We screwed up - leaving Thailand on the 18th for the US but forgot to make a Thai passport for our 2 year old

We're in Thailand and traveling to the USA for 1 month. Our 5 year old and 2 year old both have US passports. The 5 year old has a Thai passport, but somehow we completely forgot that we didn't make a Thai passport for our 2 year old and just realized this today. (I know, really dumb.) How big of a problem is this? Our flight is on the 18th in the morning. My wife said we can get an emergency passport for him tomorrow. Is that true, and is it necessary? Thank you for any advice! Can't believe we did this...

Edited by jakow
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, norbra said:

If all else fails, Your 2 yo can leave and return on US passport.

On your return sort a new passport.

Do a border hop leave on US passport return on Thai Passport

Thanks, yeah that's what we were thinking we'd have to do if we can't get the emergency passport sorted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LS24 said:

Thailand authorities have the option to create passports very quickly. You might get lucky if you have all the information first time.

Ok that's good to hear, thanks. We're far from Bangkok but changing our plans and driving tonight so we can have 2 full days to sort this out.

1 hour ago, jakow said:

Ok that's good to hear, thanks. We're far from Bangkok but changing our plans and driving tonight so we can have 2 full days to sort this out.

That should give you plenty of time....   As others have written, Thai passports can be issues very quickly (on the same day). 

There is an online booking system that will get you ahead of the physical queues, but I'm not sure if that will give you the dates / times you need - you can turn up at any of the Passport Offices (i.e. Khlong Toey BTS probably the most convenient if visiting central BKK)

They also have passport offices in various provinces around Thailand - so check the below link, there may be one near you.

The link also has numbers, so it may be possible for your Wife to call up, book an appointment etc and confirm that said office can do what you need in the time frame you need it. 

https://miceoss.tceb.or.th/en/e-passport-application-where-in-thailand/

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, jakow said:

We're in Thailand and traveling to the USA for 1 month. Our 5 year old and 2 year old both have US passports. The 5 year old has a Thai passport, but somehow we completely forgot that we didn't make a Thai passport for our 2 year old and just realized this today. (I know, really dumb.) How big of a problem is this? Our flight is on the 18th in the morning. My wife said we can get an emergency passport for him tomorrow. Is that true, and is it necessary? Thank you for any advice! Can't believe we did this...

My question to you is how long and how difficult was it for you to get a visa for your wife and also what kind did you get? Thanks

8 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Just curious.. but did you get letter from ampur also stating you can take the child out? From what I recall that is also required. 

I think that’s only if the wife is not travelling with them 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:36 AM, jakow said:

No big problem. You can have same day passport issued for an official surcharge around 1,000 baht (it was 1,000 last I visited a Thai passport office a few years ago). Both mom and dad needs to be present when applying for passport for a Thai minor.

Edited by khunPer
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

You need an emergency travel document, easier than passport, try embassy. 

What emergency document ? and from where ?

Is there such a thing ? an emergency travel document for Thai's to allow them to depart the country without a passort ?

Thailand also doesn't contain a Thai Embassy.

@Colabamumbai - you've fallen foul of failing to comprehend the Op yet offered irrelevant advice anyway. 

A Thai Passport can be obtained in one day...  from a Passport Office. 

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

Just curious.. but did you get letter from ampur also stating you can take the child out? From what I recall that is also required. 

Not relevant if a both parents are travelling - Op has not mentioned anything about travelling alone so I'm not sure why you went down this path of advice. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, khunPer said:

No big problem. You can have same day passport issued for an official surcharge around 1,000 baht (it was 1,000 last I visited a Thai passport office a few years ago). Both mom and dad needs to be present when applying for passport for a Thai minor.

Both guardians listed in the Birth Certificate need to be present when applying for the First passport for a Thai minor.

In the Ops case its safe to assume both 'parents' are.

[so you are correct - however, both parents are not required to be present for subsequent Thai Passports - just wanted to add clarification for others who may have a related question].

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

Perhaps I am not understanding the issue correctly, but why can't the boy simply travel to the US on his US passport? 

When mu wife who holds both US and Thai passports travels to the US she always usses her US passport., and returns on her Thai

Once when my wife's Thai passport was expired and we needed to come to Thailand ASAP and did not have time to renew it, she got an emergency travel document from the Thai embay in the US, it was essay. 

so If when returning to Thailand your son would need to return with his Thai passport  as he should to eliminate overstay and visa issues, and since he does not have one, just get an emergency travel document. 

Apologies if I misunderstood the issue. 

40 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Perhaps I am not understanding the issue correctly, but why can't the boy simply travel to the US on his US passport? 

When mu wife who holds both US and Thai passports travels to the US she always usses her US passport., and returns on her Thai

Once when my wife's Thai passport was expired and we needed to come to Thailand ASAP and did not have time to renew it, she got an emergency travel document from the Thai embay in the US, it was essay. 

so If when returning to Thailand your son would need to return with his Thai passport  as he should to eliminate overstay and visa issues, and since he does not have one, just get an emergency travel document. 

If the child was born in Thailand and was never outside of Thailand then he can not leave using his US passport because it does not have a Thai entry stamp.  A friend of mine went through this in October.  He is a US citizen and his wife is Thai.  His son was born in Thailand.  They have a US passport for him but needed a Thai passport to exit Thailand.  A little over a year ago there was a thread discussing this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, statman78 said:

If the child was born in Thailand and was never outside of Thailand then he can not leave using his US passport because it does not have a Thai entry stamp.  A friend of mine went through this in October.  He is a US citizen and his wife is Thai.  His son was born in Thailand.  They have a US passport for him but needed a Thai passport to exit Thailand.  A little over a year ago there was a thread discussing this.

Thank you for that info.

Then the best option is an emergency travel document, My wife's was issued in two days on line. But that was during covid, now days you might have to do it in person .

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

how would that work for a child born in Thailand to a non Thai mom and dad, the child would only have a non Thai passport.

The parents would need to show that both mom and dad are non Thai.  I believe that they would need to show a certificate of birth showing that neither parent is Thai, but I’m not sure.

Edited by statman78

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

It seems the Ops Wife is Thai, ergo the Child is also Thai and born in Thailand which means there is no 'entry stamp' on their US Passport. 

They'd need a Thai Passport to exit Thailand.

I get your point about returning with an 'emergency travel document' to avoid the theoretical overstay when re-entering Thailand on a US Passport (even though children cannot be charged for overstay)...  But, thats more of a faff than just getting a Thai Passport (in one day).

Edited by richard_smith237

20 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

You need an emergency travel document, easier than passport, try embassy. 

There are no Thai embassy in Thailand that can issue emergency travel document 

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

Imagine a child-smuggling operation, they could obtain foreign passport for a child and take any child out of Thailand if the authorities don't check for entry stamp on the foreign passport. 

Obtaining  a Thai passport for a child require consent or presence of both parent at least

Any foreign national exiting Thailand without a corresponding entry stamp on their passport would be very suspicious indeed, how did they enter? if they had other passport they used why did they switch? 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, NicoBKK said:

Just considering, once you get Thai passport, doesn't your child also need US Visa on that passport to travel? 

if the child has US passport, show both at the airline check in and there's no trouble