Controversial Bikini Sunbathing by Foreign Tourists Sparks Cultural Debate in Bangkok and Chiang Mai; Authorities Respond

webfact

4 hours ago, JemJem said:

I am not sure how the situation at the Immigration is now. I always wear trousers when I go to an İmmigration place. Also, I am not sure if it is also a no-no for women wearing short shorts. 

Jomtien did have a sign describing the dress code. 'Course, this is Pattaya where farang might waddle in wearing a wet Speedo and clutching a Chang before they belly up to the IO desk. I haven't heard of anyone being expelled for not following the dress code, and it's obviously not always followed. Someone will be along shortly to sneer and confirm.

I haven't been to the remodeled Jomtien yet.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

If you are going to 'beg' tourists from many different cultures to come here, and you spend millions promoting the place, don't be upset if they don't all have your way of looking at life. 

Only posters here are upset, for bashing purposes. Tourists do need a bit of educating sometimes that Thailand has its own culture too.

• Haha 1

Perhaps apropos of nothing, but a few years ago I was visiting a temple near Bangkok. Like a good, culturally-sensitive---or is that "quality"---tourist, I had on long slacks and a sleeved and collared shirt. Inside the temple I saw a young Thai woman kneeling near an icon, apparently deep in prayer. She was quite well endowed, or should I say so obviously well endowed that despite my own appropriately pious manner, I could not help but notice. She had on a t-shirt with some sort of writing on it. When she stood up from her prayer and turned toward me, I could read the large letters:

"Stop Staring at My Tits"

I took that as a sign from gawd, like an 11th Commandment.

I began to wonder if, in his descent from the mountaintop, perhaps Moses had dropped a third stone tablet.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Are you German ?   That would explain the absence of a sense of humour, and your dislike of the British

No. I have a great and subtle sense of humor, so you may stop lying about that to comfort yourself. I liked British fine until I encountered those who've washed up in Thailand--and discovered immediately most of them dislike Americans. Now I did happen to meet an Oxford-educated Brit once, in Thailand of all places. Urbane, bright, witty (none of those low forum faves), no footy blather, knowledgeable on a wide variety of topics. Spoke English. We had a number of pleasant and memorable conversations, with some good laughs.

Edited by BigStar

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No. I have a great and subtle sense of humor, so you may stop lying about that to comfort yourself. I liked British fine until I encountered those who've washed up in Thailand--and discovered immediately most of them dislike Americans. Now I did happen to meet an Oxford-educated Brit once, in Thailand of all places. Urbane, bright, witty (none of those low forum faves), no footy blather, knowledgeable on a wide variety of topics. Spoke English. We had a number of pleasant and memorable conversations, with some good laughs.

The Oxford Don must have been riveted by your conversation.

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

No. I have a great and subtle sense of humor, so you may stop lying about that to comfort yourself. I liked British fine until I encountered those who've washed up in Thailand--and discovered immediately most of them dislike Americans. Now I did happen to meet an Oxford-educated Brit once, in Thailand of all places. Urbane, bright, witty (none of those low forum faves), no footy blather, knowledgeable on a wide variety of topics. Spoke English. We had some pleasant and memorable conversations.

You sound surprised that an oxford educated brit can speak English,  However I am not surprised about that,, several Americans,  who by the way few nationalities like, have actually asked me where I learnt to speak English   Telling everybody you have a great and subtle sense of humour just doesn't cut it , we need an example .  

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

The Oxford Don must have been riveted by your conversation.

Not sure where you learned that all Oxford grads are Dons. Must be one of those low myths. "Riveted" is the usual poor attempt to trivialize by exaggeration. Fail.

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Telling everybody you have a great and subtle sense of humour just doesn't cut it , we need an example .  

No example will suffice. Not falling for that bait. You know what's really funny.

I saw three people reporting on this event yesterday and their reactions reminded me of what we were like at a young age when we saw the first bare breast appear on television

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No example will suffice. Not falling for that bait. You know what's really funny.

You REALLY do like the sound of your own voice, don't you.

Tiresome to others but I suppose it fills up the forum.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Meanwhile the Thai girls walk around dressed like tramps and coifed for sex. Foreign tourists are quite conservatively dressed compared to the many Thai ladies. 

and they need to be, too many pounds per sq inch

But yet Chinese wash their feet in sinks and spit all over the place and nothings really said. 

It's simple, tourists are all stupid. Send one person to politely remind them of Thai societal norms.  Making a big deal out of it makes tourism look bad.  Most tourists dont behave in this manner.  

