US and UK hint at military action after largest Houthi attack in Red Sea

CharlieH

26 minutes ago, retarius said:

How about Russia donating some S400s and S500s when they've shots all the US's F16s down?

Sorry comrade, needed for the war effort in Ukraine.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, retarius said:

Yes, the world should not turn a blind eye to the evil Israeli genocide, and shout turn a blind eye to the inconvenience and extra cost of travelling around the Cape. To be c lear I have no time for warmongers like yourself and others who revel in bloodshed and bask in imagined reflected glory. Such immoral and vile attitudes make me sick. 

Unhinged.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, retarius said:

Yes, the world should not turn a blind eye to the evil Israeli genocide, and shout turn a blind eye to the inconvenience and extra cost of travelling around the Cape. To be c lear I have no time for warmongers like yourself and others who revel in bloodshed and bask in imagined reflected glory. Such immoral and vile attitudes make me sick. 

I wouldn't have put it so bluntly or framed it in the way you do but your heart is in the right place. I have no time for Islamic terrorism but in the same breath no time for Israel's belligerent posturings in the Levant. If they want to fight and jews internationally want to support them financially and morally fair enough. But many of us in the west have had enough of open ended commitments that bring blow back to the home front.

I note that all the armchair generals in Thailand want us in their home countries to fund these endless wars when we have problems enough of our own.

Edited by stats
off-topic diversion comments removed
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

Given that the Houthis persisted in their civil war despite massive bombardments from the Saudis (and massive support for those bombardments from the USA), how can anyone seriously believe that these attacks will deter the Houthis? 

Seems like this argument came from an opinion piece written by Marc Champion on Bloomberg's Nightly Briefing.  You're not the only one that subscribes to this.

Edited by Hawaiian
clarification
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

I think you need reminding of what I wrote and your reply:

image.png.f31cf7ff52ce740f6b528b1fede46015.png

How does Israel pausing solve the Houthi problem?

By stopping all support to them (the Houthis)

Including yours!

Edited by scottiejohn

3 hours ago, Morch said:

No, you're intentionally posting things in a misleading manner. This is nothing new.

Endangered how? Saudis care much about the Houthis now? MbS not being thrilled is not about his rule being 'endangered' - I guess that like everyone, he doesn't like the boat being rocked, but that holds for the Houthis' own actions. I don't see them not getting involved as implying what you push, no. Sitting on the sidelines whenever possible is quite normal.

And if the USA does nothing, what does it make it look like?

Again - you have no answers, at least not ones which you share - but somehow expect your own questions to be addressed and that others provide 'solutions'. Goes back to your questionable 'debate' style.

If the US does nothing? This is the kind of hysterical comment that always seems to be a consequence of war. I got news for you.  The US is already doing something in response to the Houthi attacks. In fact, it's doing a lot. Unless you think shooting down drones and intercepting missiles is nothing.  The question is  what will be an effective response. It seems dubious that these targeted missions will put an end to the Houthi attacks. Most likely, they will be seen as ineffective. So, unless the US plans a fullscale invasion of Yemen, better to continue as is. So far, the US and company have been very effective in thwarting Houthi attacks.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I have no idea who Marc Champion is. What I do know is that recent history teaches us that suppressing forces like the Houthis would take years and a huge commitment.

Yup remember the Taliban that the US was going to get rid of and usher in a new Afghanistan - that worked out well. The Houthis look like them crossed with North Korea.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, retarius said:

How about Russia donating some S400s and S500s when they've shots all the US's F16s down?

Russia is very careful who they give that class of missile to.

The long range of those missiles makes them ideal for shooting down commercial airliners.

2 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Where have you been?  Quite obvious no where close to the Red Sea, where some commercial vessels have suffered damage with one ship actually set afire before being extinguished.  You have not replied to my suggestion about reporting back with a first hand account.  That is, if you survive.

Exactly my point, some ships have been damaged....but I have only read of one dead. If there were many ship hands dead, you would have read about it as it would have been hyped up to the max by the US/UK war PR machine. This is a disproportionate response by the US/UK and is killing people. Look the US bombed Libya, hundreds dead and now it is a disaster, oil cut off just a few days back as a refinery was occupied. Iraq bombed to a cinder, and still a basket case. Afghanistan 20 years of killing to get the Taliban back? I wouldn't be so freaked out by this, but it doesn't work....the US haven't won a war since WW2 when they used nukes. All this is is bullying to protect evil Israel. End of story. If you warmongers get excited about all theses folk being killed, then there is something seriously wrong with your morals and decency. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I don't want to be picky but how to you draw a line between a ship being damaged and people killed or injured?

Damage to property is less serious in my opinion that damage to human life. I don;pt want to debate if you disagree, then let's agree to disagree. 

