Non O Retirement One Year Visa extension questions

I'm considering issues about renewal, and appreciate useful advice.

I got my first one year non O visa extension (from original 3 month non O visa) on 18-April 2023, and now I want to renew for another year.

I also have multiple re-entry permit, which I also want to renew.

I'm using 800k฿ in the bank method, Krungthai.

I'm married to a Thai lady, and I have my Yellow House Book, and my Pink ID card, for what that is worth.

I travel a lot, and have never been in Thailand for more than 90 consecutive days on one visa. So I never filed a 90 day / TM30 form.

I used an agent to help me get my bank account, visas, and multiple entry permit. At Bangkok immigration. Same building complex as the Krungthai bank is also conveniently located. The agent charged a lot.

Questions:

1) When should I target renewal process? I consider there may be holiday activity around 18-April, so some time in advance may be good.

2) Should I use the same Bangkok immigration center as before, or can I visit any immigration center, e.g. in Phuket?

3) Should I use an agent again? It was an easy process for what was very confusing to me. The agent walked me to all the various stations, filled out all the forms, I just had to be physically present and sign papers.

4) If I use an agent again (maybe the same one again), what should I expect to pay? Including for the re-entry permit.

5) If I go it alone (with help of my Thai wife for translation, etc.) what is the correct process (including forms, etc. url references also appreciated)?

Thank you to all helpful responders.

Edited by ibjoe
fix typo

Just did this today at an agency aside from bank letter, statement bank book, yellow book, which I was informed of earlier now they wanted copy of chanote front and back as well as Wifes Thai ID. This is odd as I do the 800K which has been in bank since 2019.. After a discussion they upped the fee to 10,000 baht which I forked over.. I was quoted 7,000 for the service.. Not sure if this is bait and switch or what..

Edited by yankyoakum
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, Thingamabob said:

However, as age catches up with me, I will likely need to do so at some stage. Currently 82 years old.

I will 100% use agent when mobility becomes an issue.

That will certainly occur prior to 82.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, ibjoe said:

1) When should I target renewal process? I consider there may be holiday activity around 18-April, so some time in advance may be good.

Songkran is 13-April Mon the 15th could be a bank holiday and maybe the 16th . 

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, ibjoe said:

Questions:

2) Should I use the same Bangkok immigration center as before, or can I visit any immigration center, e.g. in Phuket?

3) Should I use an agent again? It was an easy process for what was very confusing to me. The agent walked me to all the various stations, filled out all the forms, I just had to be physically present and sign papers.

4) If I use an agent again (maybe the same one again), what should I expect to pay? Including for the re-entry permit.

5) If I go it alone (with help of my Thai wife for translation, etc.) what is the correct process (including forms, etc. url references also appreciated)?

Thank you to all helpful responders.

To my experience and knowledge – I'm also extending stay based on retirement...

1) You can do it up to 45 days before expiry date of your present stay, but you need to check with the local immigration office, some don't accepts more than 30 days before.

2) You shall apply for extension of stay at the immigration office where you live (i.e. your registered address).

3) Retirement extension is simple, you don't need an agent, just follow the local immigration office's rules (they are little different from office to office).

4) You don't need agent; however, for service with paperwork a few thousand baht would be a fair price.

5) You can go alone, you don't need a translator at the major locations with foreigners, they often have a list in English with requirements; all forms are in both English and Thai language.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all responders for the very useful and helpful information.

Especially DrJack54 for the advice and the three urls to relevant threads, and khunPer for specific responses to each question.

After completing my visa extension I will post a report.

Reference (DrJack54) "2. You must do the extension at immigration office where are living".

When I first got my visa, in Bangkok, the agent used their office address for my address, also for my Krungthai bank account they opened in my name. But my subsequent Tabien Baan Yellow House Book is my wife's address in Yasothon. So I understand I must use Yasothon Immigration office. 3 Prapa Rd Nai Muang Mueang Yasothon District. About 55km from home. They have (10) positive reviews on Google.

Also I should change my Krungthai account address to match my Tabien Baan.

Songkran is April 13. I read a news article https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailand-s-songkran-to-be-celebrated-for-entire-april-in-2024-under-govt-s-soft-power-plan that Songkran will be for ALL of April. So maybe I should start early, like Wednesday 20-March. My wife says Songkran shutdown starts Wednesday 10-April. I'll ask my wife to check with Yasothon Immigration office about their schedule for April. Also about specific requirements at that office.

I'm not clear on ฿800k proof requirements. I have that (plus a bit more) in Krungthai bank. I don't think there are any Kungthai branches in Yasothon area (only ATMs), so a same day hardcopy from the bank would be difficult. I could do an ATM transaction (to update to current day) and use the Krungthai app to send me a PDF statement showing current balance for the year up to the day. But same day updating my physical bank book could be an issue. Again, I'll ask my wife to ask about local office requirements details.

Since I haven't been in Thailand for more than 90 consecutive days since getting my last Non O visa, and my passport shows that, exit and entry stamps, I think I should not need a TM47 90 day report?

Since I have my Tabien Baan I think I should not need a TM30?

I didn't know I could get re-entry permit at airport. But I prefer to have the multiple re-entry already done, to avoid potential last moment issues. So I will apply for that again at same time as visa extension.

Side note, I found this useful url for immigration documents descriptions: https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand-visa/thai-immigration-forms

Appreciate continued useful comments.

Edited by ibjoe
fix typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2024 at 2:20 PM, brianthainess said:

Songkran is 13-April Mon the 15th could be a bank holiday and maybe the 16th . 

I can confirm (wife works at the bank) that the 15th and 16th are the official (as of now) bank holidays for Songkran this year.

Government often has an extra day so not so sure about the 17th for immigration - but would not count on them being open.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...