Pink Id card for foreigners

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Two witnesses need to be Thai, they don't need to have a blue book, they just need a Thai ID card. 

Of course, its easier for an applicant if the 'Blue Book Holder' (of the address) is also present as that eases the process otherwise further forms are required...

Additionally, if every Thai an applicant knows 'has something better to do' than helping a friend or family member, then that may speak as the attitudes and relationships that 'foreigner' has in the first place (thats a different discussion of course)... 

Not according to my office 

Screenshot_2024-01-22-17-45-43-756_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

once every 5 years yippee, i heard that Pattaya transport office don't accept it, residence cert required

I too have heard that DLT at Pattaya do not accept the Yellow House Book as proof of address.

I've never understood why, its an official proof of address.

IF I lived in Pattaya and wanted to renew my driving licence, I'd want a reasonable explanation why other than 'cannot'... (I know, I wouldn't get it, but still... )... 

As far as the 5 years thing, not quite.. 

I let my DL expire for longer than 1 year...  had to start again... 2 year Temp, then 5 year, then another 5 year. 

+ 2 year Motorcycle licence applied for at a different time, then 5 year...

Then there is registering my vehicles (two cars and two motorcycles in that time)

As you mentioned (sarcastically), Yippee... thats only 9 situations where its proven more convenient for 'me' in about 9 years or so)..  

(again to repeat - I travel too much and never do a 90 day report - so I'd can't get a Letter of Residence from Immigration (at 500 baht each), instead I'd have to get an Affirmation of Address fro my consulate at about 2000 baht each time)...

Not worth the hassle to get the Yellow Book ?...  From a personal Perspective I'd disagree from those 9 situations alone - whats the time and money saving there alone ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not according to my office 

Screenshot_2024-01-22-17-45-43-756_com.google.android.apps.photos~2.jpg

Fair enough....   What did you 'do' when you applied ???... 

When I applied (Amphur in Bangkok), my MiL went (with her thai ID card of course), but no House Book. 

My Wife, also present, with her house Book... maybe they considered her one of the Witnesses and her Blue Book as sufficient. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fair enough....   What did you 'do' when you applied ???... 

When I applied (Amphur in Bangkok), my MiL went (with her thai ID card of course), but no House Book. 

My Wife, also present, with her house Book... maybe they considered her one of the Witnesses and her Blue Book as sufficient. 

I didn't apply i just got the ridiculous list of requirements, I didn't bother pursuing further, life's too short

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I didn't apply i just got the ridiculous list of requirements, I didn't bother pursuing further, life's too short

I kind of agree that the 'list of requirements' is somewhat ridiculous.... especially the Consular officer Notarised Verification of your Passport, and MFA verified translation...  But I also partially 'get that'... as it involves the 'translation' of your name into Thai which is then permanent. 

The contradiction exists that no such verified transition is required for a Marriage Certificate......    and ultimately the two need to match.

Thus: Surely the 'name' on the Marriage Certificate and Kor-ror documentation is already sufficient - hence, what we all agree on is 'unnecessary hoop jumping'....  But, thats bureaucracy all over the world. 

The only real debate I see here is whether the 'hoop jumping' is worth the benefits / convenience of having a Yellow Book (and Pink ID).

Those who argue there is no benefit are perhaps reacting emotionally with the annoyance at the required hoop jumping. 

I wonder if the obtaining of such a documents involved no hoop jumping at all they'd change their tune and state that the documentation does have some advantages and added convenience. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, novacova said:

I’m a US citizen collecting SSI, never been asked for the pink id. 

It's a new requirement.

My friend retired 2 years ago and din't need it.

I retired 4 months ago and it was the first thing they asked for. I have 2 months to get one or I lose the social security.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Here we go again. How many times has this PinkID/Yellow book topic been discussed?

• Not easy to do anywhere. 
  • Some district offices will do it, some won't.
  • Some offices require marriage and/or property (condo) ownership, some don't.
  • Just go to your local office and ask what they require. 

