Facebook Scam on Marketplace

33 RPM

Apart from the bleeding obvious,,,

i have purchased quite a few things off Facebook Marketplace, usually with a happy ending.

Surprised  ??  I am as well

But i recently purchased something from a seller, communication seemed normal, the price was normal,

but he has scarpered.  Is not there anymore . GONE....

as is my money it seems.

i paid the amount directly into his nominated bank account, if indeed it was his.

Do i have any recourse through the bank ?

And im sure this will titillate and amuse many readers, but if anyone has a " sensible " comment, suggestion,,,,,

id appreciate it.

I think you will find the owner of the bank account is an unsuspecting money mule.

He/she probably replied to one of those adverts, asking people to respond and earn money by processing inputs and outputs, etc. etc.

The scammer probably got 90% of your funds within minutes of you sending it.

18 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I know if you transfer to the wrong account, the bank will contact the account holder and ask them to return the money. So, give your bank a call, and do a report with your local police. 

yes im sure if you ask nicely the scammer will return the funds pronto 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, 33 RPM said:

i have purchased quite a few things off Facebook Marketplace, usually with a happy ending.

That's the first time I have ever seen a "happy ending" as a payment option on Facebook Marketplace.

• Haha 2

I personally do not like the platform and rarely use it, only using it for hunting down interesting things on Marketplace that are not advertised anywhere else

i suppose it has its " benefits " for those who cant get enough on twotter or whatever its called

and have had 80 % success rate with genuine sellers, mainly.

its the other XXXXXXXX 's that leave the sour taste

as for being held to account, HA HA

they could not care less, which is just the state of play today

Sad....

I got scammed on FB market last year to the tune of about 10,000 THB for a camera lens. Money sent to his bank account at Bangkok Bank. He actually admitted it was a scam as soon as he had the money. Within an hour my wife and I were at the police station filing a report.

Needless to say, maybe the police contacted the bank, probably not. I got nothing in return but a lesson in FB and Thailand.

I have since had two other scams, but I only do COD now. The last one was an empty box that was supposed to be boots,  I refused to accept. The delivery guy told me before I even held the box there was noting in it. He had no problems taking it back.

So if you get bit, forget about getting money back. Now maybe if you are Thai, the police might show some interest.

• Like 1

A lesson in life. FB is only face to face transactions. Sure the is a good chance the seller is genuine & will send the product as promised, but there a risks now with more and more people selling, taking the money and ghosting.

Be wise & smarter or you'll be that fool who's money has not departed.

On 1/19/2024 at 6:04 PM, 33 RPM said:

paid the amount directly into his nominated bank account

Are you OUT OF YOUR MIND? 

You should be embarrassed even declaring this on our forum. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 1

On 1/20/2024 at 11:12 AM, jingjai9 said:

You are doing people a noble service by reporting how you were violated when using FB. It helps to raise awareness on just how unreliable FB is as time goes by.

Agreed...   the obvious answer when using such market places is  'face to face'  only.

I've sold loads of stuff on FB market place, but its open to scammers... 

I even sold (and shipped) a motorcycle to someone in a different city - they obviously trusted me, but I thought them somewhat naive to do so.

I have also purchased of FB market place - but carried out the transaction (pickup and payment) in person.

As far as recourse goes - you could make a complaint (file a Police report) but as another poster already mentioned, its very possible that the scammer is using a third parties bank account. 

I find the platform (FaceBook Market Place) very useful for gauging the market value of items I may want to sell (phones etc).

Yes, lesson learned.

Trust, im sure it used to exist.

Embarrassed no, others might be

The amount is of no relevance

Agreed its sometimes a useful tool for what something might be worth.