US consulate interview for tourist visa

33 minutes ago, Dan O said:

key word is seldom and they generally dont accept additional paperwork and rarely look at it. I've been through it several times. If it works great but the decision is based on their perception of your credibility to return. 

Exactly right.  Relying on paper is a bad idea, and prepping to be able to explain her ties to Thailand, that she understands the law and requirement to complete a short stay only, etc is a much better plan.

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

key word is seldom and they generally dont accept additional paperwork and rarely look at it. I've been through it several times. If it works great but the decision is based on their perception of your credibility to return. 

For a person not fluent in English wouldn't the paper be a helpful resource for her to refer to? What do you think the most important aspect of credibility to return is?  Children under 18?  owning a Thai business ? Age gap a factor? And what do you think the easiest visa vis to obtain tourist ? Marriage ? fiance?

Edited by charleskerins
nm

On 1/19/2024 at 10:54 AM, Wrwest said:

I have twice had my Thai partners received US Tourist Visas without issues. The first in 2013 with my GF. We were, however going on a Round the World trip (used my accumulated air miles)  going to the US, Europe, Turkey, India and home to Thailand. She took my cover letter and airline ticket confirmation. Last April my Thai Wife and Thai Stepdaughter (17 and still in school) traveled to the US SE Coast for one month. Again, cover letter, RT air tickets. I sent a folder of documentation but it was not looked at … 10 Year Tourist Visas without issue.

What was in the cover letter? How important do you think the roundtrip tickets were?

3 hours ago, ChicagoExpat said:

Exactly right.  Relying on paper is a bad idea, and prepping to be able to explain her ties to Thailand, that she understands the law and requirement to complete a short stay only, etc is a much better idea

Sorry if you dont like real life but its out there. You apparently didnt read or comprehend what I wrote. If you think it worked great but I can tell you they generally don't even take any accept any additional paperwork other than what they ask for. 

1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

For a person not fluent in English wouldn't the paper be a helpful resource for her to refer to? What do you think the most important aspect of credibility to return is?  Children under 18?  owning a Thai business ? Age gap a factor? And what do you think the easiest visa vis to obtain tourist ? Marriage ? fiance?

You honestly believe they are going to accept a written documemt outlining a person's plan from someone that can't even read what's on the paper or explain it. Family ties here like younger children, owning land and/or a business, having  a job, caring for your elderly parents. Marriage and fiancee visas are different category and they look at those separately with their own criteria. 

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

You honestly believe they are going to accept a written documemt outlining a person's plan from someone that can't even read what's on the paper or explain it. Family ties here like younger children, owning land and/or a business, having  a job, caring for your elderly parents. Marriage and fiancee visas are different category and they look at those separately with their own criteria. 

They formulated the paper but they can't read it  ???     Forget it.

15 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

They formulated the paper but they can't read it  ???     Forget it.

Yes you can forget continuing this discussion because you aren't the OP and your knowledge about the interview process is obviously limited. You also didn't read what the poster said about why he wrote the document.

18 hours ago, Dan O said:

Sorry if you dont like real life but its out there. You apparently didnt read or comprehend what I wrote. If you think it worked great but I can tell you they generally don't even take any accept any additional paperwork other than what they ask for. 

I have no idea what you're saying -- I was agreeing with you.  I'm OK with real life.

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking at starting the application with my wife. I have zero interest in moving back to the US, but I don't get to attend the interview. Happy to show them the Elite visa but getting the officer to read and understand is a problem. I don't mind rolling the dice with the 6700 baht. It would be nice to show her America but there are other places to go.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 9:07 AM, charleskerins said:
On 1/19/2024 at 7:16 AM, captnhoy said:

Another tactic and it worked for me is for you to create a cover letter for your wife to present at the interview. I created a single page document about why we would return. She presented that and my passport and she was approved.

that is an excellent idea

Yes, that's what I provided as supporting documentation for my Thai wife's successful UK visit visa application. It also mentioned my being based in Thailand and working regionally as a reason why she's coming back to Thailand (with me and my wallet).

Just to note though that she should have a very good idea of the details in that letter as ultimately, you won't be party to the interview, and she may be asked to confirm things stated in the letter. Wrong time for a 'deer in the headlights' moment when unable to answer something like, where will you stay (if a hotel booking) or where do his parents live (if staying with them).

Easy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, that's what I provided as supporting documentation for my Thai wife's successful UK visit visa application. It also mentioned my being based in Thailand and working regionally as a reason why she's coming back to Thailand (with me and my wallet).

Just to note though that she should have a very good idea of the details in that letter as ultimately, you won't be party to the interview, and she may be asked to confirm things stated in the letter. Wrong time for a 'deer in the headlights' moment when unable to answer something like, where will you stay (if a hotel booking) or where do his parents live (if staying with them).

Easy.

How did it go ?How long did they interview her for?  Did you both go to England yet?

6 hours ago, charleskerins said:

How did it go ?How long did they interview her for?  Did you both go to England yet?

The UK uses a third party called VFS for their visa application screening, not a formal interview per-se and not done by actual embassy or consular staff.

The first time, when the VFS office was down Rajdamri, my wife described it as 'intimidating' but that was her first application. The next two were at their Sukhumvit location and more of a box-check of provided documents. There was a debate at that time about how different VFS staff were deciding that some documents were not needed and handing them back. Some failed applicant's partners suggested that having important supporting documents 'screened out' by poorly trained VFS staff was the cause of their rejection. I told my wife that if a VFS interviewer decides to take something out, she has no right to do that and insist that ALL submitted paperwork be included. She didn't have to do this.

All approved and made several trips over the years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The UK uses a third party called VFS for their visa application screening, not a formal interview per-se and not done by actual embassy or consular staff.

The first time, when the VFS office was down Rajdamri, my wife described it as 'intimidating' but that was her first application. The next two were at their Sukhumvit location and more of a box-check of provided documents. There was a debate at that time about how different VFS staff were deciding that some documents were not needed and handing them back. Some failed applicant's partners suggested that having important supporting documents 'screened out' by poorly trained VFS staff was the cause of their rejection. I told my wife that if a VFS interviewer decides to take something out, she has no right to do that and insist that ALL submitted paperwork be included. She didn't have to do this.

All approved and made several trips over the years.

nice

I do understand why alot of people get rejected, but why some others get a visa is beyond me. My wife met two single ladies, one in her early thirties and a member of the RTP, the other was in late forties, single had a masters in education, and a job at a university. Both took off and went looking for a guy to marry. The Cop got married pretty quickly, the other lady went from San Diego to Boston to work in a friends restaurant. The Cop is still here, the Older lady went back with her Aunt after 5 years. My wife is disgusted by both as it ruins it for her Brother and Mother who would have like to come for a valid visit.

What is weird is at around same time my MIL applied to come here for a month or so, she had a passport, land, and was 72, not exactly looking for a guy or a job, she was rejected as a high risk something or another. These two younger broads received visas and had ulterior motives. My BIL would like to come, but we know better. My MIL died in 2019, lovely person, and never made it for a visit. My wife is a citizen now, but won't apply for her family to come over. Too much BS, but it is understandable why there is so much to go through. I have thought, jokingly, to have my BIL come to mexico and cross the border illegally instead of a visa, but my wife would be pissed as she absolutely hates illegals.

• Confused 1