Flying into Thailand

Hi all, 

Just a quick question, because I am seeing conflicting information on the web (surprise surprise!). 

How many times in one year can somebody who doesn't already have a visa (a Brit, if it matters) fly into Thailand and receive a 30 day VOA?

Some say six times, others say it's unlimited, but I always come here for a definitive answer. 

Thanks loads, and happy new year! 

3 minutes ago, whophant said:

Some say six times, others say it's unlimited, but I always come here for a definitive 

You wont get a definitive answer as  I entered 4 times visa exempt last year,yet others will state you can now only enter twice.

• Haha 1

Last month, I did my 9th visa exempt entry into Thailand in 2023.  US citizen and I generally stay about a week.  For me, it's a visa run from China, where my 10 year tourist visa only allows me 30 days at a time.

Not a peep from Thai immigration.  Just smiles and a stamp.  Suvarnabhumi.

Edit:  YMMV.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, mlkik said:

You wont get a definitive answer as  I entered 4 times visa exempt last year,yet others will state you can now only enter twice.

Thinking the folk that mentioned "twice" are referring to visa exempt via land borders and yes that is limited to 2 per calendar year.

As for entries via air there is no stated limit. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

As a Brit you'll enter VE (visa exempt), not a visa on arrival (VOA)

Good heads up.

That may sound like a subtle, even pedantic distinction.  But it determines which queue you want to get in on arrival.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

That may sound like a subtle, even pedantic distinction.  But it determines which queue you want to get in on arrival.

Far from pedantic.

It determines the #of days you are given and ability to obtain extension.

Completely different animals. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, it's all about length of stay per visit and time between visits. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Hi Doc, for 2024 i now prefer considering 5 ve's @ 30 days each evenly spaced apart by approx 43 days  (150 days in 215 days out). What do you reckon my chances of success as a 73 yo age pensioner would be ........i am confused by IO discretionary swings and want to avoid agents, immigration offices both here in Australia and Thailand eg Jomtien. 

1 hour ago, whophant said:

Hi all, 

Just a quick question, because I am seeing conflicting information on the web (surprise surprise!). 

How many times in one year can somebody who doesn't already have a visa (a Brit, if it matters) fly into Thailand and receive a 30 day VOA?

Some say six times, others say it's unlimited, but I always come here for a definitive answer. 

Bangkok and Phuket airport IOs have become stricter in recent years (definitely from 2019 on), so trying to enter six times in a year for VOA would be pushing it. You might be lucky to succeed, but be prepared to be denied after the third or fourth time. In any case, please report your experience.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

13 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Bangkok and Phuket airport IOs have become stricter in recent years (definitely from 2019 on), so trying to enter six times in a year for VOA would be pushing it. You might be lucky to succeed, but be prepared to be denied after the third or fourth time. In any case, please report your experience.

I think you'll find that people who get denied after the 3rd or 4th time maxed out those 3-4 visa exempt stays, maybe even with extensions, with very little time spent outside of Thailand in between.

For relatively short visits (compared with the time spent outside of Thailand), it's still perfectly acceptable to visit Thailand visa exempt frequently.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bvor said:

Hi Doc, for 2024 i now prefer considering 5 ve's @ 30 days each evenly spaced apart by approx 43 days  (150 days in 215 days out). What do you reckon my chances of success as a 73 yo age pensioner would be ........i am confused by IO discretionary swings and want to avoid agents, immigration offices both here in Australia and Thailand eg Jomtien. 

Cannot see any issue with your plan.

The two big positives is that only shortish stays (30 days) and good gap between visits.

No issue.

Without being rude you age is also a positive. Doubtful you are working in Thailand.

Be aware that for visa exempt entry the airline at departure from Oz will want to see return/onward flight within 30 days. 

Jetstar one example.

Ways around this if you decide to obtain an extension at immigration.

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Without being rude you age is also a positive. Doubtful you are working in Thailand.

thx for reply. 

yeah thats why i mentioned age and hope that IO is not using Clint Eastwoods Mule movie as a learning tool for trainee muppets.

I have other reasons to give IO that should support my plan. eg no evisa online in Australia and also no visa's issued from Perth my home city. Nearest visa issuing office is Canberra (1000's of km away) and anyways i don't want more then 30 days.  

cheers

1 hour ago, Bvor said:

there is no 150 day rule....getting a tourist visa will help.

3 minutes ago, Bvor said:

Nearest visa issuing office is Canberra (1000's of km away) and anyways i don't want more then 30 days

I realize not related to your question however if your plans change in the future and you require far more extensive stay in Thailand you can obtain METV via mail from Canberra 

7 minutes ago, ericthai said:

there is no 150 day rule....getting a tourist visa will help.

Correct, I only mentioned 150 days in 215 days out to substantiate that i live in Australia and holiday in Thailand and it fits 5 VE's.

"Official rules" suggest that getting a tourist visa for 30 day or less stays seems unnecessary plus I don't want to risk my passport getting lost or damaged by Australia Post in a near 8000 km return

journey re Canberra visa issuance.

I doubt very much that i will be refused entry maybe just asked to explain my circumstances. 

cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, whophant said:

Hi all, 

Your terminology tells me that you are a low-information person or that your skills do not let you sort out the chaff from the grains. Good luck. There is no VOA for British passport holders. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
8 hours ago, impulse said:

Far from pedantic.

It determines the #of days you are given and ability to obtain extension.

Completely different animals. 

True, and good info.  But since I don't think the OP even has the option of getting a VOA, the only practical implication is which queue he gets in when he arrives. 

Or is it possible for a Brit or a Yank to get a VOA?  If it is, I am mistaken.  Would not be the first time.

I used the term "pedantic" because of all the silly flame wars I've read over the years, posters calling each other all kinds of names when they confused the two.  (some of that popping up in this thread)  Perhaps a better term would have been "semantic", because VOA and VE are often confused here, but do not mean the same thing.

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thinking the folk that mentioned "twice" are referring to visa exempt via land borders and yes that is limited to 2 per calendar year.

That was my understanding but Embassies are now displaying the following

Screenshot_20240105-073413_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, mlkik said:

That was my understanding but Embassies are now displaying the following

That information from London embassy is incorrect.

Nothing unusual. 

Occurs often. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, scorecard said:

With respect, he passed away a few months ago, RIP Joe. 

Passed away is only a euphemism for died.

There was no disrespect.

He was a very positive contributor to the board on visa issues 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1