Controversial Bikini Sunbathing by Foreign Tourists Sparks Cultural Debate in Bangkok and Chiang Mai; Authorities Respond

webfact

13 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:
18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Particularly in a G-String...  But, I wonder if the treatment would have been the same if they were having a picnic in shorts and a tank top, or just sun bathing in shorts and a tank top as the girls were in Chiang Mai... 

I don't know about Chiang Mai but Sanam Luang isn't used for recreational activities, I believe.

You mean others than Thai's playing football, Sepak Takraw, casual badminton, and having picnics there ?

Years ago I played football there were a bunch of Thai lads myself - that said, its been a long time since I've been there and things may have changed...

..... if things have changed to such a degree that using the grassed area for recreational activities mentioned above is no longer culturally acceptable, its not a positive change.

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Those tessaban goons (park police) wearing masks outside look like complete idiots. 

It's amazing how petty and vindictive Thais can become when foreigners are involved.

I don't think its vindictiveness... but I agree that there is an element of pettiness involved.

... i.e. a manner of 'we have to teach these foreigners the Thai way'.... Which I kind of get, especially in situations such as this when there is behavior which may be considered inappropriate (sunbathing in a G-string in the city)...  I wonder if the same reaction would have been taking in Lumpini park ?

Controversial Bikini Sunbathing by Foreign Tourists Sparks Cultural Debate in Bangkok and Chiang Mai; Authorities Respond

Thailand wants to set itself up at the premier tourist destination in the world, but Western beachwear is forbidden and any woman daring to wear what they would normally wear while sunbathing at any other tourist destination becomes a target for Thai social harassment.

It's a two-way street.
Yes - tourists should be sensitive to the cultural norms of the societies of their Thai hosts.
But - Thais should be accepting of the cultural norms of the societies of the guests they invite into their country for tourism.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

two foreign tourists in a bikini sunbathing at Sanam Luang

Another fail for TAT's quality tourism programme, lol, they can't even afford a hotel with a swimming pool and sunbathing area. So instead they go and sun themselves at the site of the annual Ploughing Ceremony. I hope they cleaned up properly after the last one, or they may end up going home smelling a bit of kee kwai.

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Thailand wants to set itself up at the premier tourist destination in the world, but Western beachwear is forbidden and any woman daring to wear what they would normally wear while sunbathing at any other tourist destination becomes a target for Thai social harassment.

Wrong. On the beaches, women wear what they would at home and elsewhere, except for going topless, which isn't allowed everywhere, either. I see the skimpiest of thongs out on the beach in Pattaya.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The Phra Nakhon District Office publicly revealed that the case happened on December 29th, 2023, and Phra Nakhon municipal police were immediately dispatched to the scene after receiving a report. The two foreign tourists were warned and agreed to follow the instructions.

I can just imagine the viral response when these gals post their experiences on social media to their friends, families, and acquaintances. 

:smile: "Let's take a vacation in sunny Thailand during the winter girl-friends!"
:sad: "I read that Thai authorities don't allow gals to wear normal Western swimwear.  Let's go to Cancun instead!"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

I can just imagine the viral response when these gals post their experiences on social media to their friends, families, and acquaintances. 

:smile: "Let's take a vacation in sunny Thailand during the winter girl-friends!"
:sad: "I read that Thai authorities don't allow gals to wear normal Western swimwear.  Let's go to Cancun instead!"

A little fantasy based on a wrong premise.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Why are some Thai people upset seeing girls in a bikini. Pretty childish I think

Don't they forget that is was normal for Thai Women to go toples up to around. 1930? 

https://mythailand.blog/2017/02/24/thailand-topless-women/

I think its because Thailand is a very conformist society in which there is an 'expected standard of behavior'...  when they see a foreigner step outside of this 'expected standard of behavior' I'm guessing there is some form of need to bring them back 'into line'... 

This is not just a Thai trait... but a human trait... its just that 'expected standards of behavior' have become a lot more relaxed in the west (but we also have Karens !!)... 

This of course is juxtaposed with a lot of other things which occur in Thailand from endemic corruption, drink driving, prostitution etc which is an extreme contradiction to the image society wants to portray...  this contradiction is a complete enigma for many Westerners.

It seems madness that in Thailand the Police will deal with two girls sunbathing in the city, but ignore the open scams and prostitution that goes on a stones throw away.

Thailand is very odd in the manner in which it over reacts and picks off the low-hanging fruit while at the same time ignoring significant issues may of us consider should be taking the attention.

- it is of course the apparent hypocrisy that an insignificant issue such as this actually becomes news that draws many of us in.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

A recent , and as yet unreported on here, incident involving a pig in buriram, may also become  the subject of a cultural debate,   not to mention the six or so 14 year olds who recently murdered an old woman in Sa Kaeo   They really do have better things to concern themselves with

you know some times I wish foreign tourism in Thailand would just end, they have no concept of just how big an impact that would have on their lives, wake up tomorrow not one foreigner in the country.

these two girls are in the middle of a park far away from any temples or anything else - complaints debats ?.......................as usual their attention becomes focused on nothing

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

you know some times I wish foreign tourism in Thailand would just end, they have no concept of just how big an impact that would have on their lives, wake up tomorrow not one foreigner in the country.

these two girls are in the middle of a park far away from any temples or anything else - complaints debats ?.......................as usual their attention becomes focused on nothing

To be fair, while we are 'outraged' that this is in the news in the first place (for various reasons) and have entered a debate which may last a few days....  

.. The reality is that the very few Thai's who have observed this (in the news etc) either ignored, or have already moved on because it is such a non-event.

This idea portrayed by some that 'the whole of Thai society is offended' when such issues present themselves is flawed, they are not...  very few people even pay attention... 