Please post back here and let us know what they told you.

Ps. I did mine in Phaya Thai, Bangkok. They didn't really want to do it. Gave me the run around regarding paperwork etc. Took 3 visits over 2 months. You will almost certainly need a Thai speaker to assist you, Thai witnesses for signatures, a one year visa/extension of stay, certified copies of passport and birth certificate.

I used my lawyer. Can't remember how much it cost. I was also applying for a Blue book, (I don't know why, as I'm not Thai), and a Yellow book. The whole process took about 2-3hrs, and I had to sign about 20-30 pages of what, I know not. My amphur is Thungmahamek, (Bangkok).

I could not have done either on my own, (B&Y books & ID).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I have used mine to register a car, and book into hotels, hope to use it again on renewing DL, no CoR needed.

Which province.

Some will not accept pink ID card for TDL.

Insist upon COR

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hokeus said:

The certified translation of your passport is a standard requirement for obtaining the yellow book and will need to be done by a Thai government office. If you're in Bangkok I think that it can be done at one of the government offices in the complex out in CW. Fee is around 1,000 Baht I recall, plus a small extra processing fee if you want to have it done for you while you wait. 

Birth certificate don't know about. Never heard of that as a requirement for anything in Thailand. Passport already certifies your date and place of birth. 

" Passport already certifies your date and place of birth. ' I agree entirely, but it often seems that Thai government officers like to have proof of proof. 

You can't marry without an affidavit with freedom to marry, yet when you apply for a visa they need your original marriage certificate and the affadavit.

When I renewed my driving license I had to shoow my passport to get in and start the process and again at every stage. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I kind of agree that the 'list of requirements' is somewhat ridiculous.... especially the Consular officer Notarised Verification of your Passport, and MFA verified translation...  But I also partially 'get that'... as it involves the 'translation' of your name into Thai which is then permanent. 

The contradiction exists that no such verified transition is required for a Marriage Certificate......    and ultimately the two need to match.

Thus: Surely the 'name' on the Marriage Certificate and Kor-ror documentation is already sufficient - hence, what we all agree on is 'unnecessary hoop jumping'....  But, thats bureaucracy all over the world. 

The only real debate I see here is whether the 'hoop jumping' is worth the benefits / convenience of having a Yellow Book (and Pink ID).

Those who argue there is no benefit are perhaps reacting emotionally with the annoyance at the required hoop jumping. 

I wonder if the obtaining of such a documents involved no hoop jumping at all they'd change their tune and state that the documentation does have some advantages and added convenience. 

This was the real kicker ridiculous requirement and my last post on the subject 

Screenshot_2024-01-22-18-44-16-200_com.google.android.apps.photos~3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

If it's that important for you use an agent, some offices (Pattaya) make it difficult for farang, amongst other things they want you to drag 2 thai people up there who are on a blue book, they will always have better things to do

My wife accompanied me. We are legfally married and she is the legal owner of the house. We were simply turned away before we even started the process. They were "too busy at the moment."

I went about a month ago to confirm the documents needed and I didn't have an original translation of the certied passport. I used the original at the same office to get married. They would not accept a copy. Another 6 week wait for an appointment at the embassy.

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

This was the real kicker ridiculous requirement and my last post on the subject 

Screenshot_2024-01-22-18-44-16-200_com.google.android.apps.photos~3.jpg

Father and mother of who ??? - thats irrelevant to getting a Yellow House Book.

Sure you were give the correct list of required documents ? and if one isn't applicable to you, ignore it and try anyway. 

It seems you gave up before you left the gate.... But as you also point out, you really do not consider the Yellow House Book to be of any benefit to you whatsoever - if I felt the same I wouldn't have bothered with it either. 

2 minutes ago, petedk said:

We were simply turned away before we even started the process. They were "too busy at the moment."

Translation....  "Its a PITA for us (amphur officers) to deal with, so instead of doing our jobs we'll BS you in the hope you'll give up" !!!!.... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, novacova said:

Good grief never heard of such a thing…someone got to be pulling your leg, a pink id is not needed to collect SSI, at least for a US citizen.  

