Pink Id card for foreigners

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

once every 5 years yippee, i heard that Pattaya transport office don't accept it, residence cert required

I heard!? Its a good idea to verify the info before putting thing in writing. The grape vine is always growing.

16 hours ago, novacova said:

I’m a US citizen collecting SSI, never been asked for the pink id. 

That is your personal experience. You are also assuming the commenter you refer to is also American? Could it not be possible the SS referred to is not from the US?

• Like 2

My amphur in Pakkret gave me a pink card when I got my name put on the the tabien baan as part of the PR process. I didn't know such a card existed until they said "we'll give you a pink card as well".

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Surasak said:

That is your personal experience. You are also assuming the commenter you refer to is also American? Could it not be possible the SS referred to is not from the US?

Yeah that’s right and the experience of 99.9% of the expats here. The poster made a comment about needing a pink id for collecting SSI on an expat forum without stating that it is for Thai SSI. Whether from the US Europe or Antarctica, whatever it is you’re trying to convey is irrelevant. 

17 hours ago, novacova said:

Good grief never heard of such a thing…someone got to be pulling your leg, a pink id is not needed to collect SSI, at least for a US citizen.  

17 hours ago, novacova said:

I’m a US citizen collecting SSI, never been asked for the pink id. 

Thai social security i believe

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, OJAS said:

Link (assuming, of course, that it wasn't the Bangkok Post where you read this)?

haha It probably was the Bangkok Post as it is the only Thai newspaper I read.

18 hours ago, petedk said:

See my comment. I need a pink ID card to continue my social security. Thailand is changing and the pink ID card is used as proof of residency more and more

You most certainly do not need a pink ID to continue Thai SS payments. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LogicThai said:

The Yellow House Book has a field for name of the parents. Hence the requirement, which implies a fresh Birth Certificate (although one was only born once, a birth certificate from 3 years ago is not acceptable), legalised, translated, and the translation legalised etc.

Indeed a lot of hoops, but that's the only way.

That was an issue for me (being from U.K.). Same as many other people I only had the free short-form birth certificate which doesn't contain parents details. Applied for a full-form certificate. However, it's headed 'Copy of entry upon Register of Births'. The amphur saw the word 'Copy' and declined to accept it because they insist upon original documents only!

2 hours ago, CecilM said:

I got it from JJ district office. 
Easy (just showed up).

Quick (30min).

Cheap (60 Baht).

Passport, yellow tabian baan, marriage certificate, and something the wife had to sign in the office. 

I have just this minute returned from my third trip to the didtrict office. First time to enquire and check that I had the right documents. I needed a new certified translation of passport.

Second time I had all the documents but the girl didn't know how to process the application.

Today, I took 2 witnesses and they told me that I needed my driving license (I had it with me), which is strange because you can use yellow book to renew license and license to get yellow book. Ok never mind.

He then took the documents and said :"come back in a month."  I told him I needed the yellow book urgently, but his response was that Valentines Day is coming up, so they are busy.

They were too busy whe we had the floods, then 4 or 5 months after the coup was told to wait as uncertain times.

Then 6 months before a big funeral they were too busy

Then local elections - too busy

Then general election - too busy

I managed to book a time in the week before Valentines day, but was told "be prepared for cancellation."

TIT

18 hours ago, novacova said:

Really? I have two credit cards from two different banks, bkk bank being one of them, neither asked me for a pink id. Go try a different branch 

Thanks all again for the interesting chats.

I had PR and obtained yellow book long time back, way before launch of pink id card. Now retired. Wanting to apply for BBL new M credit card. Was told new regulations include pink id card in addition to other doc. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

They want proof of permanent residency. At first the said Pink ID card and later after I called the head office they siad yellow house book. New requirements.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Enquiry123 said:

I had PR and obtained yellow book long time back, way before launch of pink id card. Now retired. Wanting to apply for BBL new M credit card. Was told new regulations include pink id card in addition to other doc. 

I think this odea of "new regulations" seems to be occurring everywhere. They neeed more control of us foreigners.

2 minutes ago, petedk said:

They want proof of permanent residency. At first the said Pink ID card and later after I called the head office they siad yellow house book. New requirements.

Yes, the housebook is official residency proof.

Incidentally, I couldn't get a SS card as my Thai ID starts with an 8.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This from CAAT with the agreed effective date. The pink ID card is described as a Non-Thai ID card, the very same thing we are talking about here.

Screenshot2024-01-22204143.png.a942675b58b301e76b24427345db626e.png

Yes, it seems that the pink ID card is OK. I have sometimes used my driving license even though I always carry my passport when travelling.

There is one little point that is slightly ambiguous and could be misinterpreted.  It says "passengers who have lost or unable to present the documents."  If you carry your passport, then you are able to present it. 

Anyway, lets hope people don't have problems.

9 minutes ago, Enquiry123 said:

I thought PRs went on the blue housebook.

