Online scams surge in Thailand warns Central Investigation Bureau

webfact

image.jpeg

A surge in online scams, driven by the significant increase in internet-based activities, is anticipated to continue throughout this year, warned Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) commissioner Jirabhop Bhuridej. The CIB’s analysis of cybercrime, as reported by the Royal Thai Police (RTP), indicated that over 400,000 cases were logged between March 1 and November 30 of last year.

Cronulla Sharks handed a dream run while Melbourne Storm and Parramatta Eels face horror schedule in 2024 as NRL draw is released, and other top stories from November 13, 2023.

Misleading operations involving counterfeit or below-standard goods and services were the most common, comprising 40.8% of cases. However, it was fraudulent investment schemes that resulted in the greatest financial loss, with over 16 billion baht (US$461,494,080) reported missing.

Figures between November 2022 and November 2023 indicated that online scams remained consistent, with around 21,000 cases reported each month. The CIB commissioner highlighted this data as evidence of the persistent threat from online scams and an urgent need for preventative measures.

by Mitch Connor

Picture courtesy of Bangkok Post

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

2 hours ago, webfact said:

A surge in online scams, driven by the significant increase in internet-based activities, is anticipated to continue throughout this year

The dark side of the web... 

Who's afraid of online scams? Just don't click on that fishy-looking link, and don't transfer money to people, or companies you don't know... Can all be easily avoided with common sense.

'Offline' scams in Thailand are much more an issue. Double-pricing, the taxi driver who turns off the meter as soon as you are on the road, the Immigration officer who fines you because someone else didn't register you, etc., etc.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Was watching some YouTube videos by "Scammer Payback" over the last 2 weeks. This guy (Pirogi) is a hacker who coordinates his hacks with US Law enforcement, that hacks into scamming call centers in India and copies all their data and then deletes their files and uses the copied data as evidence to get many of the sites shut down and the scammers arrested. In one episode, in the copied victims list, there were so many Thais that had been scammed out of amounts of 1 million baht or more.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Misleading operations involving counterfeit or below-standard goods and services were the most common, comprising 40.8% of cases.

What do you expect when, even when they are made aware of it, nothing get done.

You will have seen my posts about the scams I have reported to Shopee and Lazada, with all the evidence, and no action is taken. Nada, Zilch, nothing at all.

This is the latest one

https://aseannow.com/topic/1316072-internal-hard-drives-buy-in-thailand-or-from-overseas-half-price/?do=findComment&comment=18602076

Now this morning I called the anti-online scam organisation of the Thai government in the hope to get something going.

First number I called didn't get answered. About an hour later i called the 1441 number and that got answered, but no English.

Some time later, someone who pretended to speak English called me back.

I explained the whole story about all the scams I had reported to Shopee / Lazada, and they kept asking how much I had paid.

I kept telling the lady that I didn't order from scammers that were so obvious to see through, but that I had all the evidence to prove it was a scam. She kept asking how much I lost, and told me to go to the police station.

After 20 minutes of talking to someone who was obviously not interested in it, i hung up

• Like 1