US consulate interview for tourist visa

Sorry if in the wrong place.

My Thai wife has an interview for her tourist visa at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai coming up soon.  Any tips on how to prepare?  What should she bring....I've heard bank records,  copies of chanotes, marriage certificate.  Any advice is appreciated.

1 hour ago, NotJoeMama said:

Sorry if in the wrong place.

My Thai wife has an interview for her tourist visa at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai coming up soon.  Any tips on how to prepare?  What should she bring....I've heard bank records,  copies of chanotes, marriage certificate.  Any advice is appreciated.

Etaoin gave you good advice.  Do NOT focus on documents -- they don't have time to look at them and any paper can be faked.  She needs to be able to articulate why she would return to Thailand after a brief visit, and make it clear that you're not trying to evade the proper immigration process by just getting her in on a tourist visa.  The longer you've been married and the more tied the two of you are to Thailand (you own property, have a job, etc) the better your chances.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

well,  When our daughter was to graduate from HS, accepted by US college, my wife applied for a tourist visa so that we could take our daughter back to the college and get her settled in since she had never been to the US.  We owned a house, fairly new car and I had retired here 20 years before and had spent almost all that time here in Thailand.  The Consulate decided that this was not reason enough to return to Thailand because my wife didn't work and we then decided on an immigrant visa.  This was during the Afghanistan evacuation so immigration in the US was backed up to approximately 500K immigrants and at that time, immigration was able to process less than 40K a month - it took 14 months for our request,

approved but by that time, our daughter was already enrolled in Thailand - the number one university and exactly the training that she desired so

liberal arts is liberal arts.  We made the decisions to just stay here in Thailand.  Much cheaper, better weather and much closer to our daughter.

But, maybe you will have much better luck and I wish you so.  GOOD LUCK!

"the Consulate decided"  Total BS         You are an American citizen  and so is your daughter (correct?)  but some pompous official decided your family's future?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, captnhoy said:

Another tactic and it worked for me is for you to create a cover letter for your wife to present at the interview. I created a single page document about why we would return. She presented that and my passport and she was approved.

that is an excellent idea

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

"the Consulate decided"  Total BS         You are an American citizen  and so is your daughter (correct?)  but some pompous official decided your family's future?

Yessir but you gotta let all those refugees in to counter the number of illegals pouring in from the south on a daily basis.  I think I read the other day that over 300K illegals crossed over in November for a new record.  Gotta give them all shelter, food , education (some through college even).  I am not against immigration but unless something is controlled it runs amok - EU is having the same problem with boat loads daily either making it or drowning.  A horrible situation made worse by tax dollars going to the <deleted>hold countries but instead of improving conditions for their citizens, they just send them to the developed countries.  Now it is affection elections too as far-right folks are getting more and more support from the citizens tired of fighting for their benefits.  But, daughter is doing well at the number one university here and is happier than anytime since prior to the pandemic.  She even has her future mapped out and where she will go to school after this stint in Thailand.  BTW, I am a former government worker who spent many years at the Embassy in Thailand but all that goes for naught when some counsular officers says "not approved".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Yessir but you gotta let all those refugees in to counter the number of illegals pouring in from the south on a daily basis.  I think I read the other day that over 300K illegals crossed over in November for a new record.  Gotta give them all shelter, food , education (some through college even).  I am not against immigration but unless something is controlled it runs amok - EU is having the same problem with boat loads daily either making it or drowning.  A horrible situation made worse by tax dollars going to the <deleted>hold countries but instead of improving conditions for their citizens, they just send them to the developed countries.  Now it is affection elections too as far-right folks are getting more and more support from the citizens tired of fighting for their benefits.  But, daughter is doing well at the number one university here and is happier than anytime since prior to the pandemic.  She even has her future mapped out and where she will go to school after this stint in Thailand.  BTW, I am a former government worker who spent many years at the Embassy in Thailand but all that goes for naught when some counsular officers says "not approved".  

Illegals have been pouring over the US border for decades now one party decides to make it a issue as if they GAF  -they are the ones that encouraged them to come .   I taught many in a school district in the US they were aghast when i told them I was opposed to illegal immigration (i'm a liberal -maybe a centrist -maybe a liberal)  I could go on about this but back to your issue -you were actually told by an American government official that your Thai wife could not visit America to see her daughter off to college WTAF???

• Confused 1

I have twice had my Thai partners received US Tourist Visas without issues. The first in 2013 with my GF. We were, however going on a Round the World trip (used my accumulated air miles)  going to the US, Europe, Turkey, India and home to Thailand. She took my cover letter and airline ticket confirmation. Last April my Thai Wife and Thai Stepdaughter (17 and still in school) traveled to the US SE Coast for one month. Again, cover letter, RT air tickets. I sent a folder of documentation but it was not looked at … 10 Year Tourist Visas without issue.

