Pink Id card for foreigners

13 hours ago, Enquiry123 said:

Thank you all for the conversations. 

Bangkok Bank credit card application requires Pink ID Card. 

Is this a new requirement ?

in 2020 my work permit and 6 months of payslips was accepted.

Similar to others, my Thai wife helped me get my Yellow House Book and Pink ID Card. Lots of forms, several trips to local office, gift to village elder.. So far I used it once, for a substantial discount to visit the Phuket Central Aquarium. But it looks cool, and maybe it could help in some situations, like "I'm really local, not just another stupid farang tourist". Next I want to get my drivers licenses...

15 hours ago, Hokeus said:

I did not intend to suggest that the clause on the back of the pink card will limit a pink card holder's movements within Thailand of someone who has a passport and who isn't a migrant worker.

However, I was told directly by DLT that if you want to use a pink card for address verification (as opposed to obtaining a letter of residence address verification from the Thai immigration department) that the pink card will be accepted as such but that the DL issued would only permit driving of a vehicle in the province in which the DL was issued. I'm only repeating what I was told directly by the DLT back in 2020. If this is really not the law then that would be good 

Good new,s for you.You fell for a total load of bull<deleted>

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did mine in Roi Et years ago and was a piece of cake.

I obtained the house yellow book shortly after retiring here 15 years ago and the ID afterwards.

Things were simpler back then as was getting a DL.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

My wife did my pink ID Card, I just tagged along acting like an ornament, the village headman acted as a witness. The man from the district office came out to go through some paperwork at our house on one occasion (a few baht changed hands) and finally down to the district office for finger printing and for the photo taken. 

Had it about 4 years now, don't think I have ever used it, infact it's just like a bidet, nobody knows what it is used for, but it looks very impressive anyway. 🥴

The problem was when they first came out nobody knew what they were.I went to change some money but the bank accepted my drivers licence but not my pink card. Now  I find it useful wherever ID is required .

30 minutes ago, bascat said:

I got mine from Hua Hin about 15 years ago after obtaining the yellow tabian baan.  I find it a very useful document and use it often as ID for example when checking into a hotel.  No need to carry passport around within Thailand. Only place that did not accept and insisted on pp was BTS counter in Bkk when I purchased a Rabbit card.  TIT.  I can definitely recommend the pink card.  Very useful and added benefit is that it does not expire. 

It does not expire if you got it at a certain age can't remember I think it is 60

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, flexomike said:

It does not expire if you got it at a certain age can't remember I think it is 60

Yup, over 60 you get a "for life" card, same as the Thai ID card.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was sick of getting ripped off by the British Embassy 2000 baht (or however much it was) each time I needed an Affirmation of Address.

Did you try to get it from your Amphoe? It is free, and it takes about ten minutes to get it. And no bribe like at the Immigration. And it saved me a roundtrip of 180 km for the last extension of driving license.

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Which province.

Some will not accept pink ID card for TDL.

Insist upon COR

Trat city, but that depends on who serves you, or the other one (yes we have two) just outside at Kaosaming about 25klm last time I went there, we rang before to check and Pink ID was ok.

So I will use that one again.

I must admit registering a car in Trat was a pain one lady said ok come back Fri for new plates, I went on Monday and the woman there refused, my wife even got our local Amphur on the phone to her, no she insisted on the CoR so off I went to immigration who also rang her, she would not back down, Immigration gave me a CoR in 10min. as it was getting close to LTO closing and of course realizing we live on Koh Chang they helped me.

When I got back the other lady was there and said "why you not come Friday" 🙄🙄🙄

Edited by brianthainess

47 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

The problem was when they first came out nobody knew what they were.I went to change some money but the bank accepted my drivers licence but not my pink card. Now  I find it useful wherever ID is required .

Legally, you can not do bank transactions with a pink card. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Did you try to get it from your Amphoe? It is free, and it takes about ten minutes to get it. And no bribe like at the Immigration. And it saved me a roundtrip of 180 km for the last extension of driving license.

That's about the only use of a pink card, once every 5 years, saves you getting a residence cert. However, some places, for example khon Kaen don't accept it. 

• Agree 1

I got it from JJ district office. 
Easy (just showed up).

Quick (30min).

Cheap (60 Baht).

Passport, yellow tabian baan, marriage certificate, and something the wife had to sign in the office. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It gives you a false feeling of belonging when in fact Thais laugh at farang with a pink migrant card. 

There's also the danger you could be more likely to have to pay tax on funds you take into Thailand. Don't get one. 

This may be the situation for you, not for others.

