Pink Id card for foreigners

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here...   my comment was in response to hkt83100 who wrote that we could obtain proof of address from our Amphur office.

I'm wondering how thats possible if we've never registered (and obtained a Yellow House Book) with the Amphur. 

When those of us who had no Yellow Book/Pink Card requested Covid jabs, didn't they generate 13 digit numbers? Were/are those details available to both NHS and Amphur's?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No you don't....  I have accounts with SCB, Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn. 

The Pink ID and Yellow House book were used (registered) upon opening the account (passport too). 

I have been able to make transactions in all three of those account (i.e. withdrawing money, obtaining statement letters) by presenting my Pink ID along with the Bank Book.

Interesting. Never heard of being able to get a statement without passport. Was this for immigration purposes?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Tend to agree. But also, for security purposes, passports are harder to counterfeit. 

Banks want to see whatever ID the account is linked to.

IF you opened your account with a Passport - the bank want to see your Passport, if you have since obtained a Yellow House Book and Pink ID, the Bank still want to see your Passport. 

IF, however, you opened your account with your Yellow House Book and Pink ID (and you will have needed to show a passport too), your account will be tied to your Thai ID number and Passport, thus you can use either the Pink ID or Passport at the Bank.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

You do need a Pink ID to register at SSO and have them switch you from Section 33 to 39. They need a 13-digit ID number, which Thais have but foreigners don't.

Quite possibly a Yellow Tabien Ban might do, but a. one would need to convince the SSO staff of the fact, and b. YTB is the hard piece to get anyway. Pink ID is straightforward after that.

I never had such a card or the YHB when I registered with SSO. 

I used my tax ID no. 

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You could have offered them 500 baht, this is how it works in the distict office.

They give you thing that aren't neccessaray in order to recieve this 'fix it' payment.

Parent's names is only required if you are going for citizenship, I heard.

I recall having to write my parents' names on the pink card application form when I got mine. I was not asked to provide proof, but had blue tabien baan, TM17 residence certificate, red police book and passport. The staff at the amphur scanned each and every page of all of them. I guess they got their fill of documentation.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting. Never heard of being able to get a statement without passport. Was this for immigration purposes?

Bank Statement for extension of Stay (based on Non-Imm O) back in 2020.

And for any other transaction needed... 

Note: As pointed out earlier - Accounts are linked to the Yellow House Book / Pink ID (these are not accounts only opened with just a passport).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Banks want to see whatever ID the account is linked to.

IF you opened your account with a Passport - the bank want to see your Passport, if you have since obtained a Yellow House Book and Pink ID, the Bank still want to see your Passport. 

IF, however, you opened your account with your Yellow House Book and Pink ID (and you will have needed to show a passport too), your account will be tied to your Thai ID number and Passport, thus you can use either the Pink ID or Passport at the Bank.

Your account will have to be in a Thai name then? I mean Thai letters. Did you need a passport translation?

1 minute ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I recall having to write my parents' names on the pink card application form when I got mine. I was not asked to provide proof, but had blue tabien baan, TM17 residence certificate, red police book and passport. The staff at the amphur scanned each and every page of all of them. I guess they got their fill of documentation.

Same as me, just write parents names, no proof. However, when going for citizenship I needed copies of parents' passports and my birth cert. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Note: As pointed out earlier - Accounts are linked to the Yellow House Book / Pink ID (these are not accounts only opened with just a passport).

Strange they didn't ask for your passport for the number to put on the letter you need from the bank with this statement. 

Just now, Neeranam said:
9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Strange they didn't ask for your passport for the number to put on the letter you need from the bank with this statement. 

They already have my Passport details in their system, also the Thailand ID # - either one has worked when asking for a printed (and stamped) statement.

I don't actually recall if my Passport # was printed on my the statement.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They already have my Passport details in their system, also the Thailand ID # - either one has worked when asking for a printed (and stamped) statement.

I don't actually recall if my Passport # was printed on my the statement.

Your bank obviously are not the normal and don't understand the law. 

