Mysterious mass death at Chiang Mai Night Safari shocks Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

Chiang Mai Night Safari, a popular tourist attraction in Thailand, has faced a mysterious mass death of 13 endangered animals, a significant blow to the country’s wildlife. The casualties include a valuable white tiger, with veterinarians attributing the deaths to various causes, including natural ageing and diseases.

Visitors to the Chiang Mai Night Safari had expressed disappointment, reporting that the number of rare and expensive animals was significantly reduced. They lamented that the entrance fee did not justify the experience, considering the scarcity of unique wildlife.

The management of Chiang Mai Night Safari and the Office of Natural Resources and Environment, the supervising authority, convened a meeting to discuss the alarming situation. The veterinary team reported that in December 2023, 13 animals, including a large white tiger, had died. They attributed the tiger’s death to ageing and stated that another white tiger cub had died earlier, at less than ten months due to weak health and infection. Several other animals had also died or disappeared, allegedly due to predation by pythons, preventing the recovery of their remains.

This situation has prompted a call for the prime minister and responsible ministers to investigate the matter urgently. If left unresolved, the dwindling wildlife population could tarnish the reputation of Chiang Mai Night Safari, renowned as one of the world’s top tourist attractions. The Safari currently attracts no less than 2,000 visitors each day.

Full story: [source name + source link] 2024-01-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of Khao Sod

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Hmmm where shall I go, Grand Canyon, Taj Mahal, Machu Pichu, Pyramids, Eiffel Tower.............

Nah Chiag Mai Zoo        555

My favorite is the San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park.  While stationed in San Diego during the 1960's I often spent my weekends there.  Besides the zoo, there are several excellent museums.  Was very affordable with my military discount.  Now the entry fee is as much as I made for a month's pay in the Navy.  That was 60 years ago.

Today, the zoo alone attracts 11,000 visitors a day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Some animal parts are valuable for medical purposes.  E.g. tiger weenie broth supposedly does wonders for the consumer's weenie.  Gets a pretty penny, so I'm told.

Allegedly. And only in third World countries.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Adult foreigner THB 1200

Child THB 600

Adult Thai THB 300

Child THB 150

4 Times the local price for foreigners.

Went once years ago, never been since. Not the way to see animals.

I have a Thai Pink ID - Thai prices for me every time lol

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai Night Safari, a popular tourist attraction in Thailand, has faced a mysterious mass death of 13 endangered animals, a significant blow to the country’s wildlife. The casualties include a valuable white tiger, with veterinarians attributing the deaths to various causes, including natural ageing and diseases.

The Thaiger's top reporter strikes again. He never disappoints. Has The Thaiger no idea how ridiculous they look, publishing such careless journalism?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Unfortunately for most, it is the only way for them to see animals - live.

I am not condoning zoos, but the alterative is say, 10,000 USD to go to one of the African countries.

And if I want to see penguins or polar bears???

5 hours ago, webfact said:

This situation has prompted a call for the prime minister and responsible ministers to investigate the matter urgently. If left unresolved, the dwindling wildlife population could tarnish the reputation of Chiang Mai Night Safari, renowned as one of the world’s top tourist attractions

Really?

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Is that even possible.  As when first opened, after viewing the exotic animals, you could dine on exotic animals ... or so I read in the news.   Thankfully, hopefully they stopped that practice.

Please don't visit zoos, wild animals belong in the wild ... IMHO ... if you want to see, download Atterberg's excellent 'Planet' series.

By visiting, supporting zoos, all you do is perpetuate the continued animal abuse ... IMHO

There is an argument that if certain species were not 'protected' in zoo's then the poachers would wipe them out. Concerning size of enclosurers; I visited Buenos Aires zoo and was most impressed with the areas available to the larger animals. You almost needed binoculars to see the giraffes up close!

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Then put the price for Thais up to the same as for falangs.

when Thais are paid the same as falangs you'll have my support on that one. Util then dont be stingy, you can afford it......clearly. 

• Sad 1