What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

Rimmer

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Watched it until the end, but must admit was pretty bored with it by then.

I enjoyed it but thought it should've been condensed into 5 episodes.

Thought 7 was a bit long.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/21/2024 at 12:45 PM, xylophone said:

Have watched the first 2 episodes and thought them very good.

I remember watching that in the UK when it came out. I thought it was good (then) but my memory of it is that it was very dark.

The theme tune is very memorable.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, topt said:

I remember watching that in the UK when it came out. I thought it was good (then) but my memory of it is that it was very dark.

The theme tune is very memorable.

Eric Clapton & Michael Kamen

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 11:48 PM, Jingthing said:

Yet another delicious entertainment. 

Thanks for the heads up, had never heard about this movie, but really enjoyed it.

23 hours ago, dhupverg said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I'll mention it again. Shogun is well worth watching and currently at a 9.0 on imdb.  I read the book a few times over the years as well as James Clavelle's other novels and I found this series to be highly entertaining and very well done.   

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2788316/?ref_=ttep_ov

It did get better as it went on. The 1980 original, however, is better. First, in the role of Mariko, the stunningly beautiful Yoko Shimada with the anime eyes is so much better than squint-eyed robo-cheeks Anna Sawai. And it's so much more enjoyable to watch Richard Chamberlain, a real actor, master his role, instead of the grunts coming out of Cosmo Jarvis. The original Shogun, too, was shot in Japan. The photography makes use of high contrast color, instead of the low contrast grayscaling in the new Shogun, where every day in Japan is made to look cloudy or rainy just like Canada where it was shot. I'll not go into storytelling other than to note that the TV and filmmakers of 40-50 years ago realized that every scene, shot, and line had one purpose--advance the plot--instead of quizzically drawn out shots that wallow around for no purpose.