I find it bizarre if the bank gave you a letter to immigration without asking for your passport. 

Pink ID does not show you are legally in the country, ie you have a valid visa. 

2 of my banks asked me for my passport after showing them my blue Thai ID card. :cheesy:

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No I have never tried that and was unaware that it was ever an option (before obtaining a Yellow House Book).

I'm wondering how the Amphur Office could provide proof of address unless we have registered with them (i.e. obtained a Yellow House Book).

I got my pink ID card from the Forensic Police in Khon Kaen

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here...   my comment was in response to hkt83100 who wrote that we could obtain proof of address from our Amphur office.

I'm wondering how thats possible if we've never registered (and obtained a Yellow House Book) with the Amphur. 

You can get a proof of address from Amphur if you are married to a Thai national.  Its free but will take a few hours of your time.  You need two witnesses  and of course wife.....

I did it last year for renewal of 5 year DL.  The Amphur staff gave me a list for what is required for Yellow book .  I have nt followed it up having been here 20+ years and managed nicely without one.

You get a few Thai women who have husbands from Myanmar etc, thats how I found out about the address letters.

This was in Wichian Buri,  Phetchabun....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, novacova said:

The poster made a comment about needing a pink id for collecting SSI on an expat forum without stating that it is for Thai SSI.

Senior brain fart. Poster meant Thai SS, as you should know.

2 hours ago, novacova said:

Whether from the US Europe or Antarctica, whatever it is you’re trying to convey is irrelevant. 

Whether from the US Europe or Antarctica, the pink card is now the standard ID used in Thailand for using Thai SS health insurance. And that's what I use at my designated SS gov't hospital. So: entirely relevant. It's possible to have a separate card issued after jumping through some hoops, which you'd do IF you had Thai SS.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Whether from the US Europe or Antarctica, the pink card is now the standard ID used in Thailand for using Thai SS health insurance. And that's what I use at my designated SS gov't hospital. It's possible to have a separate card issued after jumping through some hoops.

2 months ago, I jumped through hoops to get the SS card but they said if the card starts with an 8, they couldn't give one. This was confirmed by head office in Bangkok.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

2 months ago, I jumped through hoops to get the SS card but they said if the card starts with an 8, they couldn't give one. This was confirmed by head office in Bangkok.

PM @scorecard. He did so recently, as I recall.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, brianburi said:

You can get a proof of address from Amphur if you are married to a Thai national.  Its free but will take a few hours of your time.  You need two witnesses  and of course wife.....

I did it last year for renewal of 5 year DL.  The Amphur staff gave me a list for what is required for Yellow book .  I have nt followed it up having been here 20+ years and managed nicely without one.

You get a few Thai women who have husbands from Myanmar etc, thats how I found out about the address letters.

This was in Wichian Buri,  Phetchabun....

Thanks for that - useful info. 

I'd have probably gone that route initially instead of going to the UK Consulate each time I needed an Affirmation of Address.

That said, it still seems like a bit 'faff' each time (particularly the witnesses part)... at least the Yellow House Book is a one off (until we move, then I'm not sure what changing it entails).

I'm glad I got the Yellow House Book, I have found it useful and worthwhile getting. 

I'm glad I spent the extra 10mins and 40 baht to get the Pink ID, I have found that has added an additional layer of convenience. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2024 at 11:28 AM, Wobblybob said:

My wife did my pink ID Card, I just tagged along acting like an ornament, the village headman acted as a witness. The man from the district office came out to go through some paperwork at our house on one occasion (a few baht changed hands) and finally down to the district office for finger printing and for the photo taken. 

Had it about 4 years now, don't think I have ever used it, infact it's just like a bidet, nobody knows what it is used for, but it looks very impressive anyway. 🥴

I had not even heard of it, but my wife wanted me to get one, I still don't know why, all she said was "good for you". Had a Thai friend who spoke English, no money changed hands.

I know what a bidet is used for, and I know what a pink card is used for, as with Many people also know what they are both used for. 

