Rejected at Nong Kai border for unknown reason

9 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Anyway I thought I was on “permanent ignore” I did not print out a boarding pass to purposely shame myself this month, just to prove that it can be thrown in the garbitch with no penalty and no question asked. 

Saving boarding pass bc why not? The boarding pass also is proof of when you entered should you need to prove that. IO on occasion forget to write flt# next to stamp. I save, staple into back of pp.

A country of bits of paper

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

My boarding pass is on my mobile. 

Any paper boarding pass goes into the onboard trash  where it belongs

No problems, ever. 

That works.  Until it doesn't.

I've been asked a couple of times for my paper boarding pass when I forgot, and I've also seen IO's chew people out for even pulling out their cell phone in the queue.  I've also had rare occasion where that little luggage tag stuck onto my paper boarding pass was required to exit the luggage carousel (I figured they must have had a rash of luggage thefts- it happens)

Why risk it?  Like the signs say, I present my boarding pass and I don't use my cell phone...  I don't want to end up like the OP, accidently giving them an excuse to make life hard on me.

Edited by impulse
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The op is struggling to enter Thailand and get back to his family. 

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Should be on a marriage visa then, is he?  

No-one knows what family OP has in Thailand. He keeps saying he does but when questioned in his last denial thread he posted this:

"Some of us are not eligible for retirement visas and family can mean a lot more than a wife or child. I don't appreciate the insinuation I'm making selfish decisions for my family. Family is different things to different people."

If he doesn't have a wife or child in Thailand then I don't see how he has family in Thailand that is relevent to an IO (he claimed IO declined him access to his family in last thread)

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sluglord said:

Saving boarding pass bc why not? The boarding pass also is proof of when you entered should you need to prove that. IO on occasion forget to write flt# next to stamp. I save, staple into back of pp.

A country of bits of paper

Recently I had to take Japan domestic flight regarding ridiculous bits of paper, they win. 4 bits by the time I boarded, all of it into the bin!

• Boarding pass
  • passage of security check point certificate
  • 2nd boarding pass auto prints at the gate reader
  •  baggage check sticker, not shown

*Yes I broke my own rule even though ground staff said my heavy crew bag was OK. The chance of ANA losing the bag or having drugs planted on a single leg domestic flight in 🇯🇵 is probably near zero.

IMG_3119.jpeg

4 bits of paper! I thought WE will save the climate by going paperless and green? Then they give disposable earphones to listen to distorted noise mostly in Japanese. Free wifi onboard why not install a bluetooth system maybe and let us use our own quality earphones most travellers already have? 

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

4 bits of paper! I thought WE are gpoing to save the climate by going paperless and green?

Perhaps that's in recognition that some enterprising soul will sell an app to fake all the "paperless documents" you'd need to enter at (choose your airport). 

With 1 or 2 grams of paper, they can change up the color, or the font, or some other identifier to show that it's for real, and current that day.  Doesn't seem like a significant carbon load after burning a hundred tons of fuel on the way.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

That works.  Until it doesn't.

Works until it doesnt. I can understand making things easy for the IO but What are they going to do deport you? I have flown to Thailand hundreds of times I know what the sign says. I throw it in the bin, ”purposely to shame” them. If a paper boarding pass is so required airlines should make an announcement onboard for the first time travelers to save their boarding passes. Thailand’s aviation authority should instruct Korean air and Scoot airlines and others to ban mobile boarding passes to Thailand.

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

Perhaps that's in recognition that some enterprising soul will sell an app to fake all the "paperless documents" you'd need to enter at (choose your airport). 

With 1 or 2 grams of paper, they can change up the color, or the font, or some other identifier to show that it's for real, and current that day.  Doesn't seem like a significant carbon load after burning a hundred tons of fuel on the way.

Fake apps should not be sold on Apple or Google play. Not likely they will be able to make QR codes that will get people thru airport checkpoints and gate readers anyway.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

A post with derogatory trolling comments contravening our Forum Rules and the replies have been removed.

14. You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, Thai people, Thai culture, Thai institutions such as the military, judicial or law enforcement system or specific locations within Thailand.

I think the BP requirement is a result of the TM6 being "retired". There may be a mandatory field for arriving flight information (carrier/flight no.), and IOs are instructed to verify this. I would think a mobile BP would be acceptable provided it showed your name and flight details.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes agree.

Went through BKK twice in December, sighs everywhere telling everyone to show boarding card to IO.

Both flights were with Thai and also told this information on the plane, when the crew welcomed everyone to Thailand and which baggage claim number to go to.

While waiting my turn, I saw plenty of people showing boarding card on phones, with no problems. Also saw 3 people taking away to an IO office, but not close enough to hear why.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I think the BP requirement is a result of the TM6 being "retired". There may be a mandatory field for arriving flight information (carrier/flight no.), and IOs are instructed to verify this. I would think a mobile BP would be acceptable provided it showed your name and flight details.

