Is cannabis legal for foreigners in Thailand? Know the rules

webfact

16 minutes ago, arick said:

The marijuana plants in this country are dead as a doorknob I don't think there's any TCH in any of them.

You could smoke the whole crop and nothing would happen to you could still walk in a straight line wouldn't even feel anything. 

That second sentence makes me think of people who drink so they can get falling down, puking their guts out, drunk, then brag about how much of a good time they had last night, while complaining about their terrible hangover.    

Edited by radiochaser
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

After reading this very confusing article I just have one question is it legal for foreigners to smoke pot in their home? That would be like a yes or no answer. Thank you very much. TIT.

UP2U Neh! 🤩

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hokeus said:

Can't wait, I'm coming now. Will it be Gorilla Glue, Acapulco Gold, or OG Kush this time?  🤗💯❤️

No nothing fancy,some very old Thai strain.

It does the job for me and for some others who have tried.

We just put seeds in the ground and nature takes care of the rest,the way it should be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Walk into any bar and not onlycanyou smell the weed everyone who smokes it ends up passing it around it’s going to be extremely difficult to close the industry down to many involved in the growing and distribution of it the only thing I see is the price has drastically come down for a spliff or two 

• Like 2

I don’t do the stuff but have been successful in growing 2 plants which produced well over 50 buds so I was proud of my achievement I tried a third one but the rainy season killed it off as I just let it grow in the garden no magic lamps just natural sunlight

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Trippy said:

I've smoked weed in bars after asking permission, it's private property. 

So the bar gives you permission to break the law? Do you ask the other customers in the bar if they mind the stink?

I'll start asking the bar for permission to drive myself home after drinking ten beers. It's a private car.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

After reading this very confusing article I just have one question is it legal for foreigners to smoke pot in their home? That would be like a yes or no answer. Thank you very much. TIT.

Depends if house or condo, some condos have rules about smoking inside.

But if nobody sees you, you can do what you like.

• Like 2

So, I'm a non-smoker of anything, period.  I hadn't experienced cannabis since a trip to Cambodia in 2011 where I enjoyed Happy Pizza

But, last year, in Pattaya, I bought a small box of "cookies" from one of the shops openly selling them on Soi Bukhaui.

I ate one in my hotel room and the effects were VERY noticeable - yup, I was stoned...but very happily!

I'm well over the age of consent. (Old enough to know better!) 😃

My minor dilemmas are:

Was I legal at the time? - I think the answer is yes

Would I be legal to do that now?

What if I shared said cookies with another adult?

What if, having consumed said cookies, I / we went out in public WITHOUT taking remaining cookies but still being well under the influence?  NO plans to drive  by the way.

These are all questions which, were I to be in UK, would be relevant and could easily cause me problems but I can't fathom out what the answers are in Thailand.

58 minutes ago, Dr Jon said:

So the bar gives you permission to break the law? Do you ask the other customers in the bar if they mind the stink?

I'll start asking the bar for permission to drive myself home after drinking ten beers. It's a private car.

The law says not in public, a bar is private property so It's not breaking the law. And I'll only do it if the bar has no customers, easy to find in Pattaya.

I never drink or smoke and drive, if you do it's very foolish and dangerous for everyone else on the road.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Trippy said:

The law says not in public, a bar is private property so It's not breaking the law. And I'll only do it if the bar has no customers, easy to find in Pattaya.

I never drink or smoke and drive, if you do it's very foolish and dangerous for everyone else on the road.

Do you understand the difference between private property which you control (your own house) and private property which is open to the public (bars, restaurants, 7/11s, shopping centres, etc)?

The article states: "consuming cannabis in public spaces is a major taboo, enforced with the risk of fines or imprisonment." A bar may be private property, however it is a public space.

From your assurance that you only consume cannabis "if the bar has no customers", does that mean you immediately stop when a second customer arrives?

Following your logic I will start a similar practice. After having ten beers I will only drive on roads with no other vehicles.

44 minutes ago, Trippy said:

I'm being deliberately contentious and somewhat pedantic here but IS a bar a private place?

If it's open to the public, it may be private property, but is it not still a public place?

For example, in UK there are pubs  owned by companies or individuals with Saloon and Public bars.  

Remember the devil is in the detail, especially in matters of law.

UPDATE: My post coincided with @Dr Jon above but we seem to be saying much the same thing

Edited by VBF
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Well we had 3 units smoking in their rooms, I think set off smoke detectors also , and now management says no smoking marajuana, always the dumbest screw it up for all of us , go on balcony morons 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Depends if house or condo, some condos have rules about smoking inside.

But if nobody sees you, you can do what you like.

Just be discreet , morons among us , just don’t give a toss and we have to live here 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I would say a home not a condo