Details on Marriage Visa for permanent stay in Thailand

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

my wife and me will move to Thailand this year. Therefore i need an allowance for permanent stay.

As far as I understood, there is no way to get a Non O-A based on marriage outside Thailand - we are in Munich,Germany.

I need to get a Non-O for 90 days, which i can/should extend in Thailand.

Is this right so far?

The Questions:

1. An extension will be for one whole year? with multiple entries? (We are not planning to return to germany, but maybe visit a neighbouring country.)

2. Are there any requirements for the extension besides the usual money in the bank, the proof of marriage, proof of adress.

Like a medical certificate, a health insurance (we will get one anyway), a criminal record clearance (no worries, but would have to bring it) or other?

3. Do different IO will ask for different things for the extension? We will be in Buriram.

This maybe be discussed and cleared in another topic already, yet i could not find it. Please accept my apology to not actually get along well with the search.

kind regards

10 minutes ago, Sparkling said:

Is this right so far?

You can obtain a non O based on marriage to Thai national outside of Thailand.

You can also also obtain a non O inside Thailand from visa exempt or tourist visa entry. 

You obtain a 12 month extension to the 90 day stamp from the non O.

No police check or health, insurance etc. Those requirements are for non O-A (you don't want that visa. 

The non O is not multiple entry visa.

After obtaining 12 month extension you buy a reentry permit. 

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name only. 

Thanks Dr.Jack,

i do have a Thai Bank account in my name only.

I would have got the Non-O. But of course getting in visa exempt or tourist visa would be easier.

Does it make a difference to the entry with Non O?

Reentry permit is Ok. We do not plan to leave Thailand a lot. Happy to get there.

13 minutes ago, Sparkling said:

I would have got the Non-O. But of course getting in visa exempt or tourist visa would be easier.

Does it make a difference to the entry with Non O?

Reentry permit is Ok. We do not plan to leave Thailand a lot. Happy to get there.

There are MANY threads re enter visa exempt and apply for the non O in Thailand from visa exempt entry.

Some folk opt to enter with tourist visa especially when need to open bank account.

You have that so great start.

You require 400k in Thai bank on the day you apply for the non O.

Rather than more detail I will add some threads that outline the process.

Some small things to tick off such as married in Thailand or Germany etc. 

Regards the reentry permit it's 1000b for single. 

3800b for multiple (no limit) 

Here is a thread and I added various links to other threads.

It's not a difficult process.

One caveat is Jomtien immigration. 

1 hour ago, Sparkling said:

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

my wife and me will move to Thailand this year. Therefore i need an allowance for permanent stay.

The first question should be, and best not to make assumptions, but is your wife Thai or German?
If Thai, did you get married in Germany or Thailand?

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The first question should be, and best not to make assumptions, but is your wife Thai or German?
If Thai, did you get married in Germany or Thailand?

Good point.

I assumed Thai wife from snippet in the OP

"We will be in Buriram." 

Not many expats live there unless Thai wife but certainly a possibility otherwise. 

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Good point.

I assumed Thai wife from snippet in the OP

"We will be in Buriram." 

Not many expats live there unless Thai wife but certainly a possibility otherwise. 

Even if the wife is Thai, if they married overseas, then they'd need to follow the legal procedure to authenticate and legalise their foreign marriage certificate in order to register an overseas marriage in Thailand. Immigration as you know request either a KR2 or KR22. They don't accept foreign marriage certificates per se.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

They don't accept foreign marriage certificates per se.

That's why I posted earlier...

"Some small things to tick off such as married in Thailand or Germany etc. " 

Done

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You require 400k in Thai bank on the day you apply for the non O.