22 hours ago, Hokeus said:

I did not intend to suggest that the clause on the back of the pink card will limit a pink card holder's movements within Thailand of someone who has a passport and who isn't a migrant worker.

However, I was told directly by DLT that if you want to use a pink card for address verification (as opposed to obtaining a letter of residence address verification from the Thai immigration department) that the pink card will be accepted as such but that the DL issued would only permit driving of a vehicle in the province in which the DL was issued. I'm only repeating what I was told directly by the DLT back in 2020. If this is really not the law then that would be good news. 

I have to agree with regards to what DLT told you, but that advice was only partially correct. If you use your Pink ID card when applying for/renewing your DL then the ID card # is displayed on your license and that's when the restriction of only being able to drive in the province of issue comes into effect. However, if you use your yellow book as proof of address then you provide your passport as ID then your passport # is displayed on your license. Then there is no restriction as to where you can drive in Thailand.

My local DLT initially refused to accept my yellow book as proof of address, but when I showed them an email from the Province's DLT main office clearly stating that the yellow book was acceptable, the DLT officer still refused. This particular DLT officer has a bad reputation for making it difficult for farangs to renew their licenses, so I insisted on speaking with the most senior person at the local DLT office. The witch from hell did not like that request and refused to comply with the request. So my wife and I went to the general enquiry counter and made the request there. I was immediately ushered into the senior officer's office and my Thai wife explained the situation, including that the individual referred to had such a bad reputation. Manager telephoned the witch and ordered her to come to her office immediately. Questioned her as to why she was not following the proper procedure and reminder her that this was not the first time that she had been the subject of such complaints. The manager signed off on the paperwork and ordered the witch to process my license renewal immediately. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I have to agree with regards to what DLT told you, but that advice was only partially correct. If you use your Pink ID card when applying for/renewing your DL then the ID card # is displayed on your license and that's when the restriction of only being able to drive in the province of issue comes into effect. However, if you use your yellow book as proof of address then you provide your passport as ID then your passport # is displayed on your license. Then there is no restriction as to where you can drive in Thailand.

My local DLT initially refused to accept my yellow book as proof of address, but when I showed them an email from the Province's DLT main office clearly stating that the yellow book was acceptable, the DLT officer still refused. This particular DLT officer has a bad reputation for making it difficult for farangs to renew their licenses, so I insisted on speaking with the most senior person at the local DLT office. The witch from hell did not like that request and refused to comply with the request. So my wife and I went to the general enquiry counter and made the request there. I was immediately ushered into the senior officer's office and my Thai wife explained the situation, including that the individual referred to had such a bad reputation. Manager telephoned the witch and ordered her to come to her office immediately. Questioned her as to why she was not following the proper procedure and reminder her that this was not the first time that she had been the subject of such complaints. The manager signed off on the paperwork and ordered the witch to process my license renewal immediately. 

Excellent, very well handled - its good to see that a perfectly logical solution was achieved.

I have often found that when 'nudging' an issue up the chain a couple of levels a logical response surfaces, I have encountered very similar with immigration and the logical resolution was realised only after forcing the issue up a couple of levels beyond the junior immigration officers.

• Agree 2

Getting my pink and yellow was a saga which I won't go into. I have had the pink ID accepted at the bank for transactions but they want the passport for the annual letter. The local village clinic accepted it when I was getting a daily dressing change on a wound previously I have paid a small amount however it now appears to be free. I was going to use it at the district hospital where I went to get a rabies shot and the wound originally dressed, however the wife informed me that the card says I am an Austrian not an Australian and opined that there could be trouble/confusion down the track. So I didn't find out whether that treatment would have been discounted. I was going to go back to the Amphur and get them to fix it but apparently the problem was in the translation of passport that I provided so I would probably have to go through the whole thing again, dragging the Poo Yai Baan down there etc. So as I got the DL with it I'm happy to leave it as it is, I don't think anyone will ever notice.

27 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

the card says I am an Austrian not an Australian

Frustrating. Probably could be remedied in a moment and a new card issued if you got the right person on the right day. However, as you say, easier to let it go not knowing what further details they might require.