Is VON KARAJAN's Brandenburg THE Most Magnificent Music YOU Have Ever Heard?

Hi Folks,

I have been listening to Von Karajan for many, MANY years.

Here is my favorite which is the Great Von Conducting the Great JS Bach's Brandenburg.

What do you think?

Good?

Great?

Sublime?

Uplifting?

Music for the GODS?

JS Bach composed for God.

And, Von Karajan was Godlike in his interpretation of JS Bach.

So, I will try to attach the music here, if I can.

Let's hope all goes as well as it should.

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  I have chosen to upload the compressed file I was able to find somewhere on the internet.  You can just use something like 7UP to decompress the contained files, and listen.  Truly Magnificent.

Von Karajan and JS Bach are two of the things that make life worth living for me.

NOTE2:  Normally, I do not try to be so uplifting in my Topics because most people here are living in the gutter, I assume, and dislike any reference to a higher plane of life.  Still, if you listen to JS Bach, the music can change your brain for the better.  Of course, not all people on TV will be able to listen...since....I assume...they might just not have what it takes....IQ-wise.

NOTE3:  The reason I posted this Topic here is because.....The Farang Pub needs a bit more uplifting class, and Classical....

J.S. Bach - The Brandenburg Concertos (Karajan) (1965) [FLAC]-20230407T052818Z-001.zip

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, jvs said:

I have heard it,not really impressed by it.

Thanks for the insult,guess what that makes you?

Full of irony?

This is my best guess, by the way....

Chill...a bit....dude!

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1

Could be.

I've long been partial to #3, the aggressiveness of the cellos and bass hits me in the stomach. I also love the power that von Karajan brings as the piece resolves into the final stanzas. Very German.

But other times I'm partial to Brahms' 1st, sometimes called Beethoven's 10th.

Agree, Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker was an audio masterpiece, captured exquisitely by Deutsche Grammophon,  as this rendition of "An der schönen blauen Donau" written by Johann Strauss II in 1866 clearly shows.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I believe in JS Bach.

JS Bach believed in God.

Yah, yah yah.

God is a concept
By which we measure
Our pain
I'll say it again
God is a concept
By which we measure
Our pain
I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-Ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in Tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga
I don't believe in Kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me

• Sad 1

Brandenburg 1-6 is the only classical music that I have ever purchased and it is mesmerising, especially #4. It was on Deutsche Grammaphon but I can't remember the conductor.

I like to think that I have a very logical and mathematical mind (I was an accountant) and I believe that is why I click with J S Bach.

Some may argue, but I think that Aphex Twin/Richard D James shows a similar genius.

Edited by London Lowf

4 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Brandenburg 1-6 is the only classical music that I have ever purchased and it is mesmerising, especially #4. It was on Deutsche Grammaphon but I can't remember the conductor.

I like to think that I have a very logical and mathematical mind (I was an accountant) and I believe that is why I click with J S Bach.

Some may argue, but I think that Aphex Twin/Richard D James shows a similar genius.

Actually, I might think that The Brandenburg is sort of entry-level Bach.

And then, branch out from there....

Maybe, after a while, listen to Rostropovich and Cello Solo....for example.

Also, the Bach cantatas are amazing....

35 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

In return, I suggest you give XMAS_EVET10 from the Syro album a try - if you can listen a few times then play it at half speed to truly appreciate the complexity and creativity.

Besides playing it at half speed, you should really try playing it at quarter speed...BACKWARDS.....

Be creative!

I listen a lot to Classic FM, where they tell you, after each piece, which orchestra & which conductor. Never when & where it was recorded, which would make a big difference to the sound.

I often wonder whether aficionados would be able to tell who, for example, was conducting a particular piece.

Poppycock.

http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics2/brandenburg.html

Yet, despite the philosophical depth of such analyses and the extraordinary density and logic of Bach's conception that leads academics to fruitfully dissect his scores, commentators constantly remind us that the Brandenburgs were not intended to dazzle theorists or challenge intellectuals, but rather for sheer enjoyment by musicians and listeners.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I listen a lot to Classic FM, where they tell you, after each piece, which orchestra & which conductor. Never when & where it was recorded, which would make a big difference to the sound.

