What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

Rimmer

On 2/24/2024 at 8:08 AM, mikebell said:

I've only watched E1 and liked it.  Got the other 2 on ice.

'Finders Keepers'.  Finished it and liked it.  A satisfying ending tho' not without grounds for a 2nd series.  There was no explicit sex scenes; no changes of sexual orientation; at three episodes there was little padding out; characters clearly differentiated; decent dialogue and a real plot. Now I'm looking for new suggestions: Crime Drama; Costume Drama; not into Sci Fi tho' just finished 'The Last Airbender' which ticked a few boxes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Today I saw:

"Dune: Part Two", and I think if you liked part one you will like this, I think it was a little better than part one, but much more of a cliffhanger. 

Dune: Part Two (2024) - IMDb

"Poor Things", I watched this without knowing anything about it, and I ended up liking it more than I thought I was going to at first. Great cast and some great performances.  

Poor Things (2023) - IMDb

"Geji", Thai ghost/love story. Pretty different and I thought watchable. 

Geji.jpg.b2658945bd16396cadb14e7dd5570693.jpg

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

Have you watched Kin, seasons 1 and 2? Can't beat that for a crime drama. There's also Love/Hate, equally good, but older series. There's also Taboo and The North Water.

Thanks for these; the only one I've not seen is 'The North Water'.  Checking on it now.

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

Have you watched Kin, seasons 1 and 2? Can't beat that for a crime drama. There's also Love/Hate, equally good, but older series. There's also Taboo and The North Water.

Downloading now.  Thank you.

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Today I saw:

"Dune: Part Two", and I think if you liked part one you will like this, I think it was a little better than part one, but much more of a cliffhanger

Dune: Part Two (2024) - IMDb

Watched Dune 1 last night, and a long way to nowhere.   So Dune 2 will be leaving me hanging also, awaiting Dune 3, and hopefully with a bit more anticipation of.  

I'll watch 2 when available, but I certainly wouldn't waste 100 baht, on either, as simply a time killer, since nothing else really available.  Was more curious about what the high rating was about (8 ?) ... still wondering :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Watched Dune 1 last night, and a long way to nowhere.   So Dune 2 will be leaving me hanging also, awaiting Dune 3, and hopefully with a bit more anticipation of.  

I'll watch 2 when available, but I certainly wouldn't waste 100 baht, on either, as simply a time killer, since nothing else really available.  Was more curious about what the high rating was about (8 ?) ... still wondering :coffee1:

A lot of people love this kind of stuff, and it was a pretty epic production.  Huge plot holes have to be ignored, but audio and special effects are great. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2024 at 3:58 PM, Pouatchee said:

Shogun Season 1

When a mysterious European ship is found marooned in a nearby fishing village, Lord Yoshii Toranaga discovers secrets that could tip the scales of power and devastate his enemies.

Genres:  Adventure, Drama, History

Actors:  Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis, Anna Sawai

Directors:  

Countries:  United States

Watched the first two episodes. Cinematography is dreary, full of gloom, and washed out. Seems like they've shot the scenes so they fit the subtitles, instead of the other way around. Lots of yacking. And the characters seem faceless. Some guy named Cosmo is in Richard Chamberlain's role of Balckthorne. And non-entities in Mifune's role as Toranaga and in John Rhys-Davies' Rodriguez. Chamberlain, Mifune, and Rhys-Davies were bigger than life characters. The Cosmo guy looks like he's selling perfume on TV.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Watched the first two episodes. Cinematography is dreary, full of gloom, and washed out. Seems like they've shot the scenes so they fit the subtitles, instead of the other way around. Lots of yacking. And the characters seem faceless. Some guy named Cosmo is in Richard Chamberlain's role of Balckthorne. And non-entities in Mifune's role as Toranaga and in John Rhys-Davies' Rodriguez. Chamberlain, Mifune, and Rhys-Davies were bigger than life characters. The Cosmo guy looks like he's selling perfume on TV.

So one to ten, how did you like it? 

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

There's also The Terror which is very good.

If I watch horror I get bad dreams!  'Beyond Paradise' (old but S2 coming up) is gentle comedy with some characters that we can care about.  Saw 1st 2 'Shogun' episodes last night; absolutely sumptuous and the bonus for the hard of hearing (me) is 70% of the dialogue is in Japanese with clear subtitles.

Trawling through offerings on BBC iPlayer I came across the movie "Doctor Zhivago", and I had often heard about this but had never seen it, so decided to watch it after all these years.

I thought it was a good movie, if a little lengthy, but some great performances by Julie Christie, Omar Sharif, Tom Courtenay and Rob Steiger, with Alec Guinness playing a part in the movie and also contributing to the dialogue to hold it together.

So pleased that I watched it in the end, after all these years, and the ending was not what I thought it would be – – I will leave it at that.

• Like 1

Spaceman with Adam Sandler. Don't have expectations about seeing another Alien just because there's a giant spider in it.  It's basically about an astronaut (in space) who feels guilt for not paying enough attention to his pregnant wife, and the spider is a manifestation of his conscience I guess.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Spaceman with Adam Sandler. Don't have expectations about seeing another Alien just because there's a giant spider in it.  It's basically about an astronaut (in space) who feels guilt for not paying enough attention to his pregnant wife, and the spider is a manifestation of his conscience I guess.

I was looking forward to watching that movie tonight, perhaps next time you could have just comment on everything else except for the plot.

• Haha 2

On 3/1/2024 at 11:31 PM, biervoormij said:

If someone talked about American Fiction on this thread I must have missed it. I watched it the other night and thought it was a good watch.  It has a 7.6 on IMDB. It is nominated for the Best Picture at the coming Oscars. I have one watched 2 of the other movies nominated movies so do not know how it compares.

The first 2/3 was amazing, then it became complete poop at the end.

14 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I was looking forward to watching that movie tonight, perhaps next time you could have just comment on everything else except for the plot.

Well, my brief summary should decide whether you want to watch it or not. It's not as though I gave away some surprise ending. You never read a review of a movie before you watch it?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well, my brief summary should decide whether you want to watch it or not. It's not as though I gave away some surprise ending. You never read a review of a movie before you watch it?

Yep, it's in the IMDB plot, storyline, and in the trailer:

"Jakub discovers a possibly imaginary giant alien spider, who becomes his unlikely companion"

Not a Sandler fan myself, and after reading & checking out part of the trailer, gave it a pass.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I had already decided to watch it.

No, I don't read the ones that have a 'spoiler alert' warning.

• Haha 1