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean others than Thai's playing football, Sepak Takraw, casual badminton, and having picnics there ?

Years ago I played football there were a bunch of Thai lads myself - that said, its been a long time since I've been there and things may have changed...

..... if things have changed to such a degree that using the grassed area for recreational activities mentioned above is no longer culturally acceptable, its not a positive change.

Most of that area has changed from what I understand.  The shophouses on Ratchadamnon Avenue were taken over and rennovated, the zoo expelled, Royal Plaza closed to the public. The Red Cross now has to have its annual fair at Lumpini Park. Apparently,  most of the land belonged to the king and he decided to take much of it back.  Sanam Luang was given particularly special treatment because the area become a hangout for the homeless, drug addicts and prostitutes. 

But I haven't been over there for years either. Perhaps someone else could provide more up-to-date information.

7 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Sanam Luang was given particularly special treatment because the area become a hangout for the homeless, drug addicts and prostitutes. 

But I haven't been over there for years either. Perhaps someone else could provide more up-to-date information.

On where you score your smack and hookers ?????  :ninja:  :giggle:

16 hours ago, Kenneth White said:

Thailand really needs to come out of the dark ages. There are many things that are more important, like traffic control, not just checkpoints. The RTP needs to step it up, patrol the roads, and issue fines. I am a retired US Army veteran living here in Thailand and have the utmost respect for the RTP and Thai immigration officers.

I would have a lot more respect for the RTP if they actually did some work, and the same applies to the highway patrol. Both seem to utterly refuse to engage in anything related to Traffic Safety or accident prevention on the highways. 

I see a double standard, their dress isnt a full bikini the top yes but their bottom from picture no!

What they did prior to sun bathing but the attention is what bothers me the criticism by some Thai, these are the racist, prejudice, ignorant  that like to spend time pointing out anything small or large foreigners do that isnt in their rim of norm. But are so disensatized to their own short comings.

A photo op, 3 police, full investigation tracking them down as if some heaven to god rule was violated.

In my years here I've visited close to a hundred temples not being religious but respectful to religion it is a business nothing else. Ive seen Temples offer up their properties to hold events to generate money that includes a full area with a massive stage, sound system,table where alcohol was being sold dancing entertainment with girls wearing far less and dancing as if they were at a sex show with underage girls dancing as if they were drunk by of a pickup truck during Songkran.

Whoever these Thai pricks getting over it.😂 

On 1/17/2024 at 5:32 PM, BigStar said:

Only posters here are upset, for bashing purposes. Tourists do need a bit of educating sometimes that Thailand has its own culture too.

There should be sign on Public transport, no kissing, and also shirts should be required in areas off the beach. 

14 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I see a double standard, their dress isnt a full bikini the top yes but their bottom from picture no!

What they did prior to sun bathing but the attention is what bothers me the criticism by some Thai, these are the racist, prejudice, ignorant  that like to spend time pointing out anything small or large foreigners do that isnt in their rim of norm. But are so disensatized to their own short comings.

A photo op, 3 police, full investigation tracking them down as if some heaven to god rule was violated.

In my years here I've visited close to a hundred temples not being religious but respectful to religion it is a business nothing else. Ive seen Temples offer up their properties to hold events to generate money that includes a full area with a massive stage, sound system,table where alcohol was being sold dancing entertainment with girls wearing far less and dancing as if they were at a sex show with underage girls dancing as if they were drunk by of a pickup truck during Songkran.

Whoever these Thai pricks getting over it.😂 

If you integrated into society, you'd understand the disrespect here. 

You are hypocritical, you think as a non Buddhist you have a right to visit 100 temples for no religious reasons, yet criticize locals for having a party. It most definitely isn't about money. 

Thais are tolerant. They would disrespect Catholics by pointing out they drink wine at Mass, due to a mistranslation from Greek, where grape juice is the same word as wine. 

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

If you integrated into society, you'd understand the disrespect here. 

You are hypocritical, you think as a non Buddhist you have a right to visit 100 temples for no religious reasons, yet criticize locals for having a party. It most definitely isn't about money. 

Thais are tolerant. They would disrespect Catholics by pointing out they drink wine at Mass, due to a mistranslation from Greek, where grape juice is the same word as wine. 

Since you like to assume let me do some myself!

From your past posting, you are Thai. You do your share of bashing Thais but respond to someone like me when it doesn't suit you!  The only thing you have in common being a Thai is that you can't seem to take criticism if everyone on the board with negative comments which happens to be a majority ever thinks of the reason it sure isn't because we woke up this morning and said it Thai time!