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If the US does nothing? This is the kind of hysterical comment that always seems to be a consequence of war. I got news for you.  The US is already doing something in response to the Houthi attacks. In fact, it's doing a lot. Unless you think shooting down drones and intercepting missiles is nothing.  The question is  what will be an effective response. It seems dubious that these targeted missions will put an end to the Houthi attacks. Most likely, they will be seen as ineffective. So, unless the US plans a fullscale invasion of Yemen, better to continue as is. So far, the US and company have been very effective in thwarting Houthi attacks.

There are steps that the US could take short of a land invasion.

Specifically, removal of all Houthi intelligence assets from the Red Sea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

Exactly my point, some ships have been damaged....but I have only read of one dead. If there were many ship hands dead, you would have read about it as it would have been hyped up to the max by the US/UK war PR machine. This is a disproportionate response by the US/UK and is killing people. Look the US bombed Libya, hundreds dead and now it is a disaster, oil cut off just a few days back as a refinery was occupied. Iraq bombed to a cinder, and still a basket case. Afghanistan 20 years of killing to get the Taliban back? I wouldn't be so freaked out by this, but it doesn't work....the US haven't won a war since WW2 when they used nukes. All this is is bullying to protect evil Israel. End of story. If you warmongers get excited about all theses folk being killed, then there is something seriously wrong with your morals and decency. 

The US has won some wars and lost some occupations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, retarius said:

Freedom of navigation is a long established international standard of conduct.

Do you disagree?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, retarius said:

Yes, the U.S. does not have an unblemished record.  I agree that Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya were disasters, mostly because the politicians did let the admirals and generals fight the wars. Getting into details would entail going off subject.  However, the Korean Conflict wasn't a complete loss.  Again, explaining why is for another forum.

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

I don't think that is the intent of the U.S. and the U.K.  I believe the goal is to degrade the Houthi's ability to continue their aerial barrage on commercial shipping.  How long it takes is anyone's guess.  However, the U.S. will not tolerate these constant attacks any longer and is determined to continue as necessary.  If I am not mistaken, the Saudis still have some intelligence operations going on there.  If they are sharing information, it surely will be done covertly.

The Saudis have been heavily invested in a rapprochement with Iran and with extricating itself from its disastrous military misadventure in Iran. There is an excellent article from Reuters which goes into this in some detail. However we can't link to reuters. Still if you look up the article looking for riyadh reluctant and the date of dec 21, 2023, you should have no trouble locating it.

Here's a link to an article in Foreign which explains  why the best of the bad options is not to bomb the Houthis.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/yemen/dont-bomb-houthis

Among other things the author points out how such bombing could reignite the civil war in Yemen. The last thing the Saudis want is a resumption of conflict in Yemen.

As for the those who decided to bomb Yemen, whatever their intent, and it looks to me more like a Hail Mary pass than anything else, it seems dubious that they're going to slow down the Houthis much.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Yes, the U.S. does not have an unblemished record.  I agree that Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya were disasters, mostly because the politicians did let the admirals and generals fight the wars. Getting into details would entail going off subject.  However, the Korean Conflict wasn't a complete loss.  Again, explaining why is for another forum.

On the other hand, the US backing of the Saudis in its war against the Houthis is quite relevant.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Great idea! Now all we need are the trivial details of how to accomplish that.

It would help if keyboard warrior apologist's like you stopped supporting them (Houthis) and spouting their propaganda!

I am waiting for your cast iron solution that does not involve the wipe out or total destruction of Israel!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

It would help if apologist's like you stopped supporting them (Houthis) and spouting their propaganda!

I am waiting for your cast iron solution that does not wipe out Israel!

Yours is the kind of emotionalism that got the US involved in far too many wars. Can you share with me what propaganda I am spouting? You're the one who proposed a solution of stopping all support for the Houthis. That's about as useful as claiming that the solution to curing cancer is to come up with a cure for it. 

Israel is in danger of being wiped out? You've got nothing.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Sure as hell wouldn't want YOU guarding my hen house.  The fox would have a holiday.

It's one thing if the fox lives on your property. Quite another if it's located far away and it's not just one fox but thousands.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's one thing if the fox lives on your property. Quite another if it's located far away and it's not just one fox but thousands.

And I should have added that your henhouse is located a lot closer to those foxes than it is to where you live.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

One after another screw up , never under estimate this piece of work and his DEI squad for a Administration to 

eff things up!The  Houthi and Iran are embarrassing Joey 2 scoops on another miscalculation! 

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/2/16/biden-admin-ends-trump-era-houthi-terrorist-designation&sa=U&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwi38da-nNqDAxU0V2wGHdbwD50QFnoECBsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1up7POx_1ugloOenhnP5d4

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 1