Pink Id card for foreigners

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I never had such a card or the YHB when I registered with SSO. 

I used my tax ID no. 

Yes, when registering with SSO a tax ID is sufficient, but when switching from section 33 to 39 they require proof of permanent residence. Yellow house book or pink ID card.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Why not give up this constant time-wasting sniping? I thought you have plenty to do buzzing around Pattaya on your scooter, but here you are again. If it's so life-threatening, why not just man up and get one yourself?

I'm not interested anymore just to save a few baht, but for you those few baht saved can be spent on your fat and meat diet

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, flexomike said:

100 km round trip to immigration to get a certificate of residence for drivers license, used my yellow book, saved 100 kms, same for opening a new bank account, used my yellow book done, how bored are you that you keep making negative comments on that obviously you really don't know anything about. For your information I am not low on cash.

for many of us it's unnecessary, just accept that

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
4 hours ago, Neeranam said:
5 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

My bank account is linked to my Pink ID card.

You still have to show your passport to do transactions. 

No you don't....  I have accounts with SCB, Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn. 

The Pink ID and Yellow House book were used (registered) upon opening the account (passport too). 

I have been able to make transactions in all three of those account (i.e. withdrawing money, obtaining statement letters) by presenting my Pink ID along with the Bank Book.

Why the penchant for some members to portray their unique bureacratic experiences as somehow empirical and suggest that another member's view based on their individual experience isn't true?

I have a pink ID card issued in Udon Thani. It's the older one that does have the wording on the back that says it's only valid for ID in the province where it was issued.

When I was asked for proof of ID for a counter transaction at the branch of Bangkok Bank in Pattaya where my account was opened several years earlier, and before I obtained the Isaan pink ID card, it was declined. They insisted on either my passport or, if I had a valid one, my Thai driving license.

Now, to inform those who may think that having their pink ID card number on the Thai DL is a good idea and more convenient. One person I know who did this at the DLT in Udon Thani several years ago has the additional annotation in Thai on the back of his Thai DL stating the DL is only valid in Udon Thani province, same as stated on the back of his pink ID card. Another chap who was issued a pink ID card very recently, went for his Thai DL renewal using his pink ID card and his Thai DL does not have the provincial limitation as the other guys.

I sincerely hope this helps.

On 1/22/2024 at 4:25 AM, Enquiry123 said:

Have people applied ? Is it a hassle ?Do I need to have a Thai friend to certify the application ?

It's depending of where you live. Some has reported here – in ASEAN NOW forums – that it's an easy process, for others it has been complicated. In my own case it was almost like applying for permanent residency; apart from not been paying income tax from work in Thailand; I was allowed a translator (my lovely girlfriend) for the interview; and I should not sing the national hymn (the tessa ban-staff shall be happy that I did not sing).

I've had one for seven years now. Mine was easy to get. All I needed at the time (I think) was my passport and my Yellow Book (showing my residency). :smile:

5 hours ago, novacova said:

Yeah that’s right and the experience of 99.9% of the expats here. The poster made a comment about needing a pink id for collecting SSI on an expat forum without stating that it is for Thai SSI. Whether from the US Europe or Antarctica, whatever it is you’re trying to convey is irrelevant. 

It appears anger management is required?

On 1/22/2024 at 12:27 PM, Hokeus said:

You can use it in many situations in Thailand in lieu of your passport where you might be required to show a photo ID. But if you don't have one, and you also don't want to carry your passport at all times, then in some instances a photo of your passport presented on your phone screen will suffice. 

I agree.  I use mine a  lot more than I thought I would.  My Thai partner insisted I get one and he did all the work.  I initially thought it wasn't worth the trouble but I've since changed my mind.  It's come in handy quite a lot, especially when I've needed to show identification and didn't have my passport along.   Sometimes I've gotten a discount getting into places using it and have also used it instead of a passport checking into hotels.  One time I was able to get onto one of the Sattahip military bases when we were doing a boat trip--I think I would have been turned away in that instance with just a passport.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They [the Bank] didn't give me a letter 'to' immigration - the bank gave me a printed Bank Statement with my name and address on it. 

You are trying to pick holes in anything you can to justify your opinion that a Pink ID (and Yellow Book) is not useful - We've done this dance before and you cherry pick inaccurate holes and obfuscate the discussion with irrelevant points.

I agree with you - the Pink ID does not show that we are legally in the country or have a valid visa, but thats not the discussion - the bank doesn't check our immigration status - so I'm not sure why you think that point is even relevant in the context of this discussion.

