, and pollution on Phuket today? LOL 

But I guess, I was lucky. If I had travelled there for the first time recently, no chance that I would have ventured there again. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So?? I liked Phuket back then because of the beaches, mostly friendly people, and reasonable prices. Why should my age make a difference? Is it my fault that, due to being 25 years older, there are more scams, rude people, eye sores, and pollution on Phuket today? LOL 

But I guess, I was lucky. If I travelled there for the first time today, no chance that I would travel there again. 

What you said was: " Loved Phuket when I went there about 25 years ago. Really loved Pattaya, esp. the great attitude of the girls back then, first time I went there 23 years ago." 

Now why might the attitude of the girls be better when you were younger? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, isaanistical said:

Most tourists are "ignorant". Somehow I expected better from you..........

I don't like them either, but I don't call them names. Not on websites, anyway.

But they are ignorant. And it's not surprising that they are ignorant about Thailand when they didn't spend much time here.

That's not calling names, it's just telling the truth.

That is one of the reasons, maybe the main reason, that I travel very little. I don't want to be one of those ignorant tourists somewhere else. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Really loved Pattaya, esp. the great attitude of the girls back then, first time I went there 23 years ago." 

As I wrote: "Really loved Pattaya, esp. the great attitude of the girls back then..." (BTW, I have way more money now, so this got to count for something. LOL)

And yes, same problems there too; eye sores (e.g. beach and beach promenade!), pollution much worse, etc., and the (better looking) girls work online, and are in a hurry... If I wanted to hire such a kind of working girls, why should I travel half-way around the world? (As I can hire the same category, incl. Thais, back home.)

Nowadays I'm more likely to spend my money sightseeing in Hanoi, or travelling in Oz, with Thailand just being my tropical hub.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But they are ignorant. And it's not surprising that they are ignorant about Thailand when they didn't spend much time here.

That's not calling names, it's just telling the truth.

Everyone is ignorant about most things.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is one of the reasons, maybe the main reason, that I travel very little. I don't want to be one of those ignorant tourists somewhere else. 

So better to stay home and be ignorant? That makes no sense. 

You probably don't travel much because you like staying home. Nothing wrong with that, it's my favorite place to go. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

As I wrote: "Really loved Pattaya, esp. the great attitude of the girls back then..."

And yes, same problems there too; eye sores (beach promenade!), pollution much worse, etc., and the (better looking) girls work online, and are in a hurry... If I want to hire such working girls, why should I travel half-way around the world? Nowadays I'm more likely to spend my money sightseeing in Hanoi or travelling in Oz, with Thailand just being my tropical hub.

I have not been to Phuket for years, but Pattaya (I cannot speak to the sex trade) seems nicer than ever to me. 

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Other O&As in 2023;

Costa Rica (E & W coast)

Netherlands, Belgium

Portugal

Why would Chang nobyl be on his itinerary? Tell him to bring his gas mask! You really know how to ruin his trip!

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What you said was: " Loved Phuket when I went there about 25 years ago. Really loved Pattaya, esp. the great attitude of the girls back then, first time I went there 23 years ago." 

Don't forget, it's all the 'girls' fault these days as they're older, fatter and only want to play with their phones.