I dont know EXACTLY how far behind the times Thailand airport immigration management system  is  but from the crew arrival area in other country can see Immigration whiteboard with the passenger numbers and nationality breakdown of a list flights arriving.

Countires all have APIS systems the IO should be able to see what flight one arrived via when they scan passport, but..maybe Thailand will abolish the nineteenth century ink chops someday :thumbsup:

Edited by Captain Monday

2 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I dont know EXACTLY how far behind the times Thailand airport immigration managementsystem  is is but from the crew arrival area in other country could see whiteboard with the passenger numbers and nationality breakdown of flights arriving.

Caountires all have APIS systems the IO should be able to see what flight one arrived via when they scan passport, but..

Maybe they will get rid of the nineteenth century ink chops someday

Yes, nowerdays it is common that airlines submit Passenger Name Records (PNR) to the arrival country in advance. No need for paper bording passes or showing something on the phone.

5 hours ago, Taopoon said:

I read siwiek's latest posts and can explain what happened and how it all works. The real clue is what visa agent told... there is a note in the profile (immigration database). You've been refused entry in Phuket because you had too many tourist visa entries overall or in a short timespan. How many is too many... depends on the mood of IO. This is not related to boarding pass stuff in any way (maybe you misunderstood the situation).

Seems like you were not denied entry in Nong Khai, they just cancelled your exit stamp from Lao side, right? Every immigration checkpoint as every Thai embassy overseas is different in their policies so you might get lucky when you try another entry point, nothing stops you from that, you're not blacklisted. Get tourist visa in Vientiane, fly to Kuala Lumpur then fly local to Alor Setar, take Grab taxi to KTM station then it's 40 minutes to Padang Besar border checkpoint. They will take you to supervisor, tell them a better story about Phuket airport immigration asking to show 20,000 THB in cash and you didn't have that, also you didn't book return ticket at that time. Now you have all that and can show bank account statement, also they can ask where do you work and why do you visit Thailand so often. Prepare your answers beforehand. If they send you back, go try Sadao border nearby. In general, it's better to switch to long-term visa ASAP.

Exactly... why is it that it is always IO's problem when someone gets called out for abusing the system... stupidity by the OP isn't their problem it's his.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Taopoon said:

I read siwiek's latest posts and can explain what happened and how it all works. The real clue is what visa agent told... there is a note in the profile (immigration database). You've been refused entry in Phuket because you had too many tourist visa entries overall or in a short timespan. How many is too many... depends on the mood of IO. This is not related to boarding pass stuff in any way (maybe you misunderstood the situation).

Seems like you were not denied entry in Nong Khai, they just cancelled your exit stamp from Lao side, right? Every immigration checkpoint as every Thai embassy overseas is different in their policies so you might get lucky when you try another entry point, nothing stops you from that, you're not blacklisted. Get tourist visa in Vientiane, fly to Kuala Lumpur then fly local to Alor Setar, take Grab taxi to KTM station then it's 40 minutes to Padang Besar border checkpoint. They will take you to supervisor, tell them a better story about Phuket airport immigration asking to show 20,000 THB in cash and you didn't have that, also you didn't book return ticket at that time. Now you have all that and can show bank account statement, also they can ask where do you work and why do you visit Thailand so often. Prepare your answers beforehand. If they send you back, go try Sadao border nearby. In general, it's better to switch to long-term visa ASAP.

Thanks very much I think you're right. Phuket singled me out for potential fake boarding passes, seems like they do this often from how aggressive they were about these accusations. But in the end, I think they just spited me from losing face. Maybe having a few too many stamp-only entries didn't help my case, but certainly non of their accusations were true (fake boarding passes or not enough money).

Both the visa agency who looked at my profile in the database and Nong Kai immigration couldn't tell me what the note on my profile said exactly. Nong Kai only told me they were confused by it and didn't know what to do. They asked for the entire story and I told them, which I think put this stupid story in their mind that it was an airport problem and I must fly back in, which is not any sort of official immigration policy in Thailand. They had actually already stamped me into Thailand but then panicked after seeing this note on my profile and later decided to cancel my entry stamp and send me back on the bus to Laos, I didn't have to pay again. Laos simply cancelled my exit stamp like you said and I'm now in Laos using my previous 30 day VOA as before.

Can I ask why you suggest Malaysia border? Do you think Savanaket border in Laos might be also possible? Thank you.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You should be asked every time.

The immigration officers accept folk not presenting it as the requirement is so naively not known and MANY do not present it at passport control. 

Never been asked once upon entry, not once. 

11 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

It is a ridiculous assertion that boarding passes can be faked. Maybe the one you print at home on A4 or letter size.

