New Covid JN.1 Strain Sweeping Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, stoner said:

People who get infected by this new stain have mild symptoms with some only having a cold and sore throat like common respiratory infections.

Thank you Doctor , that's cleared that up then . 👍

16 minutes ago, peter48 said:

The thing is even if many people have mild or moderate  covid or flu for several days there will be some with more serious issues that when they get hit with heavy respiratory infection of the lungs will end up seriously ill and need to go to hospital. And that's still happening with now more serious admissions recently reported across Europe. Take care especially the older  old. 

i.e. a normal winter flu season.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Time to crank up the panic levels and keep the people afraid, keep them very afraid. Personally I'm more worried about catching a cold or a flu than the latest variant of an endemic virus. 

I'm just trying to get over a cold. Very difficult to shake. As for sweeping through Thailand this is just an alarmist headline. Officially according to worldometer Jan 8 recorded 668 cases and 4 deaths and of course we don't know if died with or from or any comorbidity details. Air pollution is far more dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"New COVID hospitalizations in Thailand rose to 664 for the week of Dec. 31 to Jan. 6, up 11.8% from 594 the prior week, and reaching the highest new COVID hospitalizations count in the past six months since early July. Last week also marked the first time the weekly new COVID hospitalizations tally had topped 600 since mid-July."

Yep. So absolutely no concern. Omicron will continue to mutate and circulate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

Considering pollution level has been up around 150 in many places, one would think just the natural reaction to that poisoning would sufficiently mask any covid infection, making accurate data very hard to come by

You might have noticed over the past four years that medical science has the ability to test for and confirm the presence (or lack thereof) of a COVID infection.

All the COVID hospitalizations reported by the Ministry of Public Health have confirming tests done to diagnose the infection as COVID... otherwise the cases wouldn't be reported as COVID.

When it comes to hospitalizations, at least, they're not confusing COVID with air pollution related illness.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You might have noticed over the past four years that medical science has the ability to test for and confirm the presence (or lack thereof) of a COVID infection.

All the COVID hospitalizations reported by the Ministry of Public Health have confirming tests done to diagnose the infection as COVID... otherwise the cases wouldn't be reported as COVID.

When it comes to hospitalizations, at least, they're not confusing COVID with air pollution related illness.

This is true but it doesn't mean that the person went to hospital because of covid now does it. 

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

except vastly more infectious.

This has been going around China for months. Respiratory problems in the young and old They were talking about it last October 23. Some places in China went back into a lock down.  Thailand reported an increase in respiratory and flu like symptom amongst the young and elderly in December. Plus, they are talking about record pollution levels in some large Thai cities, so maybe trying to deflect.

51 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Those are the typical, most common symptoms of the latest variant.

But as the last weekly COVID report from the Thai government clearly shows, the  current version of COVID still has the ability to put SOME people seriously ill in hospital and also kill a small number of those.

As does the flu and other common respiratory infections. So your point is what exactly?

Edited by roquefort
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, roquefort said:

As does the flu and other common respiratory infections. So your point is what exactly?

That COVID is continuing to sicken sizable numbers of people and kill a portion of those particularly among the elderly, in Thailand and around the world -- contrary to those who keep trying to deny those facts.

And, regarding your comment above, that even in its current form, COVID is putting far more people in hospitals and killing more people than the flu does.

Data reported by the U.S. CDC for the latter part of December:

"COVID was responsible for 3.3% of all deaths last week"

"Across all age-groups, flu made up 0.5% of all the nation's deaths last week"

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/influenza-general/us-covid-markers-rise-flu-activity-intensifies

AND

Screenshot_2.jpg.14ef031e4c68a2805a102a0fc60d8f23.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/data-research/dashboard/illness-severity.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

I will continue to wear my face mask when out in the street especially when the PM2.5.dust is getting worse here in Bangkok with no signs of improvement 😱

all those who opposed wearing the face mask might now  have a rethink .🤔

I still wear a mask when getting a taxi or going into Bangkok Bank and stores and small shops. It seems to help put the Thais at ease, and the bank requires it.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That COVID is continuing to sicken sizable numbers of people and kill a portion of those particularly among the elderly

deaths from those sizable numbers of infected........4 people in the previous week. 3 before that. as i said a little while ago a single bus crash in thailand this week surpasses that total. 

20 minutes ago, stoner said:

deaths from those sizable numbers of infected........4 people in the previous week. 3 before that. as i said a little while ago a single bus crash in thailand this week surpasses that total.

I believe, Thailand's reporting of COVID deaths is suspect as best. The health authorities here have previously publicly detailed a very narrow scope of what they'll consider a COVID death...basically focusing on respiratory problems, and excluding all the other various health problems that can be caused by COVID.

If you look at a country with better medical infrastructure like the U.S. -- though not necessarily healthier -- you can see COVID currently generating these kinds of death tallies -- about 1,600 confirmed COVID deaths per week, meaning COVID was judged either as a primary or contributing cause.