The interview is pretty much determine prior to the interview. Questions asked is to confirm the application information. The comments I like is have her bring your passport and a letter as stated for insurance have it certfied by a attorney international. There are interviewer who will be a Bit arrogant not want to be contradicted will not look at document regardless  have it. Aside from you being married 15 years maybe I missed it how long you been living here purpose and Visa type. I ask because as another they want to see a anchor for her to return especially if you are sole supporter.

For example if you have a Immigration O retired and Thailand is your home she having a passport travel outside of Thailand in the past those are all plus.

Personal story in the days when we were allow to go along the interviews the applicant was refused, wife 5 years, husband sole supporter refused ask why no anchor, explained he wad living here past few years retirement visa, reversed granted.

Good luck, have a great trip.

Edited by thailand49
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

If true, figure was rounded to next 100,000 - for example 242,418 entering along the southwest border in November becomes 300,000.

Also, the total includes 191 113 people who went to ports of entry so not "illegals. "

Furthermore, "illegals" under US law are entitled under the US Constition right of Due Process to claim refugee status that is adjudicated by the courts.

But many immigration problems related to entry along the US southwest border stem today from the legacy of the Trump administration and current US Congress GOP.

• In the former for example, Trump reduced the number of immigration judges handling legal processing of immigrants.
  • In the latter the GOP House consistently rejects additional funding for Homeland Security to enforce border control, yet pursues impeachment of the Secretary of Homeland Security for failing his duties - election year buffoonery.

See what I read without having to think what I read:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/22/politics/border-surge-record-amounts/index.html

House GOP member quoted  we will do nothing to solve the border situation and help Biden's approval rating.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, charleskerins said:

US consular staff who are Dept of State officials are not the vile vile ICE

Actually wonderful highly educated and have always been a pleasure to deal with

Coming on a tourist status and then ”changing ones mind”  so that basically the spouse of US citizen never has to leave the US is the concern as gaming the system and probably would end up as a black mark on that consular persons record.

I naiively actually did same unknowingly with my first wife 25 plus years ago, even though she entered visa exempt. Dont know if you can get away with that now. About 500 bucks to get a cheap immigration lawyer in HNL push the paperwork

I know of several occasions where Asian women married to Americans, even a  wealthy Korean mans Thai wife were denied tourist visas to the US, for no good reason.  Very unfortunate  as a mom helping her daughter get set up in college is a totally normal family activity.

• Confused 1

Tourist visas are a real crap shoot.

I understand the horrendous rate of single Thai women who come in and overstay, for various reasons and the obvious one is probably the one that occupies the CO most.

But then there are the ones like my wife, who before we were married applied for a tourist visa and was denied.

Brought up in Chicago as a teenager, US college educated, good job in Thailand, we owned our home, I thought it was a slam dunk, silly me.

My only thought was that the CO 'thought' we would travel to the US get married and then apply for an adjustment of status, in order to bypass the normal immigration process.

I also think by the time she gets to the interview the decision has already been made, and no matter what pile of documentation she has in her hand won't make a scrap of difference

Ironically after we got legally married we applied for an immigrant visa, nothing in our life had changed except for that piece of paper, and it sailed though, and she's now a green card holder

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 5:51 AM, Presnock said:

well,  When our daughter was to graduate from HS, accepted by US college, my wife applied for a tourist visa so that we could take our daughter back to the college and get her settled in since she had never been to the US.  We owned a house, fairly new car and I had retired here 20 years before and had spent almost all that time here in Thailand.  The Consulate decided that this was not reason enough to return to Thailand because my wife didn't work and we then decided on an immigrant visa.  This was during the Afghanistan evacuation so immigration in the US was backed up to approximately 500K immigrants and at that time, immigration was able to process less than 40K a month - it took 14 months for our request,

approved but by that time, our daughter was already enrolled in Thailand - the number one university and exactly the training that she desired so

liberal arts is liberal arts.  We made the decisions to just stay here in Thailand.  Much cheaper, better weather and much closer to our daughter.

But, maybe you will have much better luck and I wish you so.  GOOD LUCK!

Daughter going off to college in the US was also the reason my wife applied for a visa to visit the US. She had visited before, albeit on a single-entry visa, some twenty years before so it wasn't her first visit. During her interview she was asked almost exclusively about my status here, where I worked, etc. They asked her for my passport, which she did not have with her. Fortunately, she was approved.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:06 AM, charleskerins said:

Yeah, that's their job.

How do you think this happens?

6 hours ago, ChicagoExpat said:

Yeah, that's their job.

