Thailand getting cheaper

Celsius

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

McDonald's serves some seriously high quality food, congratulations on your outstanding culinary standards. 

Better than street food

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, save the frogs said:

When I'm on the go I will grab some burgers, remove the bread, avoid the fries and coke and just eat the meat. 

I don't consider ground beef on its own junk food. 

Sounds ridiculous, don't forget that blood test to check how healthy you really are

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Celsius said:

That is for sandwich only, not a meal.

My bad.  I Googled "Big Mac set", and didn't pay enough attention.  Especially dumb because they don't call it a "set" in the USA.  It's a meal.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

How can you be at retirement age and not having 800k in a bank? What were people like you doing all their life? I don't get this.

Paying bills, taking care of kids, family perhaps? The cost of vehicle loans, mortgages, food, gas, schooling, and other amenities has a lot of people running out every month. People who have no children have things a lot easier, as well as those who don't travel. There are millions at poverty level, on welfare, food stamps etc. For every person someone knows that has it pretty good, there are many more that are struggling every month. Some live beyond their means, thinking they need to keep up with the Joneses, and this is why the debt level is so high.

11 hours ago, Nemises said:

GFC perhaps? Google it. Hope this helps. 

After 30-40 yrs of working, some equity should have been built up.  House paid off, if sold, should fund a nice 800k/oops fund in TH.  Especially with housing prices today or last 5-10 yrs.

Not so easy today starting out with inflation & housing prices, but we should have bought our houses in the 70s & 80s.

Have you kids between 20-30 yrs old, and they are out of the house around 50 yrs.  Gives you 15 ish years to plan your retirement.

800k = 18.3k GBP or 23.2 USD ... my car cost more.

On topic ... BigMac meal must have been a promo, 160 is way too cheap, as just the price of the burger.

Edited by KhunLA

11 hours ago, still kicking said:

I am 76 years old and never had McDonalds.

I took my first date to McDonald’s when I was 12yo, if I remember correctly I think the burgers were $0.15usd.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Yeah, accidents happen and it can bankrupt you especially in USA. But it's most likely what you described, that people are living beyond their means (which I don't understand and can't relate to). I don't want to turn this into dick measuring competition because I would definitely lose. But for example right now I have like 7M - 12M in Bitcoin alone. And I drive 2015 Toyota worth 250k. While my neighbor has 1M car (Fortuner). And he is paying monthly payments (because he can't afford to pay 1M in cash) which will make him pay like 2M for that car. That's pure stupidity. 

Why? I don't make money in English or interested in your mom.

Because then you might write things that actually make sense instead of trying to trash talk people you don't know

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

My bad.  I Googled "Big Mac set", and didn't pay enough attention.  Especially dumb because they don't call it a "set" in the USA.  It's a meal.

And in Kaanaadaaa it is called a "combo"

Just now, Celsius said:

And in Kaanaadaaa it is called a "combo"

What really surprised me is the amount that the fries and drink added.  I recall (maybe faulty memory) when you'd pay like $2 for a burger or $2.50-2.75 for a combo.  Certainly not 2x.

But I also remember Mickey-D double meat hamburgers for $0.99.  It was a special, but seemed to last for a long time.

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

What really surprised me is the amount that the fries and drink added.  I recall (maybe faulty memory) when you'd pay like $2 for a burger or $2.50-2.75 for a combo.  Certainly not 2x.

But I also remember Mickey-D double meat hamburgers for $0.99.  It was a special, but seemed to last for a long time.

There profit margins increases greatly if ordering the meals.   Which I never do, when I do indulge my Whopper fix.  Better to spend the extra on the extra meat patty, then it tastes like a burger, instead of a salad w/meat.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, novacova said:

I took my first date to McDonald’s when I was 12yo, if I remember correctly I think the burgers were $0.15usd.

My first experience eating macdonalds was at age 30 in Madrid Spain. Remember ordering 2 big macs and their milkshake. When I put them down on the table a thief stole one of them and ran. I gave chase and caught him outside the store and he handed my burger back to me.

