Re inventing yourself again

36 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You are either a  monger or you aren't a monger .

You didn't become a monger , you just managed to quire enough money to get to the bottom of the barrel 

I wonder your psychological diagnosis would be?

Narcissistic? 

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I wonder your psychological diagnosis would be?

Narcissistic? 

Go on, explain how you can to that conclusion ?

My point was that you are either a person whom uses prostitutes or you aren't .

How on earth would that make me a narcissist ?

14 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Go on, explain how you can to that conclusion ?

My point was that you are either a person whom uses prostitutes or you aren't .

How on earth would that make me a narcissist ?

Don't shout at me , I havent started the Psychiatrist uni course yet !

Please say sorry to me ,I feel hurt 😭

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Don't shout at me , I have started the Psychiatrist uni course yet !

Please say sorry to me ,I feel hurt 😭

I wasn't shouting at you , I just asked you to explain why you thought that I was a narcissist .

I guess that there was no reason for that label and you just like the word because it makes you sound clever ?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I wasn't shouting at you , I just asked you to explain why you thought that I was a narcissist .

I guess that there was no reason for that label and you just like the word because it makes you sound clever ?

Yes I heard others use it on here so I started using it 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

That's what I feel I'm here for now  reinventing myself from hospital cleaner to a psychiatrist to help people!

I feel I have been called like a life changing experience 

You seem to be forgetting a tiny detail, qualifications, which unlikely you have, you should of thought of that back in school and worked harder, anyway ok to dream

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Lately I have been thinking of re,-inventing myself now that I'm older than 60

I was coming home from work one evening last week ,sitting at a bus stop to see a guy shouting to himself and punching the air 

The person sitting next to me at the bus stop I overheard saying he needs a psychiatrist! 

And that got me thinking , as soon as I got home I started researching on how to be a psychiatrist and I stayed up all night and the very next morning at 8am on the dot  called the University to try to find out how I can enrol

Apparently it's a 6 year uni course it I wouldn't mind be called Doctor !

Doctor George , Consultant Psychiatrist!

What about you ,did you "Re invent " yourself past 60 or when you retired?

Talk to many bar owners in Thailand or Philippines etc and many were not in the bar industry previously but reinventing their lives 

Divorced ,traumas ,job lay offs ,many left their old life BEHIND 

It's a bit unrealistic to think about med school at your age, though I suspect you know that. Two hours of sleep a night is the norm for several years. Better one is 22 years old and still full of piss and vinegar. The term 'pallor' was coined to describe the facial skin of med students and interns.

(Oh, and your "six years" may well be unrealistic, unless your math, organic and inorganic chem, physics, biochem, etc., is still fresh in your mind.)

Years ago I was on that path, saved only because someone offered me a paying job (and I was already up to my pallor in debt from undergrad).

I would also suggest that before even thinking about med school, go visit a med school dissection lab. It can be jolting, both because of what you see and that smell which will never leave your nostrils. Table after table replete with a donated body, opened up in all sorts of gory ways, and the stench of preservative chemicals filling the air, even getting into your white lab coat. Lots of gallows humor, too, as everyone tries to get accustomed to the sights and enure themselves to what will be their own future, both in work and 'after'.

Better you buy a bar than think about psychiatry.

Edited by Walker88
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, covid19 forced me to reinvent myself. I went from making many baht per month to making 0 (literally 0) per month. Living here for 8+ years, having wife, dog, house, car, nothing back in Europe... and no source of income to support myself here ... not knowing how to solve it ... it was very not funny situation to be in. So I was forced to reinvent myself. Luckily it worked. And it worked so well that I'm luckily in much better position than before covid19.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Thankyou Ezzra 

That's what I feel I'm here for now  reinventing myself from hospital cleaner to a psychiatrist to help people!

I feel I have been called like a life changing experience 

George...I think you definitely need to see a psychiatrist yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You seem to be forgetting a tiny detail, qualifications, which unlikely you have, you should of thought of that back in school and worked harder, anyway ok to dream

True that ^

Speaking from a US perspective, he'd better have a 4.0 GPA and Medcats in the top 1%.

Then there's all those prerequisites:

Biology

Human Biology

Organic Chemistry

Inorganic Chemistry

Biochemistry

Physics

Advanced Calculus

Of course I know he's not serious, but if he has a grandkid who is hellbent on med school.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, noobexpat said:

I planned to be an architect as i was good at physics, maths and tech drawing.

7 year university course in the UK!

Absolutely no way. 

