Mysterious mass death at Chiang Mai Night Safari shocks Thailand

webfact

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I was answering the member who suggested a trip to Africa. Read it again. 

And it would be a 7000 mile trip for me to get to San Diego, so no thanks, I'll go to the North Pole to see the pe

Edited by Spamhead
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Is that even possible.  As when first opened, after viewing the exotic animals, you could dine on exotic animals ... or so I read in the news.   Thankfully, hopefully they stopped that practice.

Please don't visit zoos, wild animals belong in the wild ... IMHO ... if you want to see, download Atterberg's excellent 'Planet' series.

By visiting, supporting zoos, all you do is perpetuate the continued animal abuse ... IMHO

Atterberg???  Would that be David Attenborough?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Still not an excuse to treat animals inhumanely like many zoos do.

"moving the goalpost..."  the point was not to mistreat them, the question is more generally, whether raising animals in captivity is moral, yes or no.  If you think not, then we should release all dogs, cats, hamsters, birds, etc into the wild.  If you are ok with captured birds in peoples' homes, then you should be ok with tigers, assuming they are treated well.  I think either are valid viewpoints, but usually people do not think this through very well or argue this point.  

Edited by wealthychef
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, kennypowers said:

It's a ghastly place that should be closed down, and where possible the animals retired in large, natural reserves of their native countries. 

Are we talking about zoos here or Nana Plaza?  :wink:

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2024 at 12:59 AM, KhunLA said:

Is that even possible.  As when first opened, after viewing the exotic animals, you could dine on exotic animals ... or so I read in the news.   Thankfully, hopefully they stopped that practice.

Please don't visit zoos, wild animals belong in the wild ... IMHO ... if you want to see, download Atterberg's excellent 'Planet' series.

By visiting, supporting zoos, all you do is perpetuate the continued animal abuse ... IMHO

If you look at the history of this and other wildlife attractions in Thailand it is pretty clear they need either to be shut down or totally re-built - their base philosophies towards wildlfe and animal welfare are rotten to the core.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, kwilco said:

why do you think you have the right to stare at wild animals?

I meant in their wild environment.

And I think you got the wrong meaning of the part of my post you are quoting. The member I was replying to said something about going on a $10,000 safari to Africa

Edited by KannikaP

Every second thing that happens in TH there are calls for “PM to investigate”

says a bit about the shambolic state of politics in the country 

ffs as if this should even raise a mention at govt level

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I meant in their wild environment.

And I think you got the wrong meaning of the part of my post you are quoting. The member I was replying to said something about going on a $10,000 safari to Africa

THe problem with tourism in Thailand is that for some inexplicable reason people think they should stare at animals - they wouldn't think of doing it at home. ....and Thailand businessmen are keen to seize the opportunity to set up these displays/attractions and don't have to worry about any strict laws on animal welfare or their enforcement. THailand still has a large "virgin" eco-system and it is very important to the rest of the country - it provides water regulateds climate and can be a tourist resource. THe obsession with putting animals in cages so we can look at them is destroying all that and needs to be ended.

As for animals in the wild in Thailand, the National parks are so badly funded they are incapable of managing them properly and the employees are wide open to corruption. 

Te first thing the Thai government should do is embark upon a policy of closing down all these zoos or so-called sanctuaries, rescues, shelters safari prks or whatever they choose to call themselves and set about a national program to deal with all the bused animals both in captivity and in the wild - they can still attract tourism, but the right kind, noty the moronic gawpers that finance these horrendous places.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 7:37 AM, webfact said:

Several other animals had also died or disappeared, allegedly due to predation by pythons

Pythons or Chinese?

Pythons can just go into an enclosure and eat the animals, then slither back out? :huh:

On 1/10/2024 at 1:40 PM, KannikaP said:

was answering the member who suggested a trip to Africa. Read it again. 

And it would be a 7000 mile trip for me to get to San Diego, so no thanks, I'll go to the North Pole to see the penguins instead.

Good luck with that! seeing penguins at the North polar means you have taken a wrong turn, there's a reason why Polar bears don't attack and eat penguins, do you know why?

14 hours ago, phetpeter said:

Good luck with that! seeing penguins at the North polar means you have taken a wrong turn, there's a reason why Polar bears don't attack and eat penguins, do you know why?

Yes, because they cannot get the wrappers off.

Read a previous post of mine, where I said I only put that to separate the men from the boys. I know & you do, but how many others do? 555

On 1/10/2024 at 8:10 AM, KannikaP said:

Hmmm where shall I go, Grand Canyon, Taj Mahal, Machu Pichu, Pyramids, Eiffel Tower.............

Nah Chiag Mai Zoo        555

Night Safari is the topic, not the zoo !

22 minutes ago, 0815 said:

Night Safari is the topic, not the zoo !

OK. Hmmmm where shall I go, Grand Canyon, Taj Mahal, Machu Pichu, Pyramids, Eiffel Tower..........Nah, Chiang Mai Night Safari.

Is that better?