Sodium-ion is coming - farewell lithium???

Exciting new tech seems to be announced every month.  Glad I waited as long as I did (due to ignorance of :giggle:).  As the lithium packs seemed to peak, chemistry wise (LFP), and too old to really wait for any new tech to be mass produced.

Great for younger folks, as next 5 years and maybe they'll settle on one type and go with that.  Even lower cost & more range, though seem to have something for everyone already, budget dependent.

As we see on the threads, EV's viability is linked so much to one's location, and how the infrastructure is keeping pace or failed to.

Happy Motoring

• Like 1

My understanding is that sodium based batteries can never have the same energy/density ratio as lithium. ie for anything transport related, lithium will likely be better.

For home solar, where size / weight of storage is less of a factor, sodium might be a compelling choice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Battery tech is on a meteoric pace with a lot of proprietary tech behind the scenes.   It's like the early tech days of computers.  Very exciting!

True, but there is one difference, it could have happened a lot earlier if the oil companies hadn't ruthlessly pushed their <deleted> even though global warming has been anticipated as early as in the sixties. Now we should we should wake up and not let an other obnoxious power get a power supply monopoly. Build battery factories and set import tarifs on Chines EV, our future depends on it. <political statement removed>

10 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

True, but there is one difference, it could have happened a lot earlier if the oil companies hadn't ruthlessly pushed their <deleted> even though global warming has been anticipated as early as in the sixties. Now we should we should wake up and not let an other obnoxious power get a power supply monopoly. Build battery factories and set import tarifs on Chines EV, our future depends on it. <political statement removed>

Setting import tariffs on Chinese EV's will massively slow uptake of EV's as other countries can't make them at anywhere near the same price.  Do you really want to pay 50% more for an EV that doesn't compare well to a similarly priced ICE vehicle? The Chinese are disrupting the industry by providing better EV's than ICE at the same price.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Setting import tariffs on Chinese EV's will massively slow uptake of EV's as other countries can't make them at anywhere near the same price.  Do you really want to pay 50% more for an EV that doesn't compare well to a similarly priced ICE vehicle? The Chinese are disrupting the industry by providing better EV's than ICE at the same price.

Yes.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

4 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Yes.

Go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

Excellent news I have read already in another newspaper yesterday, the disadvantage is that this type of Batteries can be used in small Cars only due to their weight.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Runs your drill and the coffee machine :smile:

Would that be Windows or would that be Linux............

Never seen a battery coffee machine before. Wonder what would happen to the battery if the coffee got too hot. 

Never a problem with sodium cells.

I nearly got a load of sodium batteries for my Solar many years ago but the Canadian company went bust first.

You can get 'em here https://bridex.fujielectric.com/salt-water-battery

Edited by Muhendis