I studied for 7 years to be a space scientist (4 years technician courses, 2 years degree, 1 year master's degree). I had a very enjoyable career designing bits for satellites but unfortunately when I moved to Thailand in 2002 there were no jobs for rocket scientists (at least not foreign ones...)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

I studied for 7 years to be a space scientist (4 years technician courses, 2 years degree, 1 year master's degree). I had a very enjoyable career designing bits for satellites but unfortunately when I moved to Thailand in 2002 there were no jobs for rocket scientists (at least not foreign ones...)

If you are that intelligent , I would have thought that you would had checked the local job situation first  before you decided to emigrate, like, its not rocket science is it ?

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If you are that intelligent , I would have thought that you would had checked the local job situation first  before you decided to emigrate, like, its not rocket science is it ?

Ah, I had no choice.  I got aspergillosis lung disease which was exacerbated in the UK climate.  It improved dramatically in the Thai climate.  So I placed my health over my job and left the UK.  I worked for about 12 years building small hotels in sunny Phuket.  Then I did a final career flip and taught science at schools mostly in Myanmar. I have taught science online for the past 4 years or so and am just 18 months away from my pension :)

As for the satellite work, I still do this as my hobby as a radio amateur, building equipment to receive weather satellite images etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Thats cool!

I ended up doing 3 years maths at university, but the real exams started when i left!

Was chatting to a thai chap in terminal 21 foodcourt - he was an architect in london. What are the odds! He said its a terrible industry to be in and everyone wants out. 

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Ah, I had no choice.  I got aspergillosis lung disease which was exacerbated in the UK climate.  It improved dramatically in the Thai climate.  So I placed my health over my job and left the UK.  I worked for about 12 years building small hotels in sunny Phuket.  Then I did a final career flip and taught science at schools mostly in Myanmar. I have taught science online for the past 4 years or so and am just 18 months away from my pension :)

As for the satellite work, I still do this as my hobby as a radio amateur, building equipment to receive weather satellite images etc.

Fantastic! (I love science)

Hope your health stays under control.

14 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Fantastic! (I love science)

Hope your health stays under control.

Warm/hot and humid climate, healthy food, daily exercise, lungs are happy :)

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was coming home from work one evening last week ,sitting at a bus stop to see a guy shouting to himself and punching the air 

The person sitting next to me at the bus stop I overheard saying he needs a psychiatrist! 

And that got me thinking , as soon as I got home I started researching on how to be a psychiatrist and I stayed up all night and the very next morning at 8am on the dot  called the University to try to find out how I can enrol

Apparently it's a 6 year uni course it I wouldn't mind be called Doctor !

Doctor George , Consultant Psychiatrist!

What about you ,did you "Re invent " yourself past 60 or when you retired?

Talk to many bar owners in Thailand or Philippines etc and many were not in the bar industry previously but reinventing their lives 

Divorced ,traumas ,job lay offs ,many left their old life BEHIND 

I suspect invention, re-invention, fantasy is the world you inhabit on here, I doubt it's anything based on reality. On the off chance you were actually in a bus stop in Australia it's interesting to know they have mirrors, I wasn't aware of that.

Is that your never-ending unspecified imminent retirement plans now on ice, I don't think I'll be able to cope with life if you don't continue to post a new " when I get to Pattaya "  thread every 3 days.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Walker88 said:

True that ^

Speaking from a US perspective, he'd better have a 4.0 GPA and Medcats in the top 1%.

Then there's all those prerequisites:

Biology

Human Biology

Organic Chemistry

Inorganic Chemistry

Biochemistry

Physics

Advanced Calculus

Of course I know he's not serious, but if he has a grandkid who is hellbent on med school.......

George's dream is totally unrealistic, to be a qualified psychiatrist in Australia minimum study between 11-13 years is required, and the entry requirements are very high.

Dreaming about getting rich is much more doable. Or reinventing himself as a bar owner...plenty of others reinvented themselves that way.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:08 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Yah, you're always reinventing yourself. Little fantasies. You're giving out all the psychiatric therapy anyone needs by telling people they're going to die. How'd that work for them? Dead yet?

I'd suggest improving the old invention first. Seems no forward progress there so far. Retrograde, in fact.

Anyway, go big or go home. Forget psychiatry. Psychiatrists are all fat and out of shape. Here's the goal:

image.png.d6ffffe521b8cbf1926bfcf1bb3c294b.png

• Haha 1

My best re-invention is "I'm not working any more"

Over Xmas-NY received many messages from former colleagues and work contacts in New Zealand & Australia, several suggested along the lines of "you must be missing work", two from recruitment agencies offering me short-term contracts as I'd worked for them in the past, one offer to work remotely here.

A "thanks but no thanks, no longer available". Decided a long time ago I wouldn't be working full-time beyond middle-age, can't understand the people I know / have worked with still employed while receiving superannuation. And then they die.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Love It 1