Immigration System Malfunction Causes Passenger Backlog

snoop1130

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Biometric system glitch at Suvarnabhumi Airport causes passenger delays
by Nattapong Westwood

image.jpeg
Photo courtesy of Matichon

Suvarnabhumi International Airport faced significant disruptions early this morning when its biometric immigration system malfunctioned, causing delays and a rapid build-up of passengers. Immigration police swiftly implemented contingency measures to mitigate the impact on flight schedules.

In the predawn hours of yesterday, Suvarnabhumi Airport’s immigration department was thrown into chaos as the biometric system encountered technical issues around 4.30am. Chaired by Chaiyapruek Rimphadee, the Immigration Division 2 leader and spokesperson for the Immigration Bureau, a swift response was initiated to address the malfunctioning system.

image.jpeg

Photo courtesy of Matichon

Normally, the processing time from presenting a passport to receiving a stamped clearance by immigration officers at Suvarnabhumi Airport takes no more than 45 seconds per individual. However, due to the system failure, the time required per passenger exceeded one minute. The breakdown also affected the automatic passport control channels, which were unable to function, resulting in extended queues that stretched back to the baggage screening areas, reported KhaoSod.

As passengers bound for international flights quickly accumulated, the queues extended significantly from the usual immigration counters starting from 4.30am. The Immigration Division 2 communicated with the Immigration Checkpoint Technology Center, which oversees the biometric technology, urging an urgent resolution.

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

That picture looks very similar to the immigration line at Newark International Airport, in New Jersey.  Not just once but several times when I returned there from Thailand!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NedR69 said:

What are the requirements for passing through the priority lanes?

Business or First class ticket holder, being an old fart (I think 70 or 75), physical disability, and I think having small children may help too.   Ugly don't count, so at least being an old fart is helpful for me.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, geisha said:

Don’t they ( government/ immigration) feel ashamed when they see such horrendous queues at their airports ?

One can only assume you are new to air travel.

When you are in the middle of 3 x A380s discharging passengers into a narrow passageway you may understand what "horrendous queue" actually means.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

BBL still uses DOS for all of their in house banking. 

Because it's stable. So do most UK banks because upgrading is expensive and not without risk, if not done carefully. RBS systems meltdown in 2012 was because they outsourced IT to India - where they had no idea how to handle the three 1960s mainframes on which the whole system was built.

My experience of Thai banks apps is that they're miles ahead of the UK's, even if Starling which is entirely an online bank. And before you start complaining about your bank branch here, be thankful you have a branch. UK banks are closing most of theirs - worst of both worlds. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Wheelchair, Over 70 or white stick and dark glasses.

Travelling with your Thai wife enables you to use Thai immigration, usually a good shortcut. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, NedR69 said:

What are the requirements for passing through the priority lanes?

Only over 70 year, but be not surprised when they send you back, it almost happened to me the some day, a high-ranking executive was checking whether his subordinates were doing well, but he himself was not doing well and was whistled back by the subordinates, and I was allowed to continue.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

1706079827_581944-tnamcot-768x576.jpg

SAMUT PRAKAN, Jan 24 (TNA) – A disruption in the immigration biometrics system occurred early Wednesday morning at Suvarnabhumi Airport, leading to a buildup of passengers and prompting swift efforts to address the issue.

Pol Maj Gen Choengron Rimpadee, commander of immigration officers at the international airport said the system was currently undergoing repairs, causing delays at the immigration counters. This, in turn, extended the time required for the processing of passport checks from the usual 45 seconds per person to over 1 minute.

image.jpeg

The malfunction primarily impacted the Automated channels for passport checks, leading to severe congestion during peak flight hours, particularly for outbound passengers. The situation escalated quickly, resulting in long queues extending to the baggage inspection points.

The Immigration Technology Center, overseeing the affected technology system has expedited the resolution. Simultaneously, Suvarnabhumi Airport’s immigration checkpoints took immediate action according to their contingency plans, resorting to manual checks conducted by immigration officers and utilizing the airport’s application to identify individuals with potential issues such as warrants or overstays.

