Spread the word! More Brits in Thailand can now vote in the UK

webfact

4 hours ago, RobU said:

It's called pension credit and tops up the state pension to the same as if you had paid full NI contributions 

It does nothing of the sort!

Why are you posting more misleading info re UK State Pensions?

Pension Credit: Eligibility - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) 

Pension Credit

Eligibility

You must live in England, Scotland or Wales and have reached State Pension age to qualify for Pension Credit.

If you have a partner

You must include your partner on your application.

You’ll be eligible if either:

you and your partner have both reached State Pension age

one of you is getting Housing Benefit for people over State Pension age

A partner is either:

your husband, wife or civil partner - if you live with them

someone you live with as a couple, without being married or in a civil partnership

Your income

When you apply for Pension Credit your income is calculated. If you have a partner, your income is calculated together.

Pension Credit tops up:

your weekly income to £201.05 if you’re single

your joint weekly income to £306.85 if you have a partner

If your income is higher, you might still be eligible for Pension Credit if you have a disability, you care for someone, you have savings or you have housing costs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Denim said:

Thanks. I'll get on this. A little extra never hurts

See my post directly above!

PS; this is the third time he has posted misleading information re UK Pensions on this thread!

Edited by scottiejohn
PS added
  • Agree 1

On 1/18/2024 at 1:05 PM, NanLaew said:

Now, all you malcontents squatting in moobahns and bahn nawk, whining about how s**t your home has become, register to vote, vote Reform and let's get shot of the bloody Tories.

Swap a far right Party for an extreme right Party? Both of which hate immigrants, but hey you’re an expat not an immigrant.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Clydesdale said:

I am very sure he does not want to do it. After the last election he quit as leader of his own party. Likes telling the big story but not the graft that goes with it.

That monstrosity is just an attention seeking grifter. Tried 7 times and failed to become an MP. Waste of oxygen.

4 hours ago, stargrazer9889 said:

My Brit friend moved to Thailand over 20 years ago, because he was tired of hearing the local mosque

doing their 5AM wake up call. His whole neighborhood was taken over by those

immigrants. He advised me to visit Scotland, where I had a better chance to see real

Scots. Maybr next June I will make a visit.

He was tired of immigrants so he went to another country to be an immigrant.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I'll be in the UK for a month or so next year so I'll look into it. I have a UK address , name on all utility bills , UK phone number and registered with doctor at local clinic .

you should be fine, but watch out for the GP  they have a nasty habit of striking people off their lists if you haven't been sick for a while,  I think its 5 years, but I'm not sure.

To be honest I'm not sure its a requirement to be registered, personally I don't think it should be , as It can be difficult to find one willing to accept  new patients, as I found out during covid when I needed to get jabbed in order to be allowed to travel 

On 1/18/2024 at 1:05 PM, NanLaew said:

Now, all you malcontents squatting in moobahns and bahn nawk, whining about how s**t your home has become, register to vote, vote Reform and let's get shot of the bloody Tories.

I know how bad the Tories are, but they don't profess to be the party of the working class. Now contrast that with Labour who do profess to be the party of the working class.

They have a multi millionaire leader with a "Sir" in front of his name. Now let's be honest here, is this "Sir" really going to be interested in the working class?

The same thing is going to happen that has been happening all my working life, you will just be changing like for like.

The Tories have been in power for the biggest majority of my adult life, so what is the percentage of the working class population of the UK? I would say maybe about 80%.

What does that tell you? It would tell me that the biggest majority of the British people for a big part of my adult life would be Tory voters.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Swap a far right Party for an extreme right Party? Both of which hate immigrants, but hey you’re an expat not an immigrant.

"extreme right"  :cheesy:       "far right"  :cheesy:       and then in a later post  "monstrosity"  and ""waste of oxygen" :shock1:    Standard rhetoric from the oh so tolerant woke brigade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

See my post directly above!

PS; this is the third time he has posted misleading information re UK Pensions on this thread!

Isn't it means tested too ,  need to have less than a certain amount in savings  £8000 rings a bell but I may be mistaken

So who gets to vote and who does not qualify to be able to vote?

From link in Post.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Who can register

You must be aged 16 or over (or 14 or over in Scotland and Wales).

You must also be one of the following:

a British citizen

an Irish or EU citizen living in the UK

a Commonwealth citizen who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission

a citizen of another country living in Scotland or Wales who has permission to enter or stay in the UK, or who does not need permission

Check which elections you’re eligible to vote in.

You can vote when you’re 18 or over. If you live in Scotland or Wales, you can vote in some elections when you’re 16 or over - check which elections you’re eligible to vote in.

You normally only need to register once - not for every election. You’ll need to register again if you’ve changed your name, address or nationality. 

Edited by Derek B

18 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

you should be fine, but watch out for the GP  they have a nasty habit of striking people off their lists if you haven't been sick for a while,  I think its 5 years, but I'm not sure.

To be honest I'm not sure its a requirement to be registered, personally I don't think it should be , as It can be difficult to find one willing to accept  new patients, as I found out during covid when I needed to get jabbed in order to be allowed to travel 

If you leave the UK and become a non-resident you are meant to de-register with your local GP Practice. 