I often wonder whether aficionados would be able to tell who, for example, was conducting a particular piece.

The point is... One listens to the same piece of music performed by different musicians, composers, and orchestras and form opinions about which is preferred. 

I prefer chamber music, and I know which performance I prefer compared to others. It's just a matter of preference, based on various important factors. 

Not obvious to me why anyone who claims to know about 'classical' music would want to hear any large modern symphony orchestra playing Bach, when his orchestral musics were written for whatever he had to hand - never more than 15 or 20 players - and of course on a different set of instruments tuned rather differently.

You may be listening to Karajan but you're not listening to Bach.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hi Folks,

I have been listening to Von Karajan for many, MANY years.

Here is my favorite which is the Great Von Conducting the Great JS Bach's Brandenburg.

What do you think?

Good?

Great?

Sublime?

Uplifting?

Music for the GODS?

JS Bach composed for God.

And, Von Karajan was Godlike in his interpretation of JS Bach.

So, I will try to attach the music here, if I can.

Let's hope all goes as well as it should.

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  I have chosen to upload the compressed file I was able to find somewhere on the internet.  You can just use something like 7UP to decompress the contained files, and listen.  Truly Magnificent.

Von Karajan and JS Bach are two of the things that make life worth living for me.

NOTE2:  Normally, I do not try to be so uplifting in my Topics because most people here are living in the gutter, I assume, and dislike any reference to a higher plane of life.  Still, if you listen to JS Bach, the music can change your brain for the better.  Of course, not all people on TV will be able to listen...since....I assume...they might just not have what it takes....IQ-wise.

NOTE3:  The reason I posted this Topic here is because.....The Farang Pub needs a bit more uplifting class, and Classical....

J.S. Bach - The Brandenburg Concertos (Karajan) (1965) [FLAC]-20230407T052818Z-001.zip 817.08 MB · 9 downloads

Perhaps you can tell us mere mortals what pub you frequent in the community. So we are forewarned and avoid it. 

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The point is... One listens to the same piece of music performed by different musicians, composers, and orchestras and form opinions about which is preferred. 

I prefer chamber music, and I know which performance I prefer compared to others. It's just a matter of preference, based on various important factors. 

Yes Gamma, I agree. Just listened to the one you posted, recorded in 1965. Compared it to a version from 2015, unknown conductor, and it is far superior in sound quality, both being flacs via VLC player.

But I guess you wouldn't hear the difference in take 25 or 30 of Good Vibrations. Cheers, have a good day.

10 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Not obvious to me why anyone who claims to know about 'classical' music would want to hear any large modern symphony orchestra playing Bach, when his orchestral musics were written for whatever he had to hand - never more than 15 or 20 players - and of course on a different set of instruments tuned rather differently.

You may be listening to Karajan but you're not listening to Bach.

Normally, I prefer chamber music.

Baroque is what I prefer.

Anyway, there are musicians that use period instruments to play Bach.  This is an old debate.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Perhaps you can tell us mere mortals what pub you frequent in the community. So we are forewarned and avoid it. 

The farang pub.

Only the Farang Pub on TV....of course.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

12 hours ago, retarius said:

I agree it is sublime, but I personally would rather listen to Karajan's version on DG of Beethoven's 9th. 

Karajan is great.

He has produced a great many recordings.

Though he may have joined the Nazi party, I still appreciate the recordings he produced.

14 hours ago, retarius said:

I agree it is sublime, but I personally would rather listen to Karajan's version on DG of Beethoven's 9th. 

The Brandenburg Concertos are great for stress reduction and evoke a feeling of optimism. I already noted a personal appreciation of Brahms' 1st, particularly the last few movements, as it elicits the same feelings. I can listen to Bach, Brahms, Liszt, SL Weiss' famous Passacaglia in D Major, Julian Bream playing Sevilla...and enjoy them all, but if I put on Beethoven's 9th (I have the von Karajan on LP), what hits hardest is the incredible complexity of it.

It is no wonder the symphony is so famous, as it is arguably the zenith of Western classical music.