Pink Id card for foreigners

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Again, as you did in other threads on this subject...    You are implying that it would be 'illegal' for any Foreigner holding a Pink ID to travel outside the province of issue without consent...  That is incorrect, below is why....

In such circumstances our  'passports' that ID takes precedence over the Pink ID which as you mention is 'restricted to area' - that doesn't mean 'we are restricted to that area if we hold the Pink ID as we have our passport which supersedes this'....  

... on the back of the card there is a statement "The person named on the card is prohibited from leaving the issuing area except for those who have alien identification..."... (in this context the alien identification is a Passport)...

... This is also somewhat of a no-brainer but you like to repeat this in the 'Yellow Card / Pink ID' threads because for some reason you really object to the Pink ID card.... 

Of course I don't object to the pink card🤣

I thought on the back of the card it says you need written approval by the district office. 

Could you post a photo of it? 

The pink IDs are not really for farang. 

There is a law which states all aliens need an alien certificate but the authorities turn a blind eye as they'd have too much work. 

10 years ago or so, some French lawyer thought he'd demand his 'rights' and told other farang they could get a card. However, the authorities just gave them the card that is meant for migrant workers, which isn't the actual alien certificate. 

The amphur people don't like it as they've got enough work with the migrant labourers and stateless people. This is why they make up rules and add obstacles for farang getting one, as they know farang have passports or work permits which is all they need for daily life here. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

the profundity of your posts rises to this level:

On 1/20/2024 at 11:22 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Apparently Bar 39 sells beer at 39 baht during happy hours, draft

Sad that you actually searched for that on the forum

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/22/2024 at 2:13 PM, Crossy said:

Interesting, could you post a photo of the back of your card please?

The wording is part of the card blank so maybe the government have taken delivery of a fresh batch.

Crossy,

My Pink card has only a few lines on the back. Below that is a number starting with a B with 8 numbers behind it and then my 13 digit ID card number from the front which starts with a 6. It was issued in Udon Thani.  My new one issued ln 2022 to replace the original one issued in 2012 is the same.

My wife who is from Myanmar has a pink ID card which is totally different on the front and back as the back is her work permit.

I have redacted the bottom numbers for obvious reasons.20240123_150847.thumb.jpg.35057bc0e2592aca1cc0947a0f2c4eb8.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@ThailandRyan Yup, that's missing the third section which goes on about not leaving your home district etc.

This is mine: -

image.jpeg.4525f4f304a544bcdb8a8a6aeef667cb.jpeg

One has to wonder why they are different, unless the Amphur in Udon Thani's Nong Saeng district had that removed as it does not really apply in our cases. 

Different provinces and Amphurs with there own sets of rules and regulations as we continually see.

The entire back of my wifes is just her work permit, nothing saying she must get permission to leave the area as it lists her job as a housekeeper/nanny.  Must be because she is allowed to travel with her employer, which ironically is me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LogicThai said:

I did the exact same thing. Upon leaving employment in Thailand, I elected to stay under the Thai SSO, which is a simple thing to do ... if one has a Pink ID. Like many others, I had previously considered getting one, but the requirements for a Yellow Tabien Ban looked very onerous. 

In the end, I did it though, which had me appoint an attorney in my country of origin to perform the legwork, and then myself going to MFA etc. Good thing there was a 6-months window, because I made it with less than 2 weeks to spare.

What on earth? "attorney in my country of origin", "going to MFA", none of those has anything to do with remaining in the social security scheme.

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

Why do most of the people wanting a Thai ID card, so against it in their own country siting big brother etc,etc,etc...

Valid point, but you are mixing up and combining generalisations and assumptions to draw a further generalisation which is flawed....

I'm not sure what 'most people' want...  but I'd agree there are a load of 'loud rights voices' who are against ID cards (in areas such as the UK), however, many would also agree that they are useful and we should have them. 

I personally believe that we should be able to identify ourselves whenever asked to by authorities - While I'm against a police state, the weakening of the police force weakens their ability to protect society from itself. 

Just like Thailand and many other nations: A National ID card / Residency card makes a lot of sense (for me at least).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

What on earth? "attorney in my country of origin", "going to MFA", none of those has anything to do with remaining in the social security scheme.

Well, I needed a Pink ID for SSO, for which I needed a Yellow Tabien Ban from the Amphoe, which needed an original birth certificate, legalized and translated and the translation legalized, from the city hall in my home country, then Ministry of Justice, then Royal Thai Embassy, the whole lot couriered to me in Bangkok. That's what I needed an attorney to do for me. From there, I had the whole lot (and a legalised and translated copy of my passport from my embassy) legalised at MOFA. With that, the Amphoe issued a YTB and a Pink ID, and I went to SSO with the Pink ID to elect to move from Section 33 to 39. Worked like a charm eventually, but it took months.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, I'd always assumed (possibly incorrectly) that it was part of the card blank and a carry-over from those issued to stateless persons / migrant workers.