Since you assume I will do the same and boost a bit even as to why I'm here. I'm not sure close to living in Thailand with Thais 99% of the time 24/7 365 days a year, being able to live like a poor Thai, squatting, sleeping on the floor, showering with cold water scooping, working in the fields with my wife family eating Thai food, officially adopting my wife Thai son who I first held in my arms when he was 6 months old, supporting and raising him today he is 24, married and has a daughter which I help care the majority of the day while everyone works at the family restaurant. When he was 13 years I put my life in harm's way for him to walk into a Thai nightclub with the intent to give my life to save him by telling the owner I was taking him out of there.

I don't know your definition of "Integrate"  But my Thai wife of 18 years and her entire family up north on their farm including her older brother who is a district official think the world of me despite my background. The people who wonder about me and where I come from are shocked when they hear what I've done for them, especially my son who isn't my blood how I sacrifice for a child that isn't mine is unheard in this culture. Does any of this qualify me to speak my opinion or I've not yet " integrated " enough?

Twenty-plus years ago, although I visited Thailand my father had sent my older brother away to protect him from a dispute he had with the Columbia Cartel. He was sent first to HK to the family after several years the dispute was settled I was sent to return him but he wasn't in HK or within the Mainland Triads, in the end, tracked him to Mai Sai known as Golden Triangle where he was for several years with Thais that had Chinese Hakka blood ties.

I lived with them for close to two months since we had to fix his overstay in Thailand prove he was a U.S. Citizen and obtain a new passport. During those two months, I learned a lot about their operation, thinking, and culture although I'm one to speak out when I see wrong it wasn't my place but I found first and foremost how prejudiced and racist they thought anyone who wasn't Thai and these pricks had many of these pricks had Chinese blood in them but I was respectful. 

While waiting for all the paperwork to be done my brother and I along with guides decided to travel around Thailand that is how I came to meet my future Thai wife in early 2000, a trip to Sukhothai during Loy Krathong. I gave up a pretty good life although not completely legit to live in Thailand with them since she refused to marry me and come to the U.S is 100% Thai. In fact, for over a year when return for short stays I couldn't meet her family because they heard she was seeing a farang therefore she must have been working in a bar or club and was outcasted. It wasn't until I brought along some Thai guides of my brother and they saw and met me it was explained I was accepted. I still remember sitting at a local restaurant the father, mother older brother, and his wife sat down and ask where is this <deleted> farang?  See pointed I still remember their look. I looked just like them and became one of them.

I'm not religious but being Chinese my family is Buddhist but they didn't practice the same as if it was a matter of life or death. Because of my wife and family, I respect her wishes I learned their custom at the Temples but I don't need to go to any temple or church of any religion to know what is right or wrong to guide me through life. As I've told a good friend by home a priest " I've done some really bad things and I've done some good and that too me is life " When it is time to get in line to the gates of heaven the gatekeeper asks why I should be received into his kingdom I will tell him what my priest told me " the man receives everyone ",

I've said I've visited close to 100 temples yet you assume what you assume that I haven't been respectful nor do I have a right to do so!  That is what is wrong with people like you! The reason history has shown those like you who believe so much are the hypocritical ones who assume you can only go if you truly believe or have a reason. My reason is to be respectful to my Thai wife, family, and son whom I gladly paid for the ceremony to be one. And that is another pat on my back by Thais when they find out that I did their faces the look " Who does that for a person that isn't his blood "

So what is it going to take? for me to integrate to visit a Temple. You think like the Thai leaders here who discriminate against all foreigners making us jump through hoops so you can claim control, charge us double, and smile welcome to the Land of Smiles.

My comment comes down to priority!  and making such a stink over innocent events goes into the stupidity category of respect when there are higher priorities.  The hypocrisy is making a federal case out of nothing when Temples use their property to throw events by renting out spaces and tents to sell food, alcohol, and dancing in far less clothing. Anyone who thinks it isn't a profitable business is blinded by being too in love with being Thai. A Thai MP said "The more patriotic the more stupid "

I was once asked to be 100% Thai, I smiled and said deep inside "You got to be <deleted> kidding "  one can criticize and still integrate!

On 1/17/2024 at 9:14 AM, bamnutsak said:

Saw a foreign woman, ~ 18 - 20 range in Daisy Dukes (15% reveal), last time at CW. A few stars but that's about it. 

Yes. I was again at Laksi last week. A couple of women were wearing short shorts. I guess apparently short shorts are fine for women but not for men at the Immigration offices. Interesting.