Thailand getting cheaper

Celsius

17 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Yeah, accidents happen and it can bankrupt you especially in USA. But it's most likely what you described, that people are living beyond their means (which I don't understand and can't relate to). I don't want to turn this into dick measuring competition because I would definitely lose. But for example right now I have like 7M - 12M in Bitcoin alone. And I drive 2015 Toyota worth 250k. While my neighbor has 1M car (Fortuner). And he is paying monthly payments (because he can't afford to pay 1M in cash) which will make him pay like 2M for that car. That's pure stupidity. 

Why? I don't make money in English or interested in your mom.

Too late mate. You turned this into a dick measuring contest by telling how rich and successful you are.

Bet you're fun at parties.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Celsius said:

As long as I remember, people used to complain how McDonald's in Thailand is more expensive than in their own country.

I'm happy that I don't dine in McDonald's, then I have a problem less to worry about...:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Yeah, accidents happen and it can bankrupt you especially in USA. But it's most likely what you described, that people are living beyond their means (which I don't understand and can't relate to). I don't want to turn this into dick measuring competition because I would definitely lose. But for example right now I have like 7M - 12M in Bitcoin alone. And I drive 2015 Toyota worth 250k. While my neighbor has 1M car (Fortuner). And he is paying monthly payments (because he can't afford to pay 1M in cash) which will make him pay like 2M for that car. That's pure stupidity. 

Why? I don't make money in English or interested in your mom.

Interest is like 1.5 or 2.0% on a Toyota 

4 hours ago, freeworld said:

Here is what it contains

"Every one of our McDonald's burgers is made with 100% pure beef and cooked and prepared with salt, pepper and nothing else—no fillers, no additives, no preservatives. We use the trimmings of cuts like the chuck, round and sirloin for our burgers, which are  ground and formed into our hamburger patties"

Thanks! I was starting to get paranoid. 

On 1/3/2024 at 12:43 PM, save the frogs said:

I don't categorically define McDonald's as junk food anymore.

When I'm on the go I will grab some burgers, remove the bread, avoid the fries and coke and just eat the meat. 

I don't consider ground beef on its own junk food. 

Its complete rubbish - if you want to eat rubbish, up to you.  Mind you, Mcdonalds are very smart when you think about it - take all the rubbish bits of meat, much them all up, add flavouring, some fake chips and a coffee and persuade you to pay around £6 for it (UK).  Smart - rubbish and chips £6!

They could make excrement taste good with a little flavouring - probably include that anyway.

Would you put rubbish petrol in your car?

17 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Its complete rubbish - if you want to eat rubbish, up to you. 

seems like they're using 100% ground beef. 

i won't explain why i think that's not junk food. 

i cut out the other stuff.

if they cooked the fries in healthy cooking fats, I might have some fries occasionally.

bread = gluten

coke = diabetes

On 1/3/2024 at 9:24 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

It's a genie question. When I started university I also become self employed and was doing internet gigs on the side. When i finished university 5 years later I had more then 800k Bath in my bank account. And then I could finally concerate on making money and not wasting time studying. That's why simply can't grasp how some people could work for 40 years and they don't have 800k Baht in bank. Like what are you doing 16 hours a day for 40 years that result is 200 Baht in a bank?

I hope you weren’t an English major in university. Why were you “wasting time studying“ there in the first place?

At Suvarnabhumi International Airport there are 2 McDonalds once you are past security. One was more central and charged typical western/airport prices. The other was a bit of a walk, but was half the price. Obviously I go to this one. But last time (December 2023) the price had gone up so they were both the same. Is this still the case?

Cheaper ... I think not

New year

New minimum wage

New prices at market (Makro)

Chicken thighs, last month ฿64ish kg, today ฿84

up 30% WTF

So I bought FZ Rib Eye (sliced) ฿199 for 1/2 kg :cheesy:

Get my CheeseSteak fix on.

Puff pastry, last time ฿165 ish a pack, today ฿185

22 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

What you should compare it to is an equivalent convenience meal here. My favourite.Pad Krapow moo gop,even up sized and with 2 fried eggs I stil can't get to 100 baht! ...and it's far tastier 

Macca's would be healthier.

On 1/3/2024 at 9:59 PM, Felt 35 said:

Rather a meaningless article, in my opinion.  According to the article, the median bank account was $5300.  Really tells nothing, as it is only surveying bank accounts, and not other assets that many have. 

My Dad probably never even kept that much in his bank account.  He was fond of saying that he wanted his money working for him, rather than sitting around in a bank account earning practically nothing.   So, he owned real estate and, especially, a large stock portfolio.  

Together, the real estate and dividends from the stock portfolio kept my Mom in a nice nursing home for 10 years after my Dad's death, to the tune of $70,000 a year, with the stock portfolio still intact after Mom's death, at age 101.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, save the frogs said:

seems like they're using 100% ground beef. 

Do you have any idea of just exactly what they are allowed to call beef?  Nobody in their right mind would grind up a beef stake and sell it to you for a tenth of the price - think about it.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Rather a meaningless article, in my opinion.  According to the article, the median bank account was $5300.  Really tells nothing, as it is only surveying bank accounts, and not other assets that many have. 

My Dad probably never even kept that much in his bank account.  He was fond of saying that he wanted his money working for him, rather than sitting around in a bank account earning practically nothing.   So, he owned real estate and, especially, a large stock portfolio.  

Together, the real estate and dividends from the stock portfolio kept my Mom in a nice nursing home for 10 years after my Dad's death, to the tune of $70,000 a year, with the stock portfolio still intact after Mom's death, at age 101.

Not sure if you have an eye condition thats needs to be sorted but the link you quoted was clearly about savings.... not investment portfolio's..

