Pink Id card for foreigners

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Life Changing ?? - no of course not, such a statement is only made with a degree of sarcasm by people such as yourself who seem to project that others place a greater degree of importance on the pink ID than you'd agree with - its called Gaslighting !

Easily gaslit? The pink id is not necessary or needed, therefore worthless. It’s just a souvenir novelty feel good item, not that there’s anything wrong with that. 

• Confused 7
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, grain said:

I went with my TGF to our local amphur a few months ago, was told to go get legally married then come back and ask again. So I've given up on ever having one.

And without stating which Amphur you were unlucky at, how does the OP benefit from your experience?

7 minutes ago, Enquiry123 said:

Thank you all for the conversations. 

Bangkok Bank credit card application requires Pink ID Card. 

Thats interesting (would a letter of address not also work in this situation ?)...

In the interests of accuracy - I've not seen such a requirement before.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Life is great without them, i recommend no one waste their time trying to get them, life's too short.

That's not an invite for someone to bang on to the contrary 

Channeling Britain's legendary Christmas pantomime tradition.

"Oh yes it is!"

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

They gave me a yellow book and a pink card and I didn't even ask. "Please sit here for a photo"

To be honest I think they should do this with all foreigners who actually live ere more than 3 months. 

They could then integrate the pink card ID number into their stupid IT payment systems, so that foreigners are not always barred from using some applications and payment gateways.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, petedk said:

To be honest I think they should do this with all foreigners who actually live ere more than 3 months. 

They could then integrate the pink card ID number into their stupid IT payment systems, so that foreigners are not always barred from using some applications and payment gateways.

Exactly....  like a 'residency card' or something..   Tie it to a Passport / Visa and combine it with E-gates on entry and exit etc... 

Lots of potential....  

• Thanks 2

No point to go through all the loops to apply for one. Had it for donkeys years already but it is NEVER accepted as an individual document. The banks would not accept it as an id, anything to do with the government, you need your passport, driving license, house registration, etc. The only pro is that it is cheap tp acquire one.

45 minutes ago, petedk said:

See my comment. I need a pink ID card to continue my social security. Thailand is changing and the pink ID card is used as proof of residency more and more

I’m a US citizen collecting SSI, never been asked for the pink id. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, petedk said:

I thought the same as you until I tried to continue my social security payments after my reirement.  "Sorry, you need the pink ID card and yellow book."

I have applied 3 times over the past 5 or 6 years, but have beenn "rejected" each imes as "they were too busy."

I am in the process of applying now. I need marriage certificate, certified translation of my passport, blue house book ( the house is in my wife's name). Anything else? I will find out tomorrow when I go to the district office for the third time in 2 months.

Which Amphur ?...  Someone has likely gone through the process already there (you'll also need a Witness, maybe two).

The process itself at the Amphur is somewhat arduous for the Amphur officer which is why in many cases they don't like doing it is perhaps the reason they make up an excuse as to why it cannot be done.

When we (I) applied my Wife went along (as I was away at work) found out exactly what documents were required and was told that she'd need to book and appointment - They needed a copy of my Visa (for some reason) to book the appointment, my Wife was then told that my Visa 'didn't exist' so they couldn't make and appointment (they didn't recognise a Thai Elite Visa)... Heels dug in a one supervisor later an appointment was made.... 

After getting a Copy of the Passport Verified (at Consulate), then going to MFA building, getting the copy translated into Thai, then submitting that for MFA verification (which took a morning) we received document in the post 3 days later.

The day of Amphur submission took 2 hours - the poor Amphur officer worked solidly filling out various forms etc...  that took a further two hours (theoretically, I needed two witnesses - just the Mother In Law sufficed, but if they asked for another we had another friend who could come).

As soon as the Yellow Book was issued, there was a further 5 min wait at another counter to get the pink ID done (which cost 40 baht I think). 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, petedk said:

have applied 3 times over the past 5 or 6 years, but have beenn "rejected" each imes as "they were too busy."

I am in the process of applying now. I need marriage certificate, certified translation of my passport, blue house book ( the house is in my wife's name). Anything else? I will find out tomorrow when I go to the district office for the third time in 2 months.