Edited by freeworld
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I don't categorically define McDonald's as junk food anymore.

When I'm on the go I will grab some burgers, remove the bread, avoid the fries and coke and just eat the meat. 

I don't consider ground beef on its own junk food. 

What makes you think that's ground beef?

6 minutes ago, blazes said:

I thought Mac burgers were made of cows' lips, imported (to USA) from Brazil or Argentina or some such cow pasture.

Here is what it contains

"Every one of our McDonald's burgers is made with 100% pure beef and cooked and prepared with salt, pepper and nothing else—no fillers, no additives, no preservatives. We use the trimmings of cuts like the chuck, round and sirloin for our burgers, which are  ground and formed into our hamburger patties"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, freeworld said:

Here is what it contains

"Every one of our McDonald's burgers is made with 100% pure beef and cooked and prepared with salt, pepper and nothing else—no fillers, no additives, no preservatives. We use the trimmings of cuts like the chuck, round and sirloin for our burgers, which are  ground and formed into our hamburger patties"

Well, cows' lips would be "pure beef", right?

• Haha 1

What you should compare it to is an equivalent convenience meal here. My favourite.Pad Krapow moo gop,even up sized and with 2 fried eggs I stil can't get to 100 baht! ...and it's far tastier 

Edited by Chongalulu
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, blazes said:

Well, cows' lips would be "pure beef", right?

No that is false. They already state which cuts beef are in the burgers (chuck, round and sirloin)

They do not use these

th-3810670322.jpg.7333e3c39f58e4c9cbcf0f8e07d36cc8.jpg

https://www.tastemade.com/articles/mcfact-were-busting-8-myths-about-mcdonalds/

From npr.org

"As part of that effort, the company is inviting questions via Facebook and Twitter. And it has enlisted the help of Grant Imahara, former co-host of the Discovery Channel's Mythbusters, to help address some of the most persistent concerns. In a video posted on the company's website, Imahara tours a factory in Fresno, Calif., run by Cargill, which supplies the beef used in McD's burgers.

During the tour, we learn that no, there are no eyeballs or lips in the meat and no, there's no ammonia or lean, finely textured beef (the so-called pink slime), either.

"Beef in and beef out — nothing else is added," one Cargill worker tells Imahara."

Edited by freeworld
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Celsius said:

As long as I remember, people used to complain how McDonald's in Thailand is more expensive than in their own country.

Indeed it's currently cheaper in most countries. The Economist has run The Big Mac Index for nearly 40 years as a means of calculating a real exchange rate based on the price of a common commodity, purchasing-power parity or The Big Mac Index.

https://www.economist.com/big-mac-index

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

How can you be at retirement age and not having 800k in a bank? What were people like you doing all their life? I don't get this.

Appears to me this would be easy for a working middle class American. Can't afford food, clothing shelter never mind medical care, transportation ... Not even a contest. While the working middle class in the USA is not alone as we see plenty of Aussies, Kiwis, Europeans from various "developed counties" who are unable to live retired in their own countries. So ... we are "outsourced" to lower cost countries to try and live a working middle class retirement. Many are not as fortunate as I find myself. Unable to afford retirement in the USA, I am able to enjoy a working middle class retirement here in Thailand on my sustainable $2400.00 USD a moth ($1526 of that from SS). Economic reality of the wealth/income gap hitting the "Baby Boomer" generation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Celsius said:

As long as I remember, people used to complain how McDonald's in Thailand is more expensive than in their own country.

Well, fear no more! After being on a rice diet for the past 78 days to be able to deposit 800k baht for retirement extension, I could finally afford a MdDonald's meal. I am happy to report that the price of Big Mac set is only 165 baht, while in good ole USA is over 300. Other countries even more expensive for sho....

I'm Lovin' it!!!

That is a lot.. In the USA they just had a promotion for hamburgers at McDonalds for 1 cent.. Burger King also ran a promotion for New Years weekend to give hamburgers away for free. Your 165 baht was really a lot. 

Edited by thesetat
forget to put King
  • Confused 1