Normal one on thermal paper or on that airline card stock? Then how do the fakirs get on the plane when the barcode does not match an open seat

Tell that to the Airport Authority of Thailand for domestic flight who wouldn't accept boarding pass 'captured' as a picture on screen in phones less it could be faked but prefer printed passes

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have only ever been asked for a boarding pass upon arrival once...  (out of every country I travel to for over two decades of frequent travel)...  

Since that time, I always ensure I keep my boarding pass just in case.

So,.. I should know better, for what exactly ???

Besides immigration, there are other reasons for keeping boarding passes. 

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

Tell that to the Airport Authority of Thailand for domestic flight who wouldn't accept boarding pass 'captured' as a picture on screen in phones less it could be faked but prefer printed passes

Screenshots of QR codes are frequently not accepted.  For security reasons. Same other countries.

I find the mobile life to be convenient,  It does take planning downloading, registering and battery life but I have all the airline apps I frequent nice to get on a plane without bits of paper

Dont think for a minute however airline CEOs give a fig about the environment, it is all for their management purposes and cost saving. Fewer printers to maintain. Less staff when you tag your own bag and check in at a machine. Their are airports already where facial recognition gets you thru. Forget your so called privacy. Eventually paper boarding passes will be abolished. Meanwhile some LCCc charge a heavy fee if you dont bring print, or go mobile.

Buying a new printer would be cheaper

https://tickernews.co/ryanair-charges-140-to-print-boarding-pass/

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, siwiek said:

They had actually already stamped me into Thailand but then panicked after seeing this note on my profile and later decided to cancel my entry stamp

46 minutes ago, siwiek said:

I must fly back in,

Obtain a visa in Vientiane or fly into cm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this whole situation is a little strange. i would need to sit down and fully interview the passenger to be able to make a proper conclusion. always 2 sides to the story and always information left out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, siwiek said:

They had actually already stamped me into Thailand but then panicked after seeing this note on my profile and later decided to cancel my entry stamp and send me back on the bus to Laos, I didn't have to pay again. Laos simply cancelled my exit stamp like you said and I'm now in Laos using my previous 30 day VOA as before.

Why would Laos cancel your exit stamp after you already exited Laos and were stamped entry into Thailand? Why wasn't Laos super concerned you just got refused entry to Thailand for what you say was an unknown reason?

Why don't you just put all the speculation to bed by posting a pic of your cancelled Thai Entry stamp and subsequent cancelled Laos exit stamp?

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Why don't you just put all the speculation to bed by posting a pic of your cancelled Thai Entry stamp and subsequent cancelled Laos exit stamp?

Why would Laos cancel your exit stamp after you already exited Laos and were stamped entry into Thailand?

End speculation on a board full of trolls? That seems unlikely and a pointless reason to expose my identity.

This is how if works see @Taopoon answer. Nong Kai scratched blue lines through my entry stamp and then walked me over to the Friendship bridge bus, told me don't pay for anything just go back to Laos Immigration and the manager is waiting for you because they called them already on the phone.

After arriving back to Laos the police manager stamped CANCELLED on my exit stamp and that's all. Initially I thought I was going to get a special 24 hours stamp or something to Laos to go back to the airport but nothing like that, just a cancellation of exit so I assume my 30 day VOA is still active now. I don't think Laos Immigration is fully digital yet, at least this experience seems to prove so because the manager didn't even look at a computer.

• Sad 1

The Phuket IO thought there was a fake boarding pass? I understand that the OP did not have a fake boarding pass but am curious: why would someone fake a boarding pass. Is this a thing?

1 hour ago, Misty said:

The Phuket IO thought there was a fake boarding pass? I understand that the OP did not have a fake boarding pass but am curious: why would someone fake a boarding pass. Is this a thing?

Got op into vip.lounge despite his scunge attire! 

• Haha 1

OP - it sounds like you need an Agent based in Phuket to arrange a 'payment' to immigration in order to get this 'item' removed from your history.  if not, each time you arrive in Thailand (via land or air) will be somewhat risky.  it sounds like you've got 'family' here, could it be a problem even if you come in with a 'proper' long term visa ? (say, non o based on marriage).

i moved to thailand in 2006 at age 40 and had to do the visa exempt/tourist visa thing for 11 years (i couldn't get the non O retirement at age 50 due to some complications so had to wait until 51).  it was easy at first but got harder around 2012.  i got interviewed at survarnabhumi twice.  both were when i tried to enter visa exempt.  first time i was told tourist visa only.  two years later i tried visa exempt again.  got the interview again.  but i was let in both times.  i flew to USA three times each year for tourist visas.  i mention this background to avoid any 'troll' labeling.  i've been through the 'stay in thailand on short term permit to stay' excitement.

another alternative.  i'm friends with an Agent in BKK and he does all kinds of 'work' with immigration.  mainly with Jomtien but also a land border (i won't mention which one here).  i could PM you the land border name and contact info for this Agent and maybe he can help 'guaranty' your entry at such land border.  i will send him a message now to see what he has to say about the matter.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1