Would You Send YOUR Child/Grandchild to a...School in China?

When I was in school, at a prep school, I studied loooooong hours.

But, that was only because I WANTED to...

And, it was because I could often choose what and how I studied.

I would study until midnight, or beyond, and enjoy it, and never feel stressed.

But what about the typical student in China that often needs to study dumb worthless Topics like Xi-JinPing Thought?

Is this something that will benefit the student in Old Age?

Or, is it a waste of time, time which could be better spent following an individualistic approach, according to Free Study decided by each student....?

Here, for example is a typical study regimen, a day in and day out drudge schedule, which all/most students must mindlessly adhere to:

image.png.6cbbbfdef8275637a1c3b21ffa372377.png

What would you do if someone tried to force your child to work from 6AM to 10:30PM, with some of that time devoted to CLEANING the school and dormitory, spending time washing the latrines, and such?

What would YOU do?

Regards,

Gamma

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When I was in school, at a prep school, I studied loooooong hours.

But, that was only because I WANTED to.

I wanted to be an astronaut, I guess we were both disappointed. 

Reading something and understanding it are two different things. 

But to the issue of sending my kid to China. I was thinking , she crashes another car and maybe  North Korea might be a better choice. .   

• Haha 1

Studying Xi Jinping's crap ideology, if not spending too much time per week on it, could actually be beneficial for the young person's critical thinking skills (if exposed to outside knowledge to).

More worrisome are probably the low quality of education, large and noisy classes, and the dubious canteen food, not to mention the large number of strange infections going around recently, purposefully hidden by the government.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 1

Thailand - First class 7:40.  Last class 16:00.

China - First class 8:10.  Last class 16:40

I have studied with Thai and Chinese students and the Thai student absolutely obliterated Chinese students.  The Thai students can speak Thai, English and Chinese.  The Chinese can only speak rural Chinese.  They sit in every class in total silence.  They lacked even basic primary school grammar.  The teacher had to teach them how to write the days of the week because they kept saying 'day 2' 'day 5'.  This was at university level.

Chinese schools are all show but when it comes down to it Thai students would crush them in math, English, and science.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

More worrisome are probably the low quality of education, large and noisy classes, and the dubious canteen food

Yes.

I know, firsthand, that this is all true.

I lost teeth to rice with pebbles mixed in.

The teachers are lousy, many of them anyway.

The class sizes are Crazy Huge....

I never taught at a school there...but....

I studied Chinese at a university (ChuanDa) in China...and I know what universities are like...and saw TongJi University, up close, for a period of time.

But it is the new ed system regulations being put in place by Xi that are so detrimental to the mind of young students in the grades 7 through 12 which I find detestable.

Xi must go.

Xi is a thousand times worse than Trump, although...they are birds of a feather in terms of personality.

6 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

I have studied with Thai and Chinese students and the Thai student absolutely obliterated Chinese students.  The Thai students can speak Thai, English and Chinese.  The Chinese can only speak rural Chinese.  They sit in every class in total silence.  They lacked even basic primary school grammar.  The teacher had to teach them how to write the days of the week because they kept saying 'day 2' 'day 5'.  This was at university level.

Chinese schools are all show but when it comes down to it Thai students would crush them in math, English, and science.

Most interesting.

Thai students are FAR Happier, and this is the truth.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

I think you forgot to mention that the Chinese student's day does not end in the afternoons.

The day ends at 10:00 PM, and the students return from school at 10:30 PM...

I think people should keep their noses out of China and other sovereign countries. Meddling is Neo-colonialism, inventing reasons for war by unscrupulous propaganda. I have been in China once in 1986, and there were too many people. What the CCP{ have achieved is remarkable, to take a backward invaded country in 1945, fight a civil war and then to rise like a Phoenix from the ashes, with literacy near 100% up from 15% or so, and now with increased standards of living for most people. No capitalist regime has come near achieving what China has.....the world's largest democracy, India, shows the difference where 25% of the population live in relative comfort and the rest in dire poverty. Have the CCP made mistakes? Sure, hasn't the west also made mistakes? Isn't the CCP corrupt? Sure but then so are leading parties in Western style democracy. 

Would I send my kid to school in China? No. Would I send my kid to a prop school in the UK...equally no. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

I have a slightly different experience teaching classes with Chinese students in Thailand. Some of the Chinese students very quickly become quite proficient Thai speakers because many of the Thai students won't/can't speak English with them and even fewer speak any Chinese. I'd say you'd need to look at things like social background and basic education of the students to compare them. Just saying 'Thai students' vs 'Chinese students' doesn't really tell you anything. 

29 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

No.  Their entire thinking and culture disgust me.