22 hours ago, Enquiry123 said:

Have people applied ? Is it a hassle ?Do I need to have a Thai friend to certify the application ?

It's hassle-free as everything in Thailand. A proof of residence would be an advantage. 🙏

1 hour ago, bascat said:

I got mine from Hua Hin about 15 years ago after obtaining the yellow tabian baan.  I find it a very useful document and use it often as ID for example when checking into a hotel.  No need to carry passport around within Thailand. Only place that did not accept and insisted on pp was BTS counter in Bkk when I purchased a Rabbit card.  TIT.  I can definitely recommend the pink card.  Very useful and added benefit is that it does not expire. 

Very good card for overstayers with expired visas.

• Confused 1

In my case it was pretty easy as I own a property it took all of 30 minutes and yes I took a Thai friend with me that was 8 years ago cost 200 baht I use it for internal flights checking into hotels purchasing vehicles I even get discount from my dentist so it’s worth having due to my age I don’t have to renew  it Happy Days !

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

The so called "Pink Card" should be cancelled in Thailand.

This is mostly benefitting foreign criminals and fugitives who find a safe heaven in Thailand.

Accepted at the pearly gates then?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

once every 5 years yippee, i heard that Pattaya transport office don't accept it, residence cert required

What is the point of selecting a single office in Pattaya for your argument other than characterizing yourself?

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Hokeus said:

Note that item #3 of the standard terms on the back of pink cards state that the cardholder is not permitted to leave the area. What it says exactly is this:

๓. ห้ามผู้มีชื่อในบัตรออกนอกพื้นที่ออกบัตร เว้นแต่ผู้ซึ่งมีใบสำคัญประจำตัวคนต่างด้าวหรือ ผู้ที่ได้รับอนุญาตเป็นลายลักษณ์อักษร

The reason for this is because the majority of pink card holders are migrant workers from neighboring countries who aren't permitted to travel outside of the district that they reside in Thailand without having permission. 

The impact of this, for example, is if you intend to use the pink card for proof of residence address when applying for a driving license in Thailand is that they will only be able to issue you a driving license that only allows you to drive within the province where the driving license is issued. 

In general, the pink card has fairly limited use and value and in many cases isn't worth the effort if you don't have a yellow book already and/or if the district office will make it difficult for you to meet their guidelines to get one. 

I use it in Bangkok although I live some 800 kilometres away I use it when I fly internally or when I stay in hotels . I purchased a vehicle for over 1 million baht no questions asked  using my pink card !

26 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Very good card for overstayers with expired visas.

Yes I’ve used it at my local police station no questions asked and although I had my passport in my pocket they were happy with my pink card although I’m sure if they wanted to check with the IO they could as it’s more or less next door 

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Father and mother of who ??? - thats irrelevant to getting a Yellow House Book.

Sure you were give the correct list of required documents ? and if one isn't applicable to you, ignore it and try anyway. 

It seems you gave up before you left the gate.... But as you also point out, you really do not consider the Yellow House Book to be of any benefit to you whatsoever - if I felt the same I wouldn't have bothered with it either. 

The Yellow House Book has a field for name of the parents. Hence the requirement, which implies a fresh Birth Certificate (although one was only born once, a birth certificate from 3 years ago is not acceptable), legalised, translated, and the translation legalised etc.

Indeed a lot of hoops, but that's the only way.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, petedk said:

I think we are talking about two different things. My employer and I have been paying to the Thai Social Security for 20 years. Now I have retired I want to continue paying myself to obtain the free medical treatment. I have 2 months in which to do it or I lose my right to Thai social security.

I did the exact same thing. Upon leaving employment in Thailand, I elected to stay under the Thai SSO, which is a simple thing to do ... if one has a Pink ID. Like many others, I had previously considered getting one, but the requirements for a Yellow Tabien Ban looked very onerous. 

In the end, I did it though, which had me appoint an attorney in my country of origin to perform the legwork, and then myself going to MFA etc. Good thing there was a 6-months window, because I made it with less than 2 weeks to spare.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

The Yellow House Book has a field for name of the parents. Hence the requirement, which implies a fresh Birth Certificate (although one was only born once, a birth certificate from 3 years ago is not acceptable), legalised, translated, and the translation legalised etc.

Indeed a lot of hoops, but that's the only way.

When I did mine they asked for parents names but not any evidence of their names. I didn't provide any legalised/translated documents, only a copy of passport and photo.

Only thing unusal was I had to wait 6 weeks to get the yellow book, said a police background check required.

• Thanks 1