How do you think this happens?

What's their job making incorrect decisions to place unnecessary obstacles in the paths of law abiding citizens?   Their job is to HELP American citizens in Thailand.     "Yeah" 

13 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

What's their job making incorrect decisions to place unnecessary obstacles in the paths of law abiding citizens?   Their job is to HELP American citizens in Thailand.     "Yeah" 

The CO's tread a difficult path.

I won't deny I was totally pissed off when my then gf was denied a tourist visa after years of living together.

But, my now wife is a legal resident, I look around her group of friends here in little 'ol Rapid City City South Dakota, with the exception of my wife and one other lady who like my wife came in as a resident, all of them came on tourist visas, overstayed, married a local guy the list goes on.

The CO's have to navigate this minefield and I'm pretty sure it's not easy

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

The CO's tread a difficult path.

I won't deny I was totally pissed off when my then gf was denied a tourist visa after years of living together.

But, my now wife is a legal resident, I look around her group of friends here in little 'ol Rapid City City South Dakota, with the exception of my wife and one other lady who like my wife came in as a resident, all of them came on tourist visas, overstayed, married a local guy the list goes on.

The CO's have to navigate this minefield and I'm pretty sure it's not easy

But his situation seemed pretty clear cut no?      Also -are you in SD now ? How is the weather?  There is a group of Americans there with Thai wives? Fascinating.  Yes but they came with their future husbands correct?  So technically they could be deported? 

Edited by charleskerins
interest

15 hours ago, charleskerins said:

So your complaint is that they don't get it right 100%.  Prior to Ginboy's comment you seemed unaware that (gasp!) some Thais might overstay their visas -- even when claiming a connection to a U.S. citizen.

Your belief, apparently, is that anyone who claims a connection to a U.S. citizen should get a visa.

"Yeah"

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, charleskerins said:

But his situation seemed pretty clear cut no?      Also -are you in SD now ? How is the weather?  There is a group of Americans there with Thai wives? Fascinating.  Yes but they came with their future husbands correct?  So technically they could be deported? 

Actually right now we're in Sweden for vacation then on to Thailand through March.

As for my wife's overstay friends, not a one of them came with a bf in tow

Regular tourist visas, overstayed then met a guy got married, then they apply for a change of status.

One of our friends she was here close to 10 years overstay, before she married a guy from the local AFB.

For her sins he got posted to Minot ND!

On 1/19/2024 at 8:07 AM, charleskerins said:

that is an excellent idea

They seldom accept letters like this and generally if they do it goes in the trash. They base the decision on their view of the likelihood on coming back to Thailand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChicagoExpat said:

So your complaint is that they don't get it right 100%.  Prior to Ginboy's comment you seemed unaware that (gasp!) some Thais might overstay their visas -- even when claiming a connection to a U.S. citizen.

Your belief, apparently, is that anyone who claims a connection to a U.S. citizen should get a visa.

"Yeah"

"Yeah" I reviewed 100% of the cases and concluded that they didn't get  everyone right -nope only commented on his case.

"Yeah"  I was stunned to find out there was actually a Thai  who overstayed their visa in the US -nope I was interested that there were a group of Thai women married living in South Dakota.

"Yeah" I believe everyone should get a visa  -Nope never said anything of the sort .

"yeah"   your reading comprehension sucks.

31 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Actually right now we're in Sweden for vacation then on to Thailand through March.

As for my wife's overstay friends, not a one of them came with a bf in tow

Regular tourist visas, overstayed then met a guy got married, then they apply for a change of status.

One of our friends she was here close to 10 years overstay, before she married a guy from the local AFB.

For her sins he got posted to Minot ND!

Very very interesting . Fascinating thanks for your civil response.

13 minutes ago, Dan O said:

They seldom accept letters like this and generally if they do it goes in the trash. They base the decision on their view of the likelihood on coming back to Thailand. 

"Another tactic and it worked for me is for you to create a cover letter for your wife to present at the interview."

key word is seldom and they generally dont accept additional paperwork and rarely look at it. I've been through it several times. If it works great but the decision is based on their perception of your credibility to return. 

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

"Yeah" I reviewed 100% of the cases and concluded that they didn't get  everyone right -nope only commented on his case.

"Yeah"  I was stunned to find out there was actually a Thai  who overstayed their visa in the US -nope I was interested that there were a group of Thai women married living in South Dakota.

"Yeah" I believe everyone should get a visa  -Nope never said anything of the sort .

"yeah"   your reading comprehension sucks.

Editing my reply to you, which gave it back in kind.

I think we're both tired of this and there's enough bile in the world, so have a good day.

Edited by ChicagoExpat