Alternative retirement locations

43 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

Ref Siem Reap, currently  what are the regulations for long stays in Cambodia.? What would be the equivalent of a one year extension of permission to stay.? 

For retirement it's super easy but there is a minimum age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saintdomingo said:

Ref Siem Reap, currently  what are the regulations for long stays in Cambodia.? What would be the equivalent of a one year extension of permission to stay.? 

55yrs age and visa 285usd/yearly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GypsyT said:

San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato

"In fact, it's one of the safest cities in all of Mexico

Tried it for a month 3 years ago. Didn't see a one bed room for less than $1,500 and those were scarce and out of town.

Very small, not much bigger than Nan. Good but not great restaurant selection. I stayed at the Zen Center for $10 a night. Maybe 3 people show up on a busy night at the Zen Center

Supposedly, it has the largest proportion of older western woman expats in the world, surpassing even Bali. Those old hags must have been in hiding -and hiding out from Zen too.

Guanajuato had more life to it, but was another 3 day town. They have a Thai restaurant. But not one you'd go to twice. If you go to two of these mountain towns with expensive silver and craft stores, you can skip the rest.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Supposedly, it has the largest proportion of older western woman expats in the world, surpassing even Bali. Those old hags must have been in hiding -and hiding out from Zen too.

Sounds good!

They just didn't know there were fresh meat in town...

25 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Sounds good!

They just didn't know there were fresh meat in town...

Sounds like you missed Queretaro a safe big city with an incredible colonial central area.

No doubt some areas of Mexico are no longer for low budget retirees.

But it's a big country with lots of less ruined by expats and tourism options.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/29/2024 at 10:19 PM, GypsyT said:

Advise from my Japanese lady friend who lived in Spain.

I told I have hard time to decide where to park my bones and she said : "Check out Okinawa! It's like the US."

She also said the weather is like mainland Spain most of the time.

That sounded strange until I did some research. Now it's on my bucket list.

"Okinawan culture is more laid back than mainland Japan. The pace is slower and the people are less hesitant to speak their minds (though still far more reserved than Western cultures). The people here value crafts such as pottery and glass; and the music here is distinctively Okinawan.

Okinawan culture is also heavily influenced by American culture. In 1945, near the end of World War II, the U.S. invaded Okinawa, and in 1952, the U.S. and Japan signed an agreement for the U.S. military to stay."

The best last;

"Today, there are anywhere between 40,000 and 80,000 military personnel, accompanying family members, and civilian employees and contractors. The American influence is evident in things like taco rice (a tex-mex/asian hybrid), American Village (a tourist shopping hub), A&W fast food, and some dishes containing Spam. In fact, many tourists from mainland Japan come to Okinawa just to get a taste of American culture."

US without illegals!

I've been to Okinawa quite a few times, it is just a 2 hour and 50 dollar flight from where I live. The beaches are nice in areas, interesting culture to be sure. Chill people. Relatively poor compared to the rest of Japan. No homeless camps or anything like that, but noticeably less wealth. Little or no public transportation to speak of- you need your own wheels to get around. Also fairly crowded, at least the popular part of the main island. 

But far from the rest of the country, I could see spending a couple of weeks max before getting bored. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

If you go direct to immigration in Phnom Penh it is cheaper I think about 175 bucks. Also no reporting and it is a multiple re-entry visa as well. Quite a good deal. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

The last time I was there years ago there was no age requirement. Just went to a travel agent paid the $300 or so and got the passport with the year visa back in several days.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

The last time I was there years ago there was no age requirement. Just went to a travel agent paid the $300 or so and got the passport with the year visa back in several days.

The main activities in Thai cities are eating and drinking. I guess Cambodia is inferior for food.

Mexico City just got ranked 6th best city in the world (out of the 50 best) in the Time Out survey.

I think people that don't know Mexico often don't realize what an amazing city it is and very relatively affordable compared to comparable great cities globally.

50 Best Cities in the World to Visit in 2024 (timeout.com)

6. Mexico City

What makes us great: With a museum on every corner, it’s no surprise Mexico City was named the best city in the world for culture in 2023. There’s plenty more where that came from this year, with exciting emerging art spaces like Laguna, new galleries like Naranjo, and eagerly awaited international exhibitions like Damien Hirst at Museo Jumex. CDMX is also at the forefront of a vibrant gastronomic revolution, from mushroom cultivation at Tencui, Japanese coffee at Panya and the best brisket at Ahumados Pelican. The dark kitchens of Roma will surprise you, San Miguel Chapultepec’s artsy offerings will captivate you, breakfast in Condesa will be delicious and an afternoon in Coyoacán will be unforgettable. Get ready to fall even more in love with our neighbourhoods, our food and our warmth when you visit CDMX this year.

Visit now because: In the summer, the Cineteca Nacional will open a new home in the Bosque de Chapultepec, featuring eight theatres and an outdoor forum. 