Source: Thai News Agency 2024-01-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

Thailand, the Hub of Malfunctions:coffee1:

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Finnair desk at MAN was diabolical.  Aged 80, I stood for  over an hour whilst a gobby farang woman argued with staff over seating her family en route to BKK.  The fracas attracted staff from other desks till this one was the sole operating outlet.  Throw in the jumped-up little Hitlers on the security queues; surly other staff; scruffy litter-strewn environment and you can see why landing in Bangkok was a breeze for pensioners.

The worst of all time I have ever experienced - and by a long way - was arriving at LA Airport.

Nothing anywhere else experienced or heard about, including this, even comes close to that day. 

Then going from the Int to Dom terminal - what a joke that was too. 

Airports and Airlines get away with it too easy - it is absolutely awful everywhere some days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I never noticed that a passportchecking would only take 45 seconds.. 2 to 5 minutes seems to be normal, with pictures and fingerprintgs and a grumpy officer...Anyway Thailand and computers don't match

I suspect they are referring to the actual electronic check of the passport when it is placed in the reader and not the whole clearance process

1 minute ago, Jaggg88 said:

I suspect they are referring to the actual electronic check of the passport when it is placed in the reader and not the whole clearance process

I'm not sure but I think I saw something (BP?) about the temporary loss of an automatic connection to APPS/APIS upon scanning of the passport. So the passenger may have to be screened manually against a paper list, or the officer needs to make a specific call/inquiry to the APPS database.

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

Oddly though when exiting the UK (for UK nationals or foreigners) there is no immigration to go through - Airline counter Check-in, self scan boarding pass, security, done. 

Yep - that's the best way to remove the outbound issues...you could then move those IOs to working on the inbound queues as well....

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

3 days at Jomtien seriously,

Yup. Went with a friend last week.
Thursday: get paperwork and MAKE APPOINTMENT

Friday: Submit paperwork
Monday: Pickup passport

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, sumongkhwai said:

It seems highly unlike that a 15 second discrepancy per passport would result in those lines but, I wasn't there and could be wrong,

"Normally, the processing time from presenting a passport to receiving a stamped clearance by immigration officers at Suvarnabhumi Airport takes no more than 45 seconds per individual. However, due to the system failure, the time required per passenger exceeded one minute"

Read the fine print. Over a minute can be one minute and one second or 10 mins or more!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

No, they really do mean beginning to end. They have repeated the claim of "45 seconds to process each passenger" on many occasions over the past year or two, each time a photo of an enormous queue finds its way onto social media.

For departures, that claim may not be too far off. For arrivals, it's true for many/most passengers (I used to time each one while waiting to get to the head of the line), but more than a few pax take considerably longer.

7 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The worst of all time I have ever experienced - and by a long way - was arriving at LA Airport.

My absolute worst experience in dozens of arrivals in BKK was still better than my best experience in about a dozen arrivals at LAX.  It has always been horrid.  There's always a huge queue either at the IO passport check or the baggage customs inspection.  Sometimes, on both.

The only up side is that there's no immigration queue upon leaving the US.

Edited by impulse
  • Agree 1

Gotta ask them questions ''where are you flying to today.... where is your onward travel tickets..... what is the name of your hotel..... do you have thai girlfriend''  Someone has to ask the tough questions delay or no delay.

10 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Gotta ask them questions ''where are you flying to today.... where is your onward travel tickets..... what is the name of your hotel..... do you have thai girlfriend''  Someone has to ask the tough questions delay or no delay.

In 10 BKK arrivals over the past year, visa exempt, I've never been asked any of those questions.  Just a stamp, a smile, and on my way.  Less than a minute.  Fingers crossed, usually after waiting less than 5 minutes in the queue, if there was one.  Several times, I walked right up to the IO.

Edit:  I'd add, that's in the cattle class queues.

Edited by impulse