Maybe I should ask our ampur office if they can issue one without the restriction. That should be a fun exercise.

Good and interesting to see that they have noticed they have been giving the wrong cards to Westerners. 

Good luck at the amphur! 

10 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

Well, I needed a Pink ID for SSO, for which I needed a Yellow Tabien Ban from the Amphoe, which needed an original birth certificate, legalized and translated and the translation legalized, from the city hall in my home country, then Ministry of Justice, then Royal Thai Embassy, the whole lot couriered to me in Bangkok. That's what I needed an attorney to do for me. From there, I had the whole lot (and a legalised and translated copy of my passport from my embassy) legalised at MOFA. With that, the Amphoe issued a YTB and a Pink ID, and I went to SSO with the Pink ID to elect to move from Section 33 to 39. Worked like a charm eventually, but it took months.

Just curious on this...

You needed an Original Birth Certificate (notarised, translated, translation verified by City Hall, MoJ, Thai Embassy)... 

I've never heard of a Birth Certificate as a requirement to obtain the Yellow House Book... usually, its just an MFA verified translation of a Consulate Verification of copy of your Passport.

Any idea why they wanted to much more from you ? (which Amphur).

Why do most of the people wanting a Thai ID card, so against it in their own country siting big brother etc,etc,etc...

Indeed. I think people feel they have successfully integrated into the culture if they have one. I've read about people showing it at places where Thais get discount, which is stupid as it says "NON THAI' on the front. Much better to speak Thai to them or show a WP. 

Edited by Neeranam

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just curious on this...

You needed an Original Birth Certificate (notarised, translated, translation verified by City Hall, MoJ, Thai Embassy)... 

I've never heard of a Birth Certificate as a requirement to obtain the Yellow House Book... usually, its just an MFA verified translation of a Consulate Verification of copy of your Passport.

It is needed for the citizenship process, i.e to get on the blue housebook. The district staff add requirements as it's their way of getting more money when people ask 'is there any way we can fix this issue?'

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed. I think people feel they have successfully integrated into the culture if they have one. I've read about people showing it at places where Thais get discount, which is stupid as it says "NON THAI' on the front. 

But it does often get you a discount.

Safari World for example, got a pink card, get in for Thai price.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

I changed from 33 to 39 in 2017.

Was straight forward,  no pink ID needed.

In 2019 I changed back to 39.

to be fair though in both instances the respective HR depts of each employer did the leg work.

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Crossy,

My Pink card has only a few lines on the back. Below that is a number starting with a B with 8 numbers behind it and then my 13 digit ID card number from the front which starts with a 6. It was issued in Udon Thani.  My new one issued ln 2022 to replace the original one issued in 2012 is the same.

My wife who is from Myanmar has a pink ID card which is totally different on the front and back as the back is her work permit.

I have redacted the bottom numbers for obvious reasons.20240123_150847.thumb.jpg.35057bc0e2592aca1cc0947a0f2c4eb8.jpg

It looks white to me. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed. I think people feel they have successfully integrated into the culture if they have one. I've read about people showing it at places where Thais get discount, which is stupid as it says "NON THAI' on the front. 

You think its stupid to attempt to not be a victim of dual pricing ??

Do you think its also stupid for people to show a copy of their Thai Driving Licence when attempting to avoid dual pricing and get the Thai Price ?

Your comment projecting the attitudes of those who hold a Pink ID, and betrays your dislike of the Pink ID once again surfaces Neeranam...

It seems you have imagined that those who have a Pink ID somehow feel elevated or are of the belief they have a higher 'status' in Thailand than those who don't and this projection 'gets up your nose'....   But its all in your head and you've created a negative bias out of thin air.

I wonder if you have at some point in time met an idiot who was showing off and excessively proud of their Pink ID as if they thought that gave them elevated status and that annoyed you... and you now project that annoyance on to all holders of the Pink ID...   

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

But it does often get you a discount.

Safari World for example, got a pink card, get in for Thai price.

Yeah, I got on a couple of places cheap because of it. It does show you are a resident. Well actually it doesn't. You can get one for life and even if you just come every year for 2 weeks you could use it. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just curious on this...

It is needed for the citizenship process, i.e to get on the blue housebook. The district staff add requirements as it's their way of getting more money when people ask 'is there any way we can fix this issue?'

Thanks...   So all the documentation baansgr referred to was not solely to process the Yellow House Book application, but for something else (i.e. Citizenship / Perhaps PR)...

And.. as you mentioned... I imagine many would take the 'any way we can fix this issue' route rather than jump through those hoops.

• Like 1