The big numbers: Mexico City scored highly for its overall liveability, with 100 percent of locals naming the city beautiful, 96 percent saying they were happy there and 94 percent saying it’s easy to make friends.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Mexico City just got ranked 6th best city in the world (out of the 50 best) in the Time Out survey.

I think people that don't know Mexico often don't realize what an amazing city it is and very relatively affordable compared to comparable great cities globally.

6. Mexico City

What makes us great: With a museum on every corner, it’s no surprise Mexico City was named the best city in the world for culture in 2023. There’s plenty more where that came from this year, with exciting emerging art spaces like Laguna, new galleries like Naranjo, and eagerly awaited international exhibitions like Damien Hirst at Museo Jumex. CDMX is also at the forefront of a vibrant gastronomic revolution, from mushroom cultivation at Tencui, Japanese coffee at Panya and the best brisket at Ahumados Pelican. The dark kitchens of Roma will surprise you, San Miguel Chapultepec’s artsy offerings will captivate you, breakfast in Condesa will be delicious and an afternoon in Coyoacán will be unforgettable. Get ready to fall even more in love with our neighbourhoods, our food and our warmth when you visit CDMX this year.

Visit now because: In the summer, the Cineteca Nacional will open a new home in the Bosque de Chapultepec, featuring eight theatres and an outdoor forum. 

The big numbers: Mexico City scored highly for its overall liveability, with 100 percent of locals naming the city beautiful, 96 percent saying they were happy there and 94 percent saying it’s easy to make friends.

If it's so great why aren't you there? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

6. Mexico City

Manchester no 7

Manilla 34

No Chiang Mai. The list wasn't written by you know who?

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Mexico City just got ranked 6th best city in the world (out of the 100 best) in the Time Out survey.

Nasty looking accommodation compared with thailand though.

Same Philippines, vietnam, Cambodia etc etc.

If you live in the real basic places then probably wouldn't notice any difference.

I was one day in Mexico City on the way to Lime, Peru.

Barely could breath... and so smokey LA looked fresh compared to it. I got headache.

Reason;

Why is Mexico City so smoggy?
"Located in the crater of an extinct volcano, Mexico City is about 2,240 metres above sea level. The lower atmospheric oxygen levels at this altitude cause incomplete fuel combustion in engines and higher emissions of carbon monoxide and other compounds. Intense sunlight turns these into higher than normal smog levels."

Otherwise I agree; lot to see and very rich in arts but won't be back.

5 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

I was one day in Mexico City on the way to Lime, Peru.

Barely could breath... and so smokey LA looked fresh compared to it. I got headache.

Reason;

"Located in the crater of an extinct volcano, Mexico City is about 2,240 metres above sea level. The lower atmospheric oxygen levels at this altitude cause incomplete fuel combustion in engines and higher emissions of carbon monoxide and other compounds. Intense sunlight turns these into higher than normal smog levels."

That's a good point.

I don’t live in Bangkok but it's great to have it available.

32 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Nasty looking accommodation compared with thailand though.

Same Philippines, vietnam, Cambodia etc etc.

If you live in the real basic places then probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Does it?

I've only been there as a tourist.

Never went apartment hunting. 

My impression is that the conditions vary widely based on the neighborhood and there are tons of different neighborhoods. 

1 minute ago, uttradit said:

How come only 1 Thai city makes the top 50? Your link can't be taken seriously.

Manilla better than Chiang Mai what nonsense.

Notice that the list is mostly very major world citizens. Thailand has Bangkok for that. The US has LA, NYC, and Chicago. 

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Manchester no 7

Manilla 34

No Chiang Mai. The list wasn't written by you know who?

if you mean International Living then no.

It was based on a survey of residents and highest resident ratings higher on list.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Notice that the list is mostly very major world citizens. Thailand has Bangkok for that. The US has LA, NYC, and Chicago. 

Big cities are only better for working not retirement. "I'm moving to retire in Manila" said nobody ever.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Tried it, but the area's you might live in comprise an area smaller than the Chiang Mai old city. The city is laid out so that you are constantly confronted by an eight lane mega-road or other you have to cross. The downtown historic district really shuts down after dark.

Weird quirk: hard to find an apartment with air conditioning. Everything was $1,200 a month plus. Renting in Zona Roma would be as hard  and expensive as renting in Soho or Greenwich Village (Thai food options: adequate). Loved that it had proper bookstores and Sun Ra playing in them, but it was easy to get bored after a month.

Def no cheery Thai-style sanuk vibe. Medium hostility about Yanquie Gentrification. Less English spoken then in Chiang Mai too.

And: someday, the mother of all earthquakes awaits you -we know not when- due to Mex City being built on a sinking, old lake bottom. 

Looked in on Quetetaro too. More spread out than the other mountain towns, and a fair bit duller.

I forget the name for it, but they had a bad idea-sandwich where the bread is served sopping wet, covered in red sauce. Yuck. Do you love low grade, gristly pork?  Because you'll be eating it twice a day, if you're lucky.

The day after Thailand opened up post covid, I left.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1