US and UK hint at military action after largest Houthi attack in Red Sea

CharlieH

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

This satellite is insufficient to track ships passing through a small area. The satellite is in a sun-sychronous orbit, which means it follows the terminator between sunrise/sunset (or vice versa). So if a ship is traveling at night, or mid-day, the satellite can't see it.

BS!

Please provide a link that either this satellite or either of the Noor satellites are in sun-synchronous orbit and why would a country in the middle east use such a system?

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

BS!

Please provide a link that either this satellite or either of the Noor satellites are in sun-synchronous orbit and why would a country in the middle east use such a system?

https://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=53370

Khayyam is in a 97 degree orbit at ~500 km. That's sun synchronous.

Why would anyone use a sun synchronous orbit? For consistent solar illumination of domestic targets. All US earth resources satellites use sun synchronous orbits.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

This satellite is insufficient to track ships passing through a small area. The satellite is in a sun-sychronous orbit, which means it follows the terminator between sunrise/sunset (or vice versa). So if a ship is traveling at night, or mid-day, the satellite can't see it.

I'm not sure if the Iranians have a global tracking ground station network, and if not, even if the satellite were passing over a ship in the Red Sea, Iran might not know.

Iran could put a ground station in Yemen, but the US would probably knock that out first.

Update: Iran says that it inly has ground stations in Iran, and that the satellite is only used over Iran.

Probably more to do with surveillance vessels in the area (aka 'spy ships'). There are some references peppering media regarding current situation and past incidents (one of them was sabotages a while back).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Morch said:

Probably more to do with surveillance vessels in the area (aka 'spy ships'). There are some references peppering media regarding current situation and past incidents (one of them was sabotages a while back).

There was talk about an Iranian spy ship in the area.

The question is how to make that spy ship go away?

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

There was talk about an Iranian spy ship in the area.

The question is how to make that spy ship go away?

Referenced in my post.....

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2024 at 11:55 AM, Morch said:

That would be accepting the Houthis taking international maritime traffic and trade hostage whenever they feel like.

Great precedent.

Whether great or not, the precedent has been set. Some problems just aren't solvable. At least not at a feasible cost.

Maersk Says Expanded Houthi Attacks Are Forcing More Delays
The shipping company said the militia had recently tried to attack ships farther from the shore of Yemen, putting more strain on logistics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/06/business/maersk-houthi-red-sea-shipping.html

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:02 PM, Morch said:

@thaibeachlovers

Being the strategic genius that you are, how would you tackle the fact that this group is disrupting international maritime commerce?

Given that you are on ignore I probably never answered you.

I'd make the israelis stop killing Gazans. The Houthis are only doing it because of the Gaza conflict.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

WOW. THREE months since anyone commented on this thread. Is that because the Houthis stopped attacking israeli aligned shipping or because it just wasn't very interesting?

AFAIK, no new news about Houthi attacks.

• Agree 1

On 1/12/2024 at 3:08 PM, Hawaiian said:

It will be interesting to see what the response by the Houthis will be.  Once they run out of drones and missiles the huffing and puffing will be just that.  The coalition forces will block any attempt at replenishment of these weapon systems.

And when can we expect their weapon supplies to be exhausted?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And when can we expect their weapon supplies to be exhausted?

From my previous post: "The U.S. military has suggested its airstrikes and interceptions of Houthi fire have disrupted their assaults and chewed into their weapon stockpiles."  Seems plausible. 

Edited by Hawaiian
Correction
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hawaiian said:

From my previous post: "The U.S. military has suggested its airstrikes and interceptions of Houthi fire have disrupted their assaults and chewed into their weapon stockpiles."  Seems plausible. 

"Once they run out of drones and missiles the huffing and puffing will be just that."

As my recent post noted:

The shipping company said the militia had recently tried to attack ships farther from the shore of Yemen, putting more strain on logistics.

Maybe those Houthis have really powerful lungs.

Edited by placeholder
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, placeholder said:

"Once they run out of drones and missiles the huffing and puffing will be just that."

As my recent post noted:

Maybe those Houthis have really powerful lungs.

Another link with a paywall.  Plus more of your sarcasm which, evidently, is free.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 9:13 PM, placeholder said:

I did subsequently post a bypass for the paywall. Here it is again:

https://archive.ph/pm1AN

I was hoping for the U.S. to step up its interdiction of drone and missile components from Iran and also continue to hit launching sites.

Unfortunately, this will not happen overnight.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

I was hoping for the U.S. to step up its interdiction of drone and missile components from Iran and also continue to hit launching sites.

Unfortunately, this will not happen overnight.

It hasn't happened for more than 3 months since this topic was posted. Which is a bit longer than "overnight".  Apparently, you are operating under the assumption that it will occur. 

Edited by placeholder
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

It hasn't happened for more than 3 months since this topic was posted. Which is a bit longer than "overnight".  Apparently, you are operating under the assumption that it will occur. 

Houthi attacks have dropped in recent weeks due to U.S. airstrikes.  Because the attacks are not as frequent as three months ago I am assuming that that it will happen, albeit not as quickly as we would like.  

The U.S. has to be careful to avoid civilian deaths, aka collateral damage, otherwise they will be accused of committing some type of "atrocity," similar to what Israel is facing. The Saudis had that problem.  What a screwed up world we live in.  I say if you are going to fight a war, fight to win.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Houthi attacks have dropped in recent weeks due to U.S. airstrikes.  Because the attacks are not as frequent as three months ago I am assuming that that it will happen, albeit not as quickly as we would like.  

The U.S. has to be careful to avoid civilian deaths, aka collateral damage, otherwise they will be accused of committing some type of "atrocity," similar to what Israel is facing. The Saudis had that problem.  What a screwed up world we live in.  I say if you are going to fight a war, fight to win.

Whether or not Houthi attacks have dropped in recent weeks doesn't seem to matter to Maersk, the first or second biggest oceanic shipping company in the world. It's the effect their attacks have on shipping that counts.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2024 at 4:26 PM, placeholder said:

Whether or not Houthi attacks have dropped in recent weeks doesn't seem to matter to Maersk, the first or second biggest oceanic shipping company in the world. It's the effect their attacks have on shipping that counts.

How an Iranian-Backed Militia Ties Down U.S. Naval Forces in the Red Sea

Though largely ineffective, the Houthi attacks have been able to disrupt shipping and keep the U.S. and its allies tied down, frustrating the Navy’s decades-old mission of keeping open the region’s critical sea lanes...

U.S. officials worry that the conflict is simply not sustainable for the U.S. defense industrial base, already strained by the demands for weaponry from Ukraine and Israel. 
“Their supply of weapons from Iran is cheap and highly sustainable, but ours is expensive, our supply chains are crunched, and our logistics tails are long,” said Emily Harding of the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. “

https://archive.ph/MTVEc#selection-2571.0-2575.309

• Love It 1