I think we are talking about two different things. My employer and I have been paying to the Thai Social Security for 20 years. Now I have retired I want to continue paying myself to obtain the free medical treatment. I have 2 months in which to do it or I lose my right to Thai social security.

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah ^^^. 

It ranges between "piece of cake", through "absolute nightmare", to "totally impossible".

Best bet is to trot over to your local ampur office, you will need a Thai speaker, to find out exactly what they need.

Yep.  It was "Easy-Breezy" at my local Amphur office.  Yellow book too. 

Edited by connda

3 minutes ago, petedk said:

My wife accompanied me. We are legfally married and she is the legal owner of the house. We were simply turned away before we even started the process. They were "too busy at the moment."

I went about a month ago to confirm the documents needed and I didn't have an original translation of the certied passport. I used the original at the same office to get married. They would not accept a copy. Another 6 week wait for an appointment at the embassy.

Will you need to make an appointment at the Amphur Office ???...  

We did, but I suspect that was more a mean to get us to give up (as mentioned above)...  The reality for me was different as I was overseas, so booking an appointment at a later date suited me perfectly.

The Consular booking delays can also be a PITA - IMO thats more reason to get the Yellow Book so we don't have to book Consular Appointments each time we need Proof of Address  (for those of us who can't get one from immigration).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petedk said:

I thought the same as you until I tried to continue my social security payments after my reirement.  "Sorry, you need the pink ID card and yellow book."

I have applied 3 times over the past 5 or 6 years, but have beenn "rejected" each imes as "they were too busy."

I am in the process of applying now. I need marriage certificate, certified translation of my passport, blue house book ( the house is in my wife's name). Anything else? I will find out tomorrow when I go to the district office for the third time in 2 months.

The district office WHERE?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

it being the Pink ID specifically... 

It is accepted as an individual document.... 

- When checking in for a domestic flight (passport not available)

- When checking in at a hotel

- When using it for ID at a bank

- Switching SIM (to eSIM).

- Getting Thai Price at some places that use Dual Pricing (but not national parks)

*Others will argue that a Thai DL can be used for the same purposes but I've had mixed experiences with that - and of course, experience varies from person to person and various locations etc.

Incidentally, I read today that from January 2024 all foreigners on domestic flights MUST now show passports and not other forms of ID. Worth checking up!

2 minutes ago, petedk said:

Incidentally, I read today that from January 2024 all foreigners on domestic flights MUST now show passports and not other forms of ID. Worth checking up!

Pink ID cards or as the authorities clumsily label them, "non-Thai ID cards", along with the Thai DL, are still on the approved list of acceptable alternative forms of personal ID fopr domestic air travel.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The district office WHERE?

Can I answer that question when I have the yellow house book and pink ID card.

It's in Bangkok and notorious for being difficult to deal with. We gave up trying to get married here and went to another district.

We tried for 18 months to get planning permission to build our house, but they always found little details that needed to be changed. In the end our architect suggeted that we paid the "district architect" 100K to complete the design. A few days later we received planning permission.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Pink ID cards or as the authorities clumsily label them, "non-Thai ID cards", along with the Thai DL, are still on the approved list of acceptable alternative forms of personal ID fopr domestic air travel.

Not from January 16th

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Travel-Leisure/Thailand-starts-checking-foreigners-passports-on-domestic-flights

Edit: yes here it says Thai drivinbg license. In another article I read they stressed passport because of the need to check overstays

Edited by petedk

3 hours ago, Enquiry123 said:

Thank you all for the conversations. 

Bangkok Bank credit card application requires Pink ID Card. 

That is definitely not correct information. That would require every foreigner in Thailand to also have a yellow book to apply for a Bangkok Bank credit card, which is definitely not the case. 

