Any limit to number of times you can obtain tourist visa in one year?

I'm a U.S. citizen who recently obtained a 60-day, multi-entry Thailand tourist visa.  Is there a limit to the number of times per year that I can obtain such a visa?  I plan to leave before the end of January (2024) but may return in August.  I'm thinking it will be too late to re-enter using my initial visa so I will need to re-apply for a new one.  Is this allowed?  Thanks.

I'm a US citizen and last month I entered Thailand for the 9th time in 2023 with no visa at all.  Unless you're planning on staying beyond the 30 days afforded by visa exempt, I wouldn't bother with a visa at all.

To be clear, I stay about a week at a time, once a month.   Entering Suvarnabumi. 

I may suggest differently if you're planning to stay for an extended period as opposed to quick in and outs.  Depends on exact details of your travel plans.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, desperado9 said:

..so I will need to re-apply for a new one.  Is this allowed? 

Yes, this is allowed and Thailand will welcome you back with open arms.

1 hour ago, desperado9 said:

I plan to leave before the end of January (2024) but may return in August.  I'm thinking it will be too late to re-enter using my initial visa so I will need to re-apply for a new one.

Not sure what visa you have.

A METV provides a 60 day stamp on entry and without extension you need to exit and reenter Thailand..

Your visa has valid until date.

Don't follow the exit prior to end January and may return August.

54 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm a US citizen and last month I entered Thailand for the 9th time in 2023 with no visa at all.  Unless you're planning on staying beyond the 30 days afforded by visa exempt, I wouldn't bother with a visa at all.

To be clear, I stay about a week at a time, once a month.   Entering Suvarnabumi. 

I may suggest differently if you're planning to stay for an extended period as opposed to quick in and outs.  Depends on exact details of your travel plans.

What's your recommendation for intervals between visa exempt visits?

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

What's your recommendation for intervals between visa exempt visits?

The post you quoted is an outliner.

9 entries in one year each only a week makes it atypical.

Not relevant 

14 hours ago, impulse said:

Thanks but I plan to stay longer.

3 minutes ago, desperado9 said:

Thanks but I plan to stay longer.

I have no experience staying longer, so no advice.  Other than, "don't do what I did, then".

Best of luck.

This really depends on your individual embassy, there's no hard rule.

Factors like your age might come into play as well; does the consular officer believe that you likely have the time and the means for long holidays or is it more likely that you (ab)use your extended stays in Thailand to work here illegally.