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Well, I was meaning median:ohmy: and not Hollywood riches with the average American.

Felt

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Do you have any idea of just exactly what they are allowed to call beef?  Nobody in their right mind would grind up a beef stake and sell it to you for a tenth of the price - think about it.

They actually use 100% ground beef, all beef.   Been that way for years.   Do try to keep up.

Besides, it's not different than what most people use at home.   Do I grind my own; short ribs & rib eye steaks for my burger ... NO

I buy frozen ground beef, just like most people.  And what parts of the steer do you think that beef comes from.

If I'm going to use it right away, and the fresh smells good, I might even get that, though very rare.  I prefer my meats out of the freezer case.  I usually don't shop for 'today's meal' any way, unless it's restaurant dining.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Not sure if you have an eye condition thats needs to be sorted but the link you quoted was clearly about savings.... not investment portfolio's..

I think you are the one with the eye condition.  Of course the article was about savings!  Duh!  That was the whole point I was commenting on.  You can't judge a person's wealth simply by looking at the cash in their savings accounts--which was the impression the article was giving.  Oh, the poor Americans, they only have an average of $5,300 in their savings accounts . . .

A more useful figure would be the average American's net worth. This is usually calculated by age range and runs, for example, from $183,500 for age less than 35 to $1,566,900 for  age 55-64.  Median figures for these two groups are $39,000 and $364,500.  Whether average or median is used, both are considerably more than $5,300.

13 minutes ago, newnative said:

I think you are the one with the eye condition.  Of course the article was about savings!  Duh!  That was the whole point I was commenting on.  You can't judge a person's wealth simply by looking at the cash in their savings accounts--which was the impression the article was giving.  Oh, the poor Americans, they only have an average of $5,300 in their savings accounts . . .

A more useful figure would be the average American's net worth. This is usually calculated by age range and runs, for example, from $183,500 for age less than 35 to $1,566,900 for  age 55-64.  Median figures for these two groups are $39,000 and $364,500.  Whether average or median is used, both are considerably more than $5,300.

You feel better now getting that off your chest ?

Hope so.

Now run along chimp.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They actually use 100% ground beef, all beef.   Been that way for years.   Do try to keep up.

Besides, it's not different than what most people use at home.   Do I grind my own; short ribs & rib eye steaks for my burger ... NO

I buy frozen ground beef, just like most people.  And what parts of the steer do you think that beef comes from.

If I'm going to use it right away, and the fresh smells good, I might even get that, though very rare.  I prefer my meats out of the freezer case.  I usually don't shop for 'today's meal' any way, unless it's restaurant dining.

Me keep up?  Most of the parts of a cow can be called beef - I suggest you check that out but it doesn't mean its all good quality.  Use your brain - the prices tell the story.  Just a quick check of prices in the UK averaged over a few suppliers for UK bred and reared beef:

Best Beef Fillet - £49.44 per kg

Lean Beef Mince (5% fat) - £6.98 per kg

The price differentials will no doubt be much the same in Thailand/Worldwide.

Nobody is going to mince up beef fillet and sell it for less than 15% of the full price. When you buy mince, ground beef, whatever you want to call it, you're buying all the cr%p in varying degrees. Up to you if you want to eat that.

Many years ago a friend unexpectedly got a contract to line out several abbatoirs and meat packers as new hygene regulations were introduced.  He called up all his mates to help out and I went to help over a few weekends as the pay he was offering was great.

We had to line out a whole cutting room with laminate panels - starting Friday night and had to be out if there by 6am Monday.  The room was basically square with cutting tables along each wall.  In the centre of the room was a huge square funnel attached to a large mincing machine.  We achieved 99.9% of our task by 6am on the Monday morning but had some minor jobs to finish that wouldn't affect production.

At 6am around guys came into the room and loaded cut up animal carcasses on to the cutting tables followed by around 20 women pushing stainless steel trolleys.  The trolleys were placed at right angles to the cutting tables and the women got to work.  Basically the various cuts of meat were cut from the carcasses an placed on various trolley shelves according to what they were.  All the time the women were throwing things over their shoulders into the funnel on the mincing machine.  I won't list all the things that went into there but it included ears, tongues and sinews.

Expecting it to be animal food, I asked the manager what the contents being minced up in the huge mincing machine would be used for.  Sausages and minced beef etc. was the answer.  Burgers weren't so popular in those days but I am absolutely sure the same meat will be used for them. I asked him what best mince was - his answer was 'less cr%p but still crap, we don't make that here, too much messing around.  The actual meat used for animal food was parts cut off the carcasses on division which was minced up in a different room.

I haven't touched a sausage since then and in my entire life, I've probably eaten less than 50 burgers. I eat less and less meat and what I do buy is easliy indentifiable as fillet, steak etc.  That goes for beef, pork. chicken and any other meat.

Yes, burgers and sausages etc. can taste great but that taste comes from the flavouring that's put in.  They are also 'bulked up' using waste cereal products, breads etc.

You're welcome to it mate but don't try to tell me to keep up - I'm fully 'kept up' - its you that puts cr%p in to your body.

The prices speak for themselves.

Edited by MangoKorat

On 1/3/2024 at 8:56 AM, Celsius said:

. I am happy to report that the price of Big Mac set is only 165 baht, while in good ole USA is over 300.

USA isn't the only country on Earth, let alone the best or cheap one. How many countries have you compared it with?

5 hours ago, david888 said:

USA isn't the only country on Earth

It is the only one that has mass school shootings as a national sport though !!

"sending thought and prayers".....................

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, david888 said:

I am happy to report that the price of Big Mac set is only 165 baht, while in good ole USA is over 300.

My Rompho market chicken/rice/ soup street food lunch is 45 B and 100x better than any Big Mac -:)