AFAIR, Bangkok Bank will allow any foreigner (on a long term visa) to obtain a BBL secured credit card as long as they lock up a sum of money equal to the credit card's credit limit into a locked bank account at Bangkok Bank. I think the minimum sum is ฿10,000. 

KTC (Krung Thai Card) offers the same option to foreigners. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

These pink IDs and yellow books seem to be life changing for some people

Sour grapes because life-threatening for you, even willing to pay annual property tax to avoid getting one.

8 minutes ago, petedk said:

I think we are talking about two different things. My employer and I have been paying to the Thai Social Security for 20 years. Now I have retired I want to continue paying myself to obtain the free medical treatment. I have 2 months in which to do it or I lose my right to Thai social security.

👍okay gotcha, valid reason. Personally the yellow book is enough for most things, never considered a pink id and don’t see the need for it. Being an inherent business person, don’t mind a little bureaucracy, I kind of thrive on it…IO, DLT, PEA none of which is a hassle or phases me one bit. 
As for the OP, a pink id for opening a bank account is not required, take the business elsewhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, novacova said:

The pink id is not necessary or needed, therefore worthless.

True, a few members only do what's absolutely necessary, just eat, sleep, and defecate. And nobody cares whether that's all for you.

No one ever said a pink ID is necessary: that's THE typical straw man argument. However, I find mine convenient to use at times. Going thru the process of getting it didn't bother me. I made it enjoyable. :)

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, petedk said:

Good info Thanks...  Whenever travelling I usually carry my passport with my anyway (just incase its needed or I need to travel elsewhere etc), even when driving somewhere (such as Hua Hin, Khao Yai, Koh Chang etc)...   

... Its just on one occasion I couldn't because my passport was at an Embassy over night for a Visa Application.

Recently I travelled domestically and used my Pink ID as for no other reason than it was easier to access in my wallet than getting the passport out of the pocket in my hand-carry (not really any additional convenience at all there, but still...)...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HonkieH said:

The banks would not accept it as an id

My bank accepts it for over-the-counter withdrawals, with my bank book.

2 hours ago, HonkieH said:

anything to do with the government

Post Office accepts it, government hospitals accept it, DLT accepts yellow book, police accept it, SSO accepts it, tax office accepts yellow book. Good 'nuff.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I like mine and whip it out wherever it's accepted. Used it recently for hotel registration and for a hospital visit. Saves me from having to pay property tax. With yellow book, didn't need a Residence Certificate to renew my DL. Etc. 

out of all that, it would only be useful at the DLT which is a rare occurrence. Wife books the rooms in her name, no one ever bothers asking for my pp. Hospital never asked for my pp, license is good enough. I go to the bank once a year…etc.

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No one ever said a pink ID is necessary:

You failed to read the OP stated that the bank required a pink id.

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

THE typical straw man argument.

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

True, a few members only do what's absolutely necessary, just eat, sleep, and defecate. And nobody cares whether that's all for you.

Thanks for speaking for yourself, the pink id is really nothing to have an ego flair, silly.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, novacova said:

👍okay gotcha, valid reason. Personally the yellow book is enough for most things, never considered a pink id and don’t see the need for it. Being an inherent business person, don’t mind a little bureaucracy, I kind of thrive on it…IO, DLT, PEA none of which is a hassle or phases me one bit. 
As for the OP, a pink id for opening a bank account is not required, take the business elsewhere.

Pink ID takes an additional 10mins after getting the Yellow Book - its hardly a major effort to obtain (its the Yellow Books which is a PITA).

As far as Bank Accounts go...  I used my Yellow House Book to open my Bank Accounts with both Bangkok Bank (2 years ago) and Kasikorn (6 months ago)...   

....the alternative was to book an appointment with the UK Consulate (Embassy), wait for however many weeks for the appointment, then obtain the Affirmation of Address document for about 2000 baht....

... Or, get the Yellow House Book out and use that...   and I didn't 'need to take my business elsewhere, shop around, hedge my bets etc... to find a bank that would accept me because the Yellow Book works perfectly in this situation.