Assuming that the OP is a German national, he may instead be able to obtain a 40k monthly income guarantee letter from the German Embassy as per 7.1. of the Immigration Bureau's list of requirements for marriage non-o conversions:

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

@Sparkling - below is a link to details (in German) of the notarisations and certifications provided by the German Embassy in Bangkok, which hopefully includes pointers as to how you go about obtaining the necessary letter should you be interested in pursuing this particular option:

https://bangkok.diplo.de/blob/1394716/23a3dbb1493e7ef375d7ae931b627050/beurkundungen-und-beglaubigungen-data.pdf

Alternatively a link to the Embassy's home page (again in German) is as follows:

https://bangkok.diplo.de/th-de

Edited by OJAS

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Since he is a German national, he may instead be able to obtain a 40k monthly income guarantee letter from the German Embassy as per 7.1. of the Immigration Bureau's list of requirements for marriage non-o conversions:

Exactly...

To clarify...even with embassy income letter, is it correct that for the non O application in Thailand it's suggested that couple of months of transfers is also required? 

26 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Assuming that the OP is a German national, he may instead be able to obtain a 40k monthly income guarantee letter from the German Embassy as per 7.1. of the Immigration Bureau's list of requirements for marriage non-o conversions:

The OP hasn't given any details of whether he's retired and/or in receipt of any pension.

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

To clarify...even with embassy income letter, is it correct that for the non O application in Thailand it's suggested that couple of months of transfers is also required?

The letter only merely has to state his pension income.

Thanks Dr.Jack for the detailed answer and the links. Thanks also to OJAS.

Forgive me that i couldn't answer your questions earlier, was truely busy.

To answer your questions:

My wife is Thai, from Buriram. We married in Denmark. I got a yellow House Book and Pink ID. The marriage was also registered at the Aphmoe before and again verified for the YHB an PID. The foreign certificate was translated and legalized from Denmark, Thai Embassy Kopenhagen, Thai Embassy Berlin, etc and again in Munich, Bangkok. I did not mention because i felt save, it should be OK.

Actually i planned to put the 400k. I thought i need to have it in the Thai bank two months before application. Therefore need more than 60 days, not to get under pressure. Easy if it is enough to be there on the day of application.

I am not yet officially retired. Pension age at the moment (they threat to push it up more) in Germany is 67.

kind regards

5 hours ago, Sparkling said:

I am not yet officially retired. Pension age at the moment (they threat to push it up more) in Germany is 67.

You can use "money in bank" method without being retired.

Money in bank for marriage is 400k baht on day of application for non O and for subsequent extension 400k needs to have been in bank for 2 months.

After you receive final stamp you can use that money. 

For retirement 800k on day of application and for two months prior to extension. 

Maintained at 800k for three months after extension and then not below 400k and back up to 800k prior to next extension.

Some married guys opt for "based on retirement" due to more simple process, no home visit etc. 

6 hours ago, Sparkling said:

Actually i planned to put the 400k. I thought i need to have it in the Thai bank two months before application.

In practice this would only have been a requirement as far as a non-o visa conversion is concerned had you and your wife been planning to settle in Pattaya, rather than Buriram!

Strikes me that you are now well-set for your planned move to Thailand.

Edited by OJAS

6 hours ago, Sparkling said:

Thanks Dr.Jack for the detailed answer and the links. Thanks also to OJAS.

Forgive me that i couldn't answer your questions earlier, was truely busy.

To answer your questions:

My wife is Thai, from Buriram. We married in Denmark. I got a yellow House Book and Pink ID. The marriage was also registered at the Aphmoe before and again verified for the YHB an PID. The foreign certificate was translated and legalized from Denmark, Thai Embassy Kopenhagen, Thai Embassy Berlin, etc and again in Munich, Bangkok. I did not mention because i felt save, it should be OK.

Actually i planned to put the 400k. I thought i need to have it in the Thai bank two months before application. Therefore need more than 60 days, not to get under pressure. Easy if it is enough to be there on the day of application.

kind regards

Thanks for a much more detailed post of your situation.

You have two options;

1. Apply for a Non Imm O visa based on Thai spouse from a Thai Embassy/Consulate to enter Thailand.
On entry, you will be granted a permission of stay for 90 days.
Deposit 400K THB in a Thai bank a/c, your sole name.
Once the 400K has been in the a/c for 2 months, you can apply at the local Immigration office in Buriram to extend your permission of stay temporarily for a further 1 year.