If it's that important for you use an agent, some offices (Pattaya) make it difficult for farang, amongst other things they want you to drag 2 thai people up there who are on a blue book, they will always have better things to do

3 minutes ago, HonkieH said:

No point to go through all the loops to apply for one. Had it for donkeys years already but it is NEVER accepted as an individual document. The banks would not accept it as an id, anything to do with the government, you need your passport, driving license, house registration, etc. The only pro is that it is cheap tp acquire one.

At least you have one and are providing your experience rather than projecting an opinion (as others are doing). 

Discussing Pink ID specifically, its not of much use, but the ease with which it is obtained (after getting the Yellow House book) makes it worth while, just incase. 

In my case:

I opened a Bank Account with my Yellow House Book as proof of ID, thus whenever I need to do something at the bank (which isn't very often), I have my ID in my wallet already, I don't need to bring my Passport or plan in advance etc.

I've also used it for domestic travel (when passport was at an Embassy), I'm not sure I'd have been able to travel otherwise, or if they'd accept a Thai Driving licence, some have said airlines will accept a Thai Driving licence, but years ago I tried and they wouldn't.

I was at a Shopping mall when I saw the e-SIM option, so I decided to 'give it a go'...  they wanted ID and accepted the Pink ID, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to make the switch without my Passport.

Of course, non of the examples above show that the Pink ID itself is essential or needed... but, it did provide an element of convenience that makes the additional 10 mins and 40 baht somewhat of a no-brainer in my opinion. 

The bigger question is whether an individual considers securing the Yellow House Book worth the leg work and hassle, from personal perspective it was, for others it may not be. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, petedk said:

I thought the same as you until I tried to continue my social security payments after my reirement.  "Sorry, you need the pink ID card and yellow book."

Good grief never heard of such a thing…someone got to be pulling your leg, a pink id is not needed to collect SSI, at least for a US citizen.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why do you want a pink ID card? really don't need one

You can only speak for yourself. I specifically needed to get my Pink ID card to renew my Thai Driving Lic. Yes, there are other ways to get the DL, but getting the Pink ID card was by far the simplest way for me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, HonkieH said:

but it is NEVER accepted as an individual document.

Police were happy to enter my number into their breathalyzer machine as it didn't have any alphanumeric buttons to input my passport number.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If it's that important for you use an agent, some offices (Pattaya) make it difficult for farang, amongst other things they want you to drag 2 thai people up there who are on a blue book, they will always have better things to do

Two witnesses need to be Thai, they don't need to have a blue book, they just need a Thai ID card. 

Of course, its easier for an applicant if the 'Blue Book Holder' (of the address) is also present as that eases the process otherwise further forms are required...

Additionally, if every Thai an applicant knows 'has something better to do' than helping a friend or family member, then that may speak as the attitudes and relationships that 'foreigner' has in the first place (thats a different discussion of course)... 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Digitalbanana said:

You can only speak for yourself. I specifically needed to get my Pink ID card to renew my Thai Driving Lic. Yes, there are other ways to get the DL, but getting the Pink ID card was by far the simplest way for me.

Same for me... 

- Travel too regularly, so I don't do a 90 day report... (can't get a letter of Address from Immigration in Bangkok)

- So have to go to Consulate anyway (either for Affirmation of address or get a Verified Copy of Passport)

May as well do the 'extra steps' and get the Yellow Book...  Since then I've had 4 licences... (each saving time at the Consulate as I don't need to get the Affirmation of Address and save the cost of that)... 

This was the primary reason I got the Yellow Book... Since then it has proven useful... 

Just one example: I was able to get a Covid Vaccine very quickly in Thailand while so many other's on this forum were complaining that foreigners weren't being vaccinated in Thailand (early days of vaccinations in Thailand).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Enquiry123 said:

Thank you all for the conversations. 

Bangkok Bank credit card application requires Pink ID Card. 

ID number from the tax card will do, very easy to get

17 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

once every 5 years yippee, i heard that Pattaya transport office don't accept it, residence cert required

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1