Is Melatonin Unavailable in Thailand Now?

racket

I've been relying on Melatonin for better sleep, but it seems to be unavailable in Thailand. I usually purchase it from Lazada or Shopee. Surprisingly, Shopee doesn't have any Melatonin supplements listed, and Lazada offers some unusual alternatives.

Is there a nationwide ban that I'm not aware of? It's a bit peculiar.

UPDATE: Melatonin is banned in Thailand and not available anymore. That's quite surprising.

Here's one Source. 

Highly recommend this article that explains Melatonin

Edited by racket
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, racket said:

I've been relying on Melatonin for better sleep, but it seems to be unavailable in Thailand. I usually purchase it from Lazada or Shopee. Surprisingly, Shopee doesn't have any Melatonin supplements listed, and Lazada offers some unusual alternatives.

Is there a nationwide ban that I'm not aware of? It's a bit peculiar.

UPDATE: Melatonin is banned in Thailand and not available anymore. That's quite surprising.

Here's one Source. 

Highly recommend this article that explains Melatonin

Found this on iHerb.com for the Shipping help:

image.thumb.png.68ade5119efe07a3c9112148ae752373.png

Seems couriers won't deliver it (see 5.) but local post can, though it would mean it's quite expensive as you'd be limited to... 90? 180? pills/gummies per shipment, which is basically one bottle.

https://th.iherb.com/shipping

14 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Seems couriers won't deliver it (see 5.) but local post can, though it would mean it's quite expensive as you'd be limited to... 90? 180? pills/gummies per shipment, which is basically one bottle.

Sad. I used to buy 3mg of Melatonin containing 180 tables from Puritans Pride for less than 250 baht, on Lazada.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 11:53 PM, tomazbodner said:

I get items from iHerb via local post all the time, works fine and prompt.

I would assume 90 day supply would mean 90 tablets.

Shipping costs for that option are low.

• Like 1

Yes there's been some sort of ban for lazada and shopee to sell actual melatonin.

I had to go out and buy some at a supplement store in Central

Got the Natrol 10mg Gummies, and it seems all legit from US etc but it's not having the same effect as my last stock (same brand) so not sure if they're fake or something.  

On 1/23/2024 at 4:32 PM, azt219 said:

Yes there's been some sort of ban for lazada and shopee to sell actual melatonin.

I had to go out and buy some at a supplement store in Central

Got the Natrol 10mg Gummies, and it seems all legit from US etc but it's not having the same effect as my last stock (same brand) so not sure if they're fake or something.  

No reason to think there is a ban

Shoppee  doesn't have any at the moment.

Lazada currently has some, but not the brand/type  OP was looking for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Last year I wanted to buy some melatonin and noticed it had all disappeared from Lazada and Shopee. None at local pharmacies either.  I went to the Boots pharmacy at Central Pattaya and was offered a pack of 10x 3mg at a very high price.  I asked the pharmacist what was going on and was told that melatonin is not an approved medication but had previously been sold as a food supplement. That has apparently been banned so there is only old stock.  Maybe this incorrect information - but it does seem to be in limited supply compared with a year ago.

• Like 2

I have been surprised by the claim of a ban. But I was prescribed Circadin which is sustained released melatonin from Bumrungrad. It was expensive, so after it finished I tried to buy an immediate release product in local pharmacies and on-line. No luck. I have to say it didn't work very well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Last year I wanted to buy some melatonin and noticed it had all disappeared from Lazada and Shopee. None at local pharmacies either.  I went to the Boots pharmacy at Central Pattaya and was offered a pack of 10x 3mg at a very high price.  I asked the pharmacist what was going on and was told that melatonin is not an approved medication but had previously been sold as a food supplement. That has apparently been banned so there is only old stock.  Maybe this incorrect information - but it does seem to be in limited supply compared with a year ago.

Melatonin is approved as a medication under brand nbame Circadin by Merck. (Overpriced and very low dose).  Foreign made melatonn considered as "nutritional supplements" in country of origin have been sold here on and off for years and still is, subject to availability.

Lazada currently lists Life Extension brand Liquid Melatonin

I find with all western "nutritional supplement" imports availability fluctuates greatly.

It is not in any way illegal. 

The rule on bringing in any medication with you is 30 day supply but the quantity restriction  is not strictly enforced as long as non-controlled substance and quantity looks consistent with personal use. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

It is not in any way illegal. 

The rule on bringing in any medication with you is 30 day supply but the quantity restriction  is not strictly enforced as long as non-controlled substance and quantity looks consistent with personal use. 

Thank you Sheryl... i will bring a few with me!

On 1/27/2024 at 12:24 PM, Sheryl said:

Shoppee  doesn't have any at the moment.

Lazada currently has some, but not the brand/type  OP was looking for.

I have been purchasing Melatonin from Lazada and Shopee for years, trying multiple brands. I heavily relied on Puritans. I created this thread for the simple reason that they're all gone, duh.

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2024 at 7:28 PM, Sheryl said:

P.S. LINE shopping has it. I just now purchased 120 tabs of 10mg Puritan's Pride which is my preferred brand. 500 baht.

@Sheryl
Hey Sheryl.  Do you have a web link to the seller who is sell Puritan's Pride 10mg 120 tabs for 500 THB.
I've looked and the best I can find is ฿850.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, connda said:

@Sheryl
Hey Sheryl.  Do you have a web link to the seller who is sell Puritan's Pride 10mg 120 tabs for 500 THB.
I've looked and the best I can find is ฿850.  Thanks!

Actually after I placed my order I got a message they no longer had it. Puritan Pride seems hard to source now, if you found it at all, I'd order it. (and if it comes, please post the link!)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just Googled 'which foods contain melatonin', and was surprised to see mango, rice, oily fish, nuts, mushrooms, bananas, and others. 

2 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

Bought Melatonin 10mg tablets at iHerb, 90 for 475Baht (delivery fee included).

Can only order 1 tub at the time.

Do you have a link? 

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Actually after I placed my order I got a message they no longer had it. Puritan Pride seems hard to source now, if you found it at all, I'd order it. (and if it comes, please post the link!)

All I'm finding is Natrol and that is priced into stratospheric silliness (in excess of 1000 to 2000+ per bottle). Melatonin was affordable if not downright inexpensive as a sleep-aide.  Not anymore unfortunately.  Oh, and get your shipments before May when the Thai government hits consumers of imported products, like iHerb, with a 7% VAT. 

5 minutes ago, connda said:

All I'm finding is Natrol and that is priced into stratospheric silliness (in excess of 1000 to 2000+ per bottle). Melatonin was affordable if not downright inexpensive as a sleep-aide.  Not anymore unfortunately.  Oh, and get your shipments before May when the Thai government hits consumers of imported products, like iHerb, with a 7% VAT. 

None of these any good ?

image.png.9ec6735eaa17f77c22c48411a1f61a55.png

9 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

None of these any good ?

image.png.9ec6735eaa17f77c22c48411a1f61a55.png

Those are great but availabiliry on Lazada is off and on. Right now I can locate 3mg but not 10 mg strength Puritan Pride on it. 

I spoke to a pharmacist and received some information regarding Melatonin, which explains why it's no longer available for online purchase. While it hasn't become illegal, its status has changed. In Thailand, Melatonin is no longer considered a supplement but rather a medicine, so it can only be bought from a pharmacy.

This change makes sense since medicines typically cannot be ordered online; they must be obtained from a pharmacist. This shift benefits pharmaceutical companies, allowing them to increase prices for Melatonin products that were once inexpensive. Therefore, if you want Melatonin, you'll need to purchase it from a pharmacy.

• Like 1