23 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

My wife did my pink ID Card, I just tagged along acting like an ornament, the village headman acted as a witness. The man from the district office came out to go through some paperwork at our house on one occasion (a few baht changed hands) and finally down to the district office for finger printing and for the photo taken. 

Had it about 4 years now, don't think I have ever used it, infact it's just like a bidet, nobody knows what it is used for, but it looks very impressive anyway. 🥴

1 thing I have used mine for is easy access to the local hospital in emergencies which as I age have happened a couple of times at night lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

That was an issue for me (being from U.K.). Same as many other people I only had the free short-form birth certificate which doesn't contain parents details. Applied for a full-form certificate. However, it's headed 'Copy of entry upon Register of Births'. The amphur saw the word 'Copy' and declined to accept it because they insist upon original documents only!

You could have offered them 500 baht, this is how it works in the distict office.

They give you thing that aren't neccessaray in order to recieve this 'fix it' payment.

Parent's names is only required if you are going for citizenship, I heard.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, petedk said:

There is one little point that is slightly ambiguous and could be misinterpreted.  It says "passengers who have lost or unable to present the documents."  If you carry your passport, then you are able to present it. 

Yeah, that confused me slightly too, surely, it's either acceptable ID or it isn't.

• Like 1

My Pink ID card has great value. First, for entertainment purposes as I always make sure to ask for a discount when I see double-pricing, and then I get laughed at with a negative answer 99% of the time. I did get a foreigner child price once though :).

More seriously, I can use it as a replacement for my passport for most use cases. I traveled for two months around Thailand outside of my province last year and did not use my passport once during that time. It appears hotels don't do a TM30 report when using the pink card as my 90-day report went through (in CNX) without having to do a TM30 upon return.

• Like 1

I applied for the pink card following receipt of permanent residence. CW immigration told me I could use it as ID and I have at hotels outside Bangkok.

Since then, I converted both social security number and tax number to the pink card number (one number, three uses) hence making life more convenient. Easy to carry in the wallet.

I know some banks want the passport, mainly because they haven't been told about the pink card. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hkt83100 said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was sick of getting ripped off by the British Embassy 2000 baht (or however much it was) each time I needed an Affirmation of Address.

Did you try to get it from your Amphoe? It is free, and it takes about ten minutes to get it. And no bribe like at the Immigration. And it saved me a roundtrip of 180 km for the last extension of driving license.

No I have never tried that and was unaware that it was ever an option (before obtaining a Yellow House Book).

I'm wondering how the Amphur Office could provide proof of address unless we have registered with them (i.e. obtained a Yellow House Book).

3 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I applied for the pink card following receipt of permanent residence. CW immigration told me I could use it as ID and I have at hotels outside Bangkok.

Since then, I converted both social security number and tax number to the pink card number (one number, three uses) hence making life more convenient. Easy to carry in the wallet.

I know some banks want the passport, mainly because they haven't been told about the pink card. 

I suggest they want the Passport as that is what is used to open the account and it links it all together for their procedures. Not allowed to think outside the box.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No I have never tried that and was unaware that it was ever an option (before obtaining a Yellow House Book).

I'm wondering how the Amphur Office could provide proof of address unless we have registered with them (i.e. obtained a Yellow House Book).

In my area, you cannot obtain a Pink ID without the yellow book as that book ID is incorporated in the Pink card.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

My bank account is linked to my Pink ID card.

You still have to show your passport to do transactions. 

No you don't....  I have accounts with SCB, Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn. 

The Pink ID and Yellow House book were used (registered) upon opening the account (passport too). 

I have been able to make transactions in all three of those account (i.e. withdrawing money, obtaining statement letters) by presenting my Pink ID along with the Bank Book.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:
6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

In my area, you cannot obtain a Pink ID without the yellow book as that book ID is incorporated in the Pink card.

Same here...   my comment was in response to hkt83100 who wrote that we could obtain proof of address from our Amphur office.

I'm wondering how thats possible if we've never registered (and obtained a Yellow House Book) with the Amphur. 

36 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

My Amphur accepted the copy of my Birth Certificate. They had to because the original 76 year old one has been lost ages ago.

Was initially told that I had to be married to get a Yellow Book/Pink Card, but after showing them the Thai rules, they backed down and issued one. I have used the Pink Card only ONCE in the six months I have had it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You do need a Pink ID to register at SSO and have them switch you from Section 33 to 39. They need a 13-digit ID number, which Thais have but foreigners don't.

Quite possibly a Yellow Tabien Ban might do, but a. one would need to convince the SSO staff of the fact, and b. YTB is the hard piece to get anyway. Pink ID is straightforward after that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I suggest they want the Passport as that is what is used to open the account and it links it all together for their procedures. Not allowed to think outside the box.

Tend to agree. But also, for security purposes, passports are harder to counterfeit.