2. Enter Thailand visa exempt.
On entry, you will be granted a permission of stay for 30 days.
You can then apply at Buriram Immigration for a change of status to Non Immigrant O, but must have at least 15 days permission of stay remaining.

400K in a Thai bank required on the day of applying.
(An extension of a further 60 days is possible if you require more time to deposit funds.)

Once the 400K has been in the a/c for 2 months, you may apply for the 1 year extension of stay.

7 hours ago, Sparkling said:

Anyone aged 50 or more is eligible for non-immigrant visas and subsequent annual extensions of stay for retirement, regardless of their official retirement status in their home countries.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Anyone aged 50 or more is eligible for non-immigrant visas and subsequent annual extensions of stay for retirement, regardless of their official retirement status in their home countries.

But they must meet financials (often for visa and always for extension) and suspect Germany may not issue letter of retirement income verification letter unless retired so would require 800k in bank rather than 400k.

10 minutes ago, dcalaska said:

What is the fee for a Non-O, 90 days, getting it inside Thailand? and then fee for 1 year extension ?

Thanks.

2,000 baht for conversion entry visa and normal 1,900 baht for any extension of stay.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Sparkling said:

The Questions:

1. An extension will be for one whole year? with multiple entries? (We are not planning to return to germany, but maybe visit a neighbouring country.)

2. Are there any requirements for the extension besides the usual money in the bank, the proof of marriage, proof of adress.

Like a medical certificate, a health insurance (we will get one anyway), a criminal record clearance (no worries, but would have to bring it) or other?

3. Do different IO will ask for different things for the extension? We will be in Buriram.

1..You can yet a multiple re-entry when you apply for the extension, I believe it is 3,600b.

Or a single re-entry is 1,000b.

2.. No med cert required or insurance, no crim record check.

You may need Photos of you and wife together in your home, usually both sitting on your bed,

one showing you both with the house number visible. living room, and kitchen. A hand drawn map to your home. And during the consideration period you may get a home visit.

3..Yes they all make up their own rules. Most IO have a list of what is required.

Sorry I do not know Buriram rules, best to make a visit and get a list if available.

Edited by brianthainess

19 hours ago, Sparkling said:

As far as I understood, there is no way to get a Non O-A based on marriage outside Thailand - we are in Munich,Germany.

Is this right so far?

No, you can apply in your home country; might be more difficult to get it somewhere else.

You can also apply for a non-immigrant O-type visa when you arrive in Thailand as visa exempt or on a tourist visa.

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

No, you can apply in your home country; might be more difficult to get it somewhere else.

The Non O-A is based purely on the reason of retirement, not Thai spouse.
That's why the OP stated he needed to get the Non O.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

1..You can yet a multiple re-entry when you apply for the extension, I believe it is 3,600b.

Or a single re-entry is 1,000b.

2.. No med cert required or insurance, no crim record check.

You may need Photos of you and wife together in your home, usually both sitting on your bed,

one showing you both with the house number visible. living room, and kitchen. A hand drawn map to your home. And during the consideration period you may get a home visit.

3..Yes they all make up their own rules. Most IO have a list of what is required.

Sorry I do not know Buriram rules, best to make a visit and get a list if available.

Multiple Re Entry is 3,800 Baht and is valid for the length of your extension. (12 Months)

It is highly unlikely that they will require  photo of you both sitting on the bed.

I have certainly never shown one in 20 years.

Edited by Lite Beer

1 hour ago, Lite Beer said:

Multiple Re Entry is 3,800 Baht and is valid for the length of your extension. (12 Months)

It is highly unlikely that they will require  photo of you both sitting on the bed.

I have certainly never shown one in 20 years.

As I said depends on your IMO, even on the house visit we and the witness are asked to sit on the bed & for Trat it is 6 photos.

Thanks to everybody.

I never grew much interest in Pattaya.

Of course the age for retirement in germany is irrelevant. Just an information that there is no regular state pension yet.

We would not mind the pictures taken. Before we have been young and pretty. Now we are only pretty. ;-)

Seems like we will be fine either way we do it.

kind regards