That said, there are those who 'look for outrage' just because something foreign is involved...

... I recall an 'ex' getting offended because there were Buddha statues in a nightclub in the UK...  I had to remind her that I hadn't seen her in a temping or praying etc at all !!!...   

She was just offended because she wanted to be - thats the case here...  Sunbathing in the park (Sanam Luang) isn't really offensive... but its very noticeable and it is this behavior which draws attention so someone thinks they need to do something about it. 

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK.. this one is a bikini.. so I can see how it is considered insensitve... 

But dispatching three policemen to deal with it ???...     The over-reaction here to such issues is hilarious.

Just dispatch one officer and he can remind them...'sitting on the grass an picnicking is fine, but please be dressed properly'... 

I'm guessing there are no issues with a Tank-Top and Shorts if laying on the grass at Sanam Luang.

Not in temple grounds, its the large grassed area between Khoa Sarn Road and the Grand Palace and one of the women was in a G-String Bikini - ok for the beach or a poolside, but I can understand why it may be overstepping the mark of 'cultural sensitivity' in the city...

Meanwhile - guys play football and sepak-takraw on the same field, some of them shirtless.... (but they're male and not foreigners so its ok).

I'm sure any of us can find many images / photos of bare breasted women of all ages in "ANCIENT" Siam.

Some in Temples and palaces etc.

Nobody, it seems, was offended or outraged back then !

It's a hot. and often humid country....so they were just being practical back then.

These girls on the grass were just charging up on Vitamin D....something highly recommended and promoted during the "pandemic".

Religion gone over the top again.....nothing to do with "culture" ,

Check the cultural history.

Just now, orchidfan said:

I'm sure any of us can find many images / photos of bare breasted women of all ages in "ANCIENT" Siam.

Some in Temples and palaces etc.

I think you're missing the issue...  Its not 100 years ago and and society has evolved. 

Your argument suggest that because "Ancient" Siam it was not abnoraml for females to be bare chested it would be ok to walk around Siam Paragon in the same lack of attire...  while I get your point, the idea is still flawed. 

Just now, orchidfan said:

It's a hot. and often humid country....so they were just being practical back then.

These girls on the grass were just charging up on Vitamin D....something highly recommended and promoted during the "pandemic".

Religion gone over the top again.....nothing to do with "culture" ,

Check the cultural history.

Culture and religion go hand in hand...  I think this issue is related to both, although I also believe there is an element of 'foreigner' to it too... perhaps because of the sunbathing aspect which is also a very 'non-Thai' activity. 

If they were sat there eating Som-Tam... in shorts and a Tank-Top...   nothing would have been done.

3 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

We're just having SUCH a hard time understanding that dress customs have changed dramatically since "then." In Thailand, not in our own countries, of course.

Complain but look at bars or the area at night.No sun  but little clothing on show on many young ladies.Last night my friend works in a bar had a upstairs op .Left little to imagination of the customer if they talked to her, may as well be naked but no one complained

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's amazing how petty and vindictive Thais can become when foreigners are involved.

So true. These foreigners have been targeted for persecution out of pure racism. When Thai women are out sunbathing in bikinis on that field or on the grounds of a Wat, it's perfectly fine, nothing ever said or done.

Now please show us but one of the many photos to prove that very compelling, astute point. Our members are in strong need of the evidence behind their chants, though they don't realize it, of course, lest someone mistake them as mere bigots attempting to assert special privileges.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

Complain but look at bars or the area at night.No sun  but little clothing on show on many young ladies.Last night my friend works in a bar had a upstairs op .Left little to imagination of the customer if they talked to her, may as well be naked but no one complained

That field has a bar? Name? Wats have bars?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

They want foreign Tourists and their money but they are blind to what that actaully means because the 'money' blinds them to everything until something happens they don't like.   Tough luck Thai's; you can't have it both ways although you are dumb enough to think you can.   Where do you think these Women will tell thier friends and family to go on holiday when they go back home ?

7 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Where do you think these Women will tell thier friends and family to go on holiday when they go back home ?

Had a wonderful time in Thailand and hope to return next year. Highly recommended. We got caught sunbathing where we shouldn't have, hee hee!

• Confused 1

A bit off topic but I have remembered this. A few years ago, at the Chaeng Wattana Immigration, a guy was denied service because he was wearing short shorts. I think he was told to change into trousers or at least long shorts. He was visibly annoyed, but as we know, it is no use arguing there. So, he left the place. Luckily for him, that place has many shops selling clothes in the basement level so he probably got something there and went back up. So, I mean, in some places in Thailand, there is quite a bit of sensitivity about clothing. 

I am not sure how the situation at the Immigration is now. I always wear trousers when I go to an İmmigration place. Also, I am not sure if it is also a no-no for women wearing short shorts. 

3 minutes ago, JemJem said:

Also, I am not sure if it is also a no-no for women wearing short shorts. 

Saw a foreign woman, ~ 18 - 20 range in Daisy Dukes (15% reveal), last time at CW. A few stares but that's about it. 

• Thanks 1

Some folks have it backwards.

Thai women went bare chested more in olden days but pictures suggest it was partly about poor dress or poverty, though sometimes about ceremonies and dancers. 

But the elephant in the room, topless Siamese women in public didn’t become a social issue until Europeans started showing up at the Royal Court of Siam in the mid-19th Century. It's all about Western prudism!  You are self-shaming!.   ref 

From my experience, ordinary Thai women are still more comfortable topless in front of others in family or in all female company than most Westerners. 

Thai dancer of olden lore. 

traddress1903.jpg

If you are going to 'beg' tourists from many different cultures to come here, and you spend millions promoting the place, don't be upset if they don't all have your way of looking at life. 

• Like 1