What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

Rimmer

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I call those kind of movies "chewing gum for the eyes". Instantly forgettable.

I really should have spit it out instead of hoping for some flavor before it ended. 

• Like 1

I watched "Nowhere" (Nowhere (2023) - IMDb) last night and while it was not too bad for killing time, but almost everything about it was ridiculous. 

I understand we are to "suspend disbelief", and I am happy to do that with the premise of a movie, but not about everything all the time. It's like a bunch of lazy kids wrote it. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Finally got around to watching Yellowstone. It's gleefully awful. Kevin Costner completely phones it in, but it's soapy enough to enjoy.

I had hoped it would be more Trumpy as promised, but it def conveys the madness those types have about pretending to "preserve" the land while treating the land like a donkey show whore to squeeze every last nickel out of.

I moved here from Appalachia where similar newcomers versus gomers dramas are playing out post-Covid and the fantasies and deranged contradictions are the same.

And the shows a bit old, which implies that these butt hurt conflicts are eternal. They def like the idea of bullying people with violence to toe their retard Jesus line.

My in-laws also want hot looking women who are hellcats in bed like on the show, but who are also fit to meet pie bakin' Mom, but God didn't make nearly enough of them to go around. 

I caught a few random episodes of Yellostone .... I thought it was a shame that such good production values and actors was wasted on a sub-Dallas storyline.

And (spoiler alert) could you really kill someone by throwing a snake at them?

• Like 1

After not one but two series based on not much more than a pun title - 'Surreal Estate', now comes not one but THREE series of 'Hightown' set in an enclave of Cape Cod & featuring various police forces battling it out for ownership of a recent corpse.  Cue a plethora of different characters against a background of hedonistic sex much of it lesbian.  Not sure how much sympathy viewers are likely to have with a coke-sniffing, booze-swigging female detective tho' she does sign up for rehab in the last minutes of E1.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

... now comes not one but THREE series of 'Hightown' set in an enclave of Cape Cod & featuring various police forces battling it out for ownership of a recent corpse.  

I liked season 1 & 2.  Haven't started 3 yet, as I'll wait till it's completed.

Watching 'The Wire' now, and how that is a 9.3 is mind boggling.   Season 1 was really slow going, with little to no action.   Only stuck with it, as out of things to watch, and I do like a few of the actors.

Wonder if it got such a high rating for being woke, as a male (gang bangers) :cheesy: and a  female couple. along with 90% of cast are black, but really expected since location.

Season 2 better step up the action.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 4

Last night I watched a film that has been seemingly lost in the annals of time, yet is so pertinent to those on this forum – – namely: "The Impossible", which is about the 2004 tsunami, and is a true story about a family caught up in it.

I had forgotten much of the content of it, so I was pleased that I did download it and watch it, and what surprised me in the credits was that although much of it was shot in Thailand, the tsunami waves aspect was shot in Spain and figures and other objects were added digitally, not only that, both Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts filmed their underwater sequences in a training tank in Spain!

Well worth watching again and in it I saw a Thai guy I know here called Tao, who was drafted in as an extra for the movie, and I still see him around the place!

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Last night I watched a film that has been seemingly lost in the annals of time, yet is so pertinent to those on this forum – – namely: "The Impossible", which is about the 2004 tsunami, and is a true story about a family caught up in it.

I had forgotten much of the content of it, so I was pleased that I did download it and watch it, and what surprised me in the credits was that although much of it was shot in Thailand, the tsunami waves aspect was shot in Spain and figures and other objects were added digitally, not only that, both Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts filmed their underwater sequences in a training tank in Spain!

Well worth watching again and in it I saw a Thai guy I know here called Tao, who was drafted in as an extra for the movie, and I still see him around the place!

Yeah, surprisingly good that was. Been a while since I've seen it, worth another go.

Mindwash (2024)

4.9/10 · IMDb
Mindwash scored 4.9 out of 10 on IMDb.

Description

Motivational speaker Billy Seldom is about to become a global sensation when a catastrophic event hits. He spirals into self-destruction, while his co-dependent relationship with his girlfriend, 

gawd awful movie. i fast tracked, went back, looked everywhere... there is no catastrophic event. only catastrophe is the movie. most of the movie revolves around the main character talking to an audience we never see, this movie takes 'low budget' to a whole new level...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

The HBO version of events was much better and much more accurate. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758789/

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

The HBO version of events was much better and much more accurate. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758789/

That version consisted of "fictional characters", whereas the movie had input from the actual persons involved, with the key people being on set in the making of the movie.......couldn't be more accurate than that.

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

That version consisted of "fictional characters", whereas the movie had input from the actual persons involved, with the key people being on set in the making of the movie.......couldn't be more accurate than that.

I prefer something closer to reality. Impossible, with it's Hollywood ending where all the main white people survived completely ignored the what, 100k Thais that died. The Aftermath showed much more of the big picture with the corruption, land thefts, etc that was associated with the disaster, along with a more realistic scenario where not everyone gets out alive. 

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I prefer something closer to reality. Impossible, with it's Hollywood ending where all the main white people survived completely ignored the what, 100k Thais that died. The Aftermath showed much more of the big picture with the corruption, land thefts, etc that was associated with the disaster, along with a more realistic scenario where not everyone gets out alive. 

I was here during that time and true enough corruption was rife, with even fake "Tsunami collections" being staged around the island of Phuket, for example. However the movie focused purely on the day of the event (and a few days after) and on the experience of one particular family and that was the scope of it........and in that regard, IMO it was excellent and very realistic

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Mindwash (2024)

gawd awful movie. i fast tracked, went back, looked everywhere... there is no catastrophic event. only catastrophe is the movie. most of the movie revolves around the main character talking to an audience we never see, this movie takes 'low budget' to a whole new level...

Thx for mentioning this movie, I watched and loved it. (8)

6 minutes ago, Henk Langeweg said:

Thx for mentioning this movie, I watched and loved it. (8)

OK glad to hear it. we dont have the same tastes but that is what makes life and people interesting.

can you please tell me what the catastrophic event was? i got bored quickly but really did try to find something redeeming in the movie so i fast forwarded and backtracked trying to find this event... please share... maybe i'll watch again more patiently

all i could find on the internet was the same generic description on all the reviews

Motivational speaker Billy Seldom is about to become a global sensation when a catastrophic event hits. He spirals into self-destruction, while his co-dependent relationship with his girlfriend, 

Edited by Pouatchee

5 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

OK glad to hear it. we dont have the same tastes but that is what makes life and people interesting.

can you please tell me what the catastrophic event was? i got bored quickly but really did try to find something redeeming in the movie so i fast forwarded and backtracked trying to find this event... please share... maybe i'll watch again more patiently

all i could find on the internet was the same generic description on all the reviews

Motivational speaker Billy Seldom is about to become a global sensation when a catastrophic event hits. He spirals into self-destruction, while his co-dependent relationship with his girlfriend, 

I don't know! But 190000 dead was mentioned.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Damn. Now I'm going to have to watch it to see what it's all about. 

Whoever recommended The Promised Land (Bastarden) with Mads Mikkelsen, many thanks. Great acting, great storyline. Thai missus really enjoyed it as well. 

• Thanks 1