Just now, Bday Prang said:

Isn't it means tested too ,  need to have less than a certain amount in savings  £8000 rings a bell but I may be mistaken

You don't just get it automatically as the poster seems to indicate.  You have to provide proof that you qualify which of course includes rent, utility, bank statements etc.  You of course need to be in the UK, sometimes you have to provide proof of being in the UK for a certain week (the dates change every year) to get it just like the big winter fuel allowance payments etc if you are not already getting pension credits.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I was lucky with the GP. Registered at that clinic 3 years ago but only used it for first time ( twice ) when I was back in the UK back in August 2023. I told them straight that I am retired and like to spend the winter months on long holidays somewhere sunny. No problem at all except the GP's at that clinic now do most first appointments by phone !! Second visit was to get my last rabies jab. ( rest were started in Thailand )

24 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

but watch out for the GP  they have a nasty habit of striking people off their lists if you haven't been sick for a while,  I think its 5 years, but I'm not sure.

Why should they strike you off!  You are a free "member" to them!

I never visited my GP/Doctors Surgery between 1972 (for a pre employment medical) and 2008 (feeling unwell) but was still on his successors "list" and was seen without comment!

5 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why should they strike you off!  You are a free "member" to them!

I never visited my GP/Doctors Surgery between 1972 (for a pre employment medical) and 2008 (feeling unwell) but was still on his successors "list" and was seen without comment!

It does happen, I was registered at a gp since I was a baby ,hadn't been there since the 1980's     trie to get jabbed there and was refused due to being struck off the list, I did hear it was due to a gov crackdown  on GP's keeping those on the list who had died or moved away,, something to do with the way they get funded...  Not really sure 

9 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Judging by many comments, I do not suppose for one minute that the political Organisations will benefit from the vote from a group of people who as far as I can determine from comments a group of people fuelled by the hatred of a country that provides many of them with sustenance even though many of them do not really deserve it .

Good idea in my book can at last have a minuite say on how my UK TAX IS spent m

".......even though many of them do not really deserve it"

And many more of them DO! 

If you have paid your dues ( taxes, National Insurance contributions etc) all your working life then surely you should be entitled to the same benefits as someone living in the UK? 

In fact many people living in the UK are more worthy of your  "do not really deserve it" comment!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There are mosques in Thailand too!  Maybe your Brit friend should be more careful about where he lives!

Are there? I suppose there is the odd one or two. I have been here for 17 years and could not tell you where there is even one Mosque.

Back in Scotland it is a completely different story.

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

The high court? Or do you mean the EHCR, which the UK can't ignore as the TCA with the EU locks Britain into a number of provisions relating to the human rights convention as a standard on policing?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/08/eu-could-terminate-police-and-security-agreement-if-uk-quits-echr

Even after the withdrawal agreement, the UK still follows much of what the EU wants. The TCA needs revising too.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the prospects of the TCA changing much

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/will-the-2026-tca-review-reshape-uk-eu-relations/

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, arick said:

All commonwealth citizens can vote in a UK general election..  they should make easier for Canadian and Nigerians Jamaicans Indians Pakistan. To vote 😝😝

Are you 100% sure about that?

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

He was tired of immigrants so he went to another country to be an immigrant.

Would it not be against the law in the UK for Mosques to wake up everyone in a neighbourhood at 5am? Obviously no one has reported it. I certainly would.

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

You didn't read about the 5.5 million ghost patients costing up to £950 million a year ?

Google it

11 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Well there appears to be a minister for everything else  so why not?  They could start by giving the embassy staff a shake up , and then address the injustice of frozen pensions

yes and if you get your vote you can lobby your MP to support pensions for all, one expat might not count but enough expats voting may make politicians think again

May as  well vote for a  peanut  called  gordon, probably got better policies than all the other useless  parties and make more sense, cant see any difference  all pretty sheite all round, too obsessed with  being careful what they say, none of them can utter a  sentence without it being approved wasting money sending migrants to Rwanda, just shoot a  few  of  them dead in the boats so they realise that that non safe country they left behind ( oh really) might be a better choice after  all. They know damn well if they can drag a  baby on board the soft Bwitish will give them everything, clearly they dont value the life of their sprogs anyway to do that.

I vote for 6 months  benefit for the unemployed, then none at  all if you cant find a job in 6  months your useless anyway, no more council housing or housing schemes where they throw/force "social houses" in amongst private developments, total recipe for disaster, best man woman for the job not stupid quotas of black white green pink disabled misgendered weirdos, removal of  all the stupid surveillance cameras everywhere, removal of speed limits especially wales and its dumb as frick 20mph £28  million  re signAge costs...........Well I could go on but none of them stand for what I want. Dont get me started on wastage in the NHS, council tax and local mostly bankrupt yet increasing the rates by 10% councils etc etc etc

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

"extreme right"  :cheesy:       "far right"  :cheesy:       and then in a later post  "monstrosity"  and ""waste of oxygen" :shock1:    Standard rhetoric from the oh so tolerant woke brigade

“Woke brigade” standard rhetoric of the bigot brigade.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Would it not be against the law in the UK for Mosques to wake up everyone in a neighbourhood at 5am? Obviously no one has reported it. I certainly would.

I guess if a church can wake you up with bells then a mosque has the same rights.

• Haha 1