Donald Trump's return could leave Europe 'on its own', De Croo warns

stats

Screenshot_12.jpg.4a2adb0ac78df7c95b6dca4295c8ab99.jpg

Donald Trump's potential re-election in 2024 could leave Europe "on its own", Belgium's Prime Minister Alexander De Croo warned on Tuesday.

Speaking at the first plenary session of the year in the European Parliament in Strasbourg, De Croo said Europe should "not fear" the prospect of a Trump comeback.

"If 2024 brings us America First again, it will be more than ever Europe on its own,"  De Croo said.

"We should, as Europeans, not fear that prospect," he added. "We should embrace it by putting Europe on a more solid footing, stronger, more sovereign, more self-reliant."

A Republican takeover in the US presidential elections in November - whether Trumpian or not - threatens to severely disrupt the West's tightly aligned policy on Ukraine.

(more)

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2024/01/16/donald-trumps-return-could-leave-europe-on-its-own-de-croo-warns

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bultaco44 said:

A dream scenario for the EU Federalists.

At last, at last the downtrodden leaders of Europe could get rid of their inferiority complex

Hurrah

:intheclub:

He said Europe, It's not necessary the EU. In particular, a European defense would be meaningless without UK.

A European defense organisation could be like NATO without the U.S.

Then there are industrial policy issues which could be dealt with by the EU.

Edited by candide
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Tug said:

Then why pray tell did Sweden and Finland join nato?perhaps they are a mite worryed about Donnie’s bestest pal hummm??

Sweden and Finland long preferred to remain neutral - Putin's move into UA changed the mood a bit - nothing to do with Trump.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

You do understand that NATO is not just EU countries?

Albania, Canada, Iceland, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Norway, Türkiye, the United Kingdom and the United States.

Don't let that hatred of the EU distort the facts

Well that's true but the (Euronews) story does say that this Prime Minister Croo was speaking to the European Parliament and it also goes in to mention EU policy and concerns about a Trump return. NATO is only mentioned in the context of what Trump allegedly said to von der Leyen way back, but whatever exactly that was, it looks to have been taken out of context.

The EU hierarchy got bent out of shape after Trump complained about low defence budgets from some NATO members in the EU, which were less than the agreed NATO level. I doubt that Trump would abandon Europe in case of conflict with Russia - a time to really worry might be if the US left NATO itself.

Euronews is evidently an EU-supported political magazine that is anti Trump but if EU/European defences are enhanced by some fear of a Trump return, then fine. However, remember the EU was trying to initiate the formation of its own army a few years ago, so this looks like an opportune time for it to have another go. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, Tug said:

I’m watching the news rite now and European leaders are publicly in the open expressing their concerns over another trump abomination (administration)they ain’t happy with the prospect!

In the open? Disgusting!

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Well that's true but the (Euronews) story does say that this Prime Minister  Croo was speaking to the  European Parliament and it also goes in to mention EU policy and concerns about a Trump return. NATO is only mentioned in the context of what Trump allegedly said to von der Leyen way back, but whatever exactly that was, it looks to have been taken out of context.

The EU hierarchy got bent out of shape after Trump complained about low defense budgets from some NATO members in the EU, which were less than the agreed NATO level. I doubt that Trump would abandon Europe in case of conflict with Russia - a time to really worry might be if the US left NATO itself.

Euronews is evidently an EU-supported political magazine that is anti Trump but if EU/European defenses are enhanced by some fear of  a Trump return,  then fine. However, remember the EU was trying to initiate the formation of its own army a few years ago, so this looks like an opportunity time for it to have another go. 

Thank you for proving my point.

Another one that refuses to see the truth about what Trump had to say about leaving NATO, or was what he said just to feed the zombies,

Then you use IMO to get around those facts, and deny reality. 

My comment was facts, and yes this story and concern was raised in the EU parliament, or do you believe the EU should not have discussion or debate? Or do you think they should just shut up and bow down at the feet of ‘the man made by God as the American caretaker’, from the conman's own posts.

Have you a link showing Trump saying a positive about NATO? 

Maybe have a look at the link to what John Bolton said, or do you consider him a traitor/ never Trumpter.now!

Bye and have a good day, I have given up debating with cultists, but remember to donate to help pay for defamation trial.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/4136979-bolton-trump-second-term-nato/

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Another one that refuses to see the truth about what Trump had to say about leaving NATO, or was what he said just to feed the zombies,

My comment was facts, and yes this story and concern was raised in the EU parliament, or do you believe the EU should not have discussion or debate? Or do you think they should just shut up and bow down at the feet of ‘the man made by God as the American caretaker’, from the conman's own posts.

Maybe have a look at the link to what John Bolton said, or do you consider him a traitor/ never Trumpter.now!

Bye and have a good day, I have given up debating with cultists, but remember to donate to help pay for defamation trial.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/4136979-bolton-trump-second-term-nato/

The funniest thing in there was that you actually seem to think that you were debating!

• Confused 2

13 hours ago, Tug said:

Left to Putin’s tender mercy’s as trump shivs them in the guts pulls out of NATO and destroys the American economy collapsing the world economy 

Please get real. The combined GDP of the EU  is more than 10 times that of Russia. You can't seriously think that they are threatened in any way? 

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

If you have your breath back after that rant, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7NRgF9_QhU

• Confused 3

14 minutes ago, candide said:

Actually, only Trump's pal Putin made them pay their fair share....

Actually increased NATO member budgets started before the Russian invasion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Well that's true but the (Euronews) story does say that this Prime Minister Croo was speaking to the European Parliament and it also goes in to mention EU policy and concerns about a Trump return. NATO is only mentioned in the context of what Trump allegedly said to von der Leyen way back, but whatever exactly that was, it looks to have been taken out of context.

The EU hierarchy got bent out of shape after Trump complained about low defence budgets from some NATO members in the EU, which were less than the agreed NATO level. I doubt that Trump would abandon Europe in case of conflict with Russia - a time to really worry might be if the US left NATO itself.

Euronews is evidently an EU-supported political magazine that is anti Trump but if EU/European defences are enhanced by some fear of a Trump return, then fine. However, remember the EU was trying to initiate the formation of its own army a few years ago, so this looks like an opportune time for it to have another go. 

And It's not like anyone in the U.K. would be worried about this issue...

Oh wait! 😅

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump-re-election-could-threaten-uks-national-security-claims-ex-mi6-boss-13048148

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Really is that it. 555555

Where does it prove that Europe and the EU are not concerned about the conman.

Where is you evidence to prove Trump was not anti Nato., with his many threats to withdraw.

Here is a reminder of what Trump said “You need to understand that if Europe is under attack we will never come to help you and to support you,” and “By the way, Nato is dead, and we will leave, we will quit Nato.”

So you ignored what I posted from John Bolton, you know the man Trump, your hero, made National Security Adviser!

My rant, you really should look at your own posts.

Bye and remember your donations.

You little cartoons and unsubstantiated quotes prove nothing.

Bolton obviously has a grudge against Trump but zero evidence either.

Better look at this, especially from 6:00 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bAgT1thG4

• Confused 3

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You little cartoons and unsubstantiated quotes prove nothing.

Bolton obviously has a grudge against Trump but zero evidence either.

Better look at this, especially from 6:00 onwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bAgT1thG4

What do you expect Stoltenberg to say? Enrage Trump who may well be elected again?

• Agree 1