If you consider that Thailand has a population about one fourth the size of the U.S. and if the death rate was the same -- excluding variations in population age and other demographic characteristics -- that would yield about 300 - 400 COVID deaths per week here....

Screenshot_4.jpg.11f3512d6ec64bfc26dd8882783f5bf9.jpg

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_weeklydeaths_select_00

In the UK, with a population about equal to that of Thailand, official COVID deaths right now have been running 200 - 300 per week.

Screenshot_5.jpg.47c51700269f5f6f13ce473884e15f8d.jpg

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths?areaType=overview&areaName=United Kingdom

So yes, I believe Thailand's official single digit COVID death counts are suspect, especially considering the relatively lower levels of medical capability in the outlying, more rural areas where people may die at home and quickly be cremated, without any official judgment of cause ever being reached.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe, Thailand's reporting of COVID deaths is suspect as best

and i believe i can fly...i believe i can touch the sky...oh ok i get it. you believe government numbers and figures when you feel like it.

i could then go on with that same attitude and say that i believe a lot of what happened with covid is suspect at best. now you will go on and tell me i am a conspiracy this or that or whatever without realizing the irony in your comment. 

Edited by stoner
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

oh ok i get it. you believe government numbers and figures when you feel like it.

i could then go on with that same attitude and say that i believe a lot of what happened with covid is suspect at best. now you will go on and tell me i am a conspiracy this or that or whatever without realizing the irony in your comment. 

There are rational, fact-based reasons to suspect Thailand's COVID death counts are on the low side, as I explained above, including the comparisons with the U.S. and the U.K.....  But I have no basis to suggest how much of an undercount the official stats may be.

"So yes, I believe Thailand's official single digit COVID death counts are suspect, especially considering the relatively lower levels of medical capability in the outlying, more rural areas where people may die at home and quickly be cremated, without any official judgment of cause ever being reached."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There are rational, fact-based reasons to suspect Thailand's COVID death counts are on the low side, as I explained above....  I have no basis to suggest how much of an undercount the official stats may be.

"So yes, I believe Thailand's official single digit COVID death counts are suspect, especially considering the relatively lower levels of medical capability in the outlying, more rural areas where people may die at home and quickly be cremated, without any official judgment of cause ever being reached."

you are speculating and guessing. nothing more. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There are rational, fact-based reasons to suspect Thailand's COVID death counts are on the low side, as I explained above....  I have no basis to suggest how much of an undercount the official stats may be.

But of course you have absolute confidence in western countries' Covid death numbers, despite the fact that they all had different definitions of what constituted a Covid death (from Covid, with Covid, run over by a bus within 28 days of a Covid infection) and most of the death certificates showed multiple co-morbidities, any one of which could have caused the death.

I admire your faith in these governments' openness and transparency.

11 minutes ago, roquefort said:

But of course you have absolute confidence in western countries' Covid death numbers, despite the fact that they all had different definitions of what constituted a Covid death (from Covid, with Covid, run over by a bus within 28 days of a Covid infection) and most of the death certificates showed multiple co-morbidities, any one of which could have caused the death.

I admire your faith in these governments' openness and transparency.

The U.S. COVID death count numbers cited above all involve either COVID being listed on the death certificate as the primary cause of death, or as a contributing cause. Getting run over by a bus wouldn't count in the U.S.

Also, by the time people get to be older, almost everyone has some kind of comorbidity condition. But that doesn't change the facts when the attending doctor decides that COVID was the primary cause of death, or, a contributing cause among other factors.

Likewise, the UK COVID death stats I posted above, as detailed on the source website, also only involve cases where the person's death certificate mentioned COVID-19 as the cause, or one of the causes.

My symptoms started late at night on January 3rd, coughing with a runny nose.

This is something I definitely caught on New Years Eve, I hadn't left the house for at least a week prior to NYE nor after. The Mrs then proceeded to develop a 'cold' about 3 days after me which suggests I caught it on NYE and she didn't, she caught it around Jan 6 - we were not in the same places for the entire night, I met up with her a few hours after I went out for the evening.

So from observations I caught it on day 1, became symptomatic on day 4, the Mrs then became mildly symptomatic on day 6

Compared to when I was last infected in summer 2023 this one lacks any kind of fatigue, malaise / tiredness. In fact I feel normal apart from the runny nose and coughing which appears to be clearing the bronchial tubes of mucus so it has a productive cough and I'm taking an over the counter mucolytic (Ambroxol), the cough has now mostly gone but occasionally returns for a good 10 minutes at a time a few times a day but it's on its way out compared to last weeekend.

My father has the same thing in the UK right now - he's had it worse than me and he did a test which tested positive. Same symptoms but with tiredness.

I still believe this is on its journey to becoming classed as the 5th known cold caused by human coronaviruses but it's not quite there just yet.

To put things into perspective - I have had worse colds in the past, they were not flu (that's much worse).