Our discussion was the use of a Pink ID to obtain a Bank statement, the only point of the Bank Statement is to proof of funds, Immigration are not even bothered about the Statement, what they really want to see is the updated Bank Book (usually updated to that day)... but that again, is an irrelevant point to the usefulness of the Pink ID.

Further obfuscation, either that or you are being deliberately obtuse... IF your Bank are asking for your passport, its because you opened your account with your Passport before you obtained Thai nationality. 

IF you had opened your Thai Bank accounts with your Thai National ID, then you would not be asked for your Passport. 

I am cherry picking nothing. 

You say you got a statement from the bank by just showing your pink ID card. I find this very strange and was refused when I tried it with my pink card at 2 different banks. 

If this was for showing immigration, surely you needed the letter from the bank as well. Maybe as you showed them your passport for the letter you needed to extend your visa, they didn't ask for it when giving the statement.

I assume you did the two things together.

Yes, we have discussed this before but the important question is 'did you get the letter from the bank to show immigration at the same time as you got the statement'?  This question has been avoided. 

I've been asked for my passport and WP after opening bank accounts with my Thai ID. They tell me it is law to see foreigners' passports. They assumed I was a foreigner. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Why the penchant for some members to portray their unique bureacratic experiences as somehow empirical and suggest that another member's view based on their individual experience isn't true?

I have a pink ID card issued in Udon Thani. It's the older one that does have the wording on the back that says it's only valid for ID in the province where it was issued.

When I was asked for proof of ID for a counter transaction at the branch of Bangkok Bank in Pattaya where my account was opened several years earlier, and before I obtained the Isaan pink ID card, it was declined. They insisted on either my passport or, if I had a valid one, my Thai driving license.

Now, to inform those who may think that having their pink ID card number on the Thai DL is a good idea and more convenient. One person I know who did this at the DLT in Udon Thani several years ago has the additional annotation in Thai on the back of his Thai DL stating the DL is only valid in Udon Thani province, same as stated on the back of his pink ID card. Another chap who was issued a pink ID card very recently, went for his Thai DL renewal using his pink ID card and his Thai DL does not have the provincial limitation as the other guys.

I sincerely hope this helps.

I believe the current cards still have the writing on the back saying you can't travel interprovince without consent from the amphur. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I am cherry picking nothing. 

You say you got a statement from the bank by just showing your pink ID card. I find this very strange and was refused when I tried it with my pink card at 2 different banks. 

How did you open your Bank Account ???...  Did you open your account with your Yellow Book and Pink ID, or did you open your Bank Account with your Passport as ID ??... (when countering my statement, you are missing out vital information in yours).

I'll repeat again: I opened my Bank Account using my Yellow House Book, hence the account is linked to my Thailand ID number - thus I have been able to 'deal with the bank' in person using the Pink ID for identification purposes... Simple really.

If this was for showing immigration, surely you needed the letter from the bank as well. Maybe as you showed them your passport for the letter you needed to extend your visa, they didn't ask for it when giving the statement.

I assume you did the two things together.

What letter ??? - No letter from the Bank was required for an extension of stay, just a printed (and stamped) statement and the Bank Book itself.

Yes, we have discussed this before but the important question is 'did you get the letter from the bank to show immigration at the same time as you got the statement'?  This question has been avoided. 

Again, what letter ?... the question has not been avoided, the question is moot , there has bene no requirement for a letter from the bank.

In 2020 at DLT Chaeng Wattana - Extension of stay based on Non-Imm O Marriage - no such requirement for any letter from the Bank. 

I've been asked for my passport and WP after opening bank accounts with my Thai ID. They tell me it is law to see foreigners' passports. They assumed I was a foreigner. 

You mean the same stupid people who saw your Thai ID still assumed you are a foreigner and you are using that as proof that a passport is required for all foreigners in all bank transactions regardless of what ID (Yellow House Book) was used to open it ?...   

..... rather a daft leap wouldn't you agree ?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

i don't think he's bright enough to understand the difference between necessary and convenient

You are clearly not bright enough to summarise your posts, instead it's constant waffling long posts, who even reads them, I don't 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What letter ??? - No letter from the Bank was required for an extension of stay, just a printed (and stamped) statement and the Bank Book itself.

When I got an extension based on marriage, I thought I needed a letter from the Bank that had my passport number on it. If I'm mistaken, apologies. 

Maybe I'm thinking of another letter.