Couldn't agree more, I just watched a YouTube vid, "Police called To Stop Filming" that was live streamed, from a London station free piano, by Brendon Kavanagh, A group of Chinese "film makers" ordered him to stop filming them, Its a public place and anybody can film in a public place/space in England, at one point their 'body guard' gets very aggressive, and the woman says to the Chinese man, 5 times, from 13.32 to 13.38 mins ''Don't shoot him, don't shoot him, don't shoot him........don't shoot him, don't shoot him. I'd like to get some members thoughts on that. 

11 minutes ago, retarius said:

What the CCP{ have achieved is remarkable

You are RIGHT!

It was truly remarkable when the CCP starved to death 50 million of their own people.

image.png.64355be584963a13b41ca16ba6ce6d1b.png

But, to me, you sound a bit like Edgar Snow....

image.png.eab831121d092a1d444f4a628854913b.png

Edited by GammaGlobulin

59 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Xi must go.

Xi is a thousand times worse than Trump, although...they are birds of a feather in terms of personality.

More and more Chinese think like that (if you believe YouTube reports), but it, probably, won't happen anytime soon.

I remember watching on TV that courageous man standing in front of tanks near Tiananmen Square in 1989. (I'm convinced, if 2 or 3 million Chinese acted like that man back then, the CCP's days would be numbered...)

Sadly, Chinese in 2024 don't seem to have such courage, so the world will probably have to wait till this maniac starts a war, and is consequently disposed of by his comrades due to the high losses... I'm not worried about Trump, although he's been giving Western democracy a bad name in the world. We live in interesting times...

59 minutes ago, retarius said:

I think people should keep their noses out of (...) sovereign countries.

Holocaust, organ harvesting, re-education camps and forced labour, so what? If everyone had 'kept their noses out of' Kampuchea's affairs, it would probably be depopulated today, but, thankfully, Vietnam intervened...

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They had more personal freedom than the UK or the USA as far as I could tell.

Your opinions are all formed by western anti Chinese propaganda!

Agree 100%

Mind boggling people can't seem to think for themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

My daughter is half Chinese, and I made the decision before she was born that she would NOT attend school of any kind in China.

Daily social & morality philosophy lessons (i.e state brainwashing) and the relentless schedule and homework expectations are no way to be a child.

For all the long hours and constant learning, I have to say that most of the adult Chinese people I have interviewed for positions are quite hopeless. They know how to do alot of things very well, but they often don't know how to put that knowledge into practice in the real world, and cannot deal with unexpected consequences or things that were not part of the original requirements.

Our company (Chinese company) deals with alot of bespoke client requests and it is simply mind blowing how often the simplest basic requirements are not done, with scrappage or contractual penalties, just because the staff think they know what they are doing and will not listen to the client (or me).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Xi is a thousand times worse than Trump,

Is there some sort of unofficial competition ongoing on this forum.  For which points are awarded to members who manage to mention Donald Trump in any thread at all?

Or is it just "virtue signalling gone mad"   It seem that not one thread this week has managed to escape without some obscure reference to the former and possibly future president of the USA,  

49 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When I went to China for a couple of weeks absolutely nothing was as the western media portrayed it

Very little, in reality, bears any resemblance at all to what is portrayed by western mainstream media,  Yet most people accept what they are told without hesitation.  Most of the western media all seem to be singing from pretty much  the same hymn sheet, so just who is it who decides what we are, and are not,told ? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I remember watching on TV that courageous man standing in front of tanks near Tiananmen Square in 1989.

I remember being in Taipei at the time, and listening to the events unfold on the radio.

20 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Is there some sort of unofficial competition ongoing on this forum.  For which points are awarded to members who manage to mention Donald Trump in any thread at all?

Or is it just "virtue signalling gone mad"   It seem that not one thread this week has managed to escape without some obscure reference to the former and possibly future president of the USA,  

Trump, the narcissist that he is, loves to be mentioned.

We are just humoring him, I think.

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Very little, in reality, bears any resemblance at all to what is portrayed by western mainstream media,  Yet most people accept what they are told without hesitation.  Most of the western media all seem to be singing from pretty much  the same hymn sheet, so just who is it who decides what we are, and are not,told ? 

Whose so called "hymn sheet" do you sing along to?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

When I went to China for a couple of weeks absolutely nothing was as the western media portrayed it.

Nobody followed or watched me, I could go where I pleased. Small business flourished. Immigration and visa was easier, and the staff more pleasant and helpful. No police apparent on the streets.

They had more personal freedom than the UK or the USA as far as I could tell.

Your opinions are all formed by western anti Chinese propaganda!

Not my opinions.

While in China, and while in Taiwan, I seldom, very seldom, watched or read western media.

I know what I know from living in China, for many years.

Also, YES, you are absolutely correct that the Chinese gov gives great personal freedom to people in areas that do not matter.

I could write a book about this, and have started two....

But, here is not the proper forum to delve into this topic in greater depth and detail.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1