School near Nakhon Phanom town has only one teacher

webfact

image.png

Primary schools in Thailand’s more remote areas having only one teacher responsible for the teaching of all subjects is not uncommon, but such a school only seven kilometres from the north-eastern provincial capital of Nakhon Phanom is not a good sign. It is stark evidence of the educational inequality in Thailand.

Section 49 of the Constitution specifies that every Thai is entitled to a free and quality education for at least 12 years.

The Dong Choke Ratsadon-uthit school, in Nong Yat sub-district, is supervised by the Primary Education Office of Nakhon Phanom and is under the jurisdiction of the Office of the Basic Education Commission.

The school’s one and only teacher is Thanyalak Deechan and she told a Thai PBS reporter that there are 19 students at the school, from kindergarten up to fifth grade (Pathom 6). The school also has two general affairs officials, who occasionally help her to teach the students.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 7

44 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

while other schools are overcrowded with too many students in a classroom and too may teachers...

Don't you mean too few teachers and too many 'teachers assistants'?

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Its the same everywhere with schools out of town. 

7kms out of town seems a short distance but demographics change quickly.

To say there are schools nearby that are over crowded is not relevant. Out of town, Thai parents generally want their kids to go to the nearest school, walking distance if possible, so they don't have to bother with transport.

The main issue is the amount of small schools around. Our village is only 9kms from town. Within two kilometres there are 4 village schools. About 60 students and 4 teachers in each. All of them have an assistant director and director.

These schools could easily be merged. Land 3 of the schools are on could be sold. This could pay for development at the 4th school and the purchase of a school bus to pick the kids up if they need. The teachers could all work in the one school.

The problem? As always it's down to the hierarchy. My plan would eradicate 3 director's jobs and 3 assistant director's jobs. 

I don't know were you live, but parents in my neighbourhoud, surely don't want the kids to the nearest school. It should be obliged as I wrote many times, as you are right. Kids can leave later and are back home sooner. But apparently the parents want the kids to go to schools which have a good name or seems the best in town. Therefor kids have to leave at 6 to get the schoolbus and are back home at 17.30 or so. I was teaching too in an area withe several schools not far from eachother allw ith mixed classes, as the rest of the village was going for better education to other schools in town. There are the overcrowded classrooms, but it is the policy that has to change and the idea of parents that nearby schools are not good  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The school’s one and only teacher is Thanyalak Deechan and she told a Thai PBS reporter that there are 19 students at the school, from kindergarten up to fifth grade (Pathom 6). The school also has two general affairs officials, who occasionally help her to teach the students.

About half the normal class of students, they should feel lucky.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Section 49 of the Constitution specifies that every Thai is entitled to a free and quality education for at least 12 years.

But they have to buy at least 3 different uniforms, and their school bag has to be the one only available from the school. Go figure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

About half the normal class of students, they should feel lucky.

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

1 teacher for 19 students hardly seems a dire situation. 

The students range in age from 4 to 12.

A tricky balancing act.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No, it doesn't.

At a lot of schools it does though. You picked up on one of my comments, what about all the different uniforms to be worn on different days. 

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

At a lot of schools it does though. You picked up on one of my comments, what about all the different uniforms to be worn on different days. 

I only picked up on the bag comment as it's incorrect.

I agree with your uniform comment, as can be seen in my original comment regarding costs, so did not quote it.

Edited by youreavinalaff

28 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

One teacher 19 students, I'm sure they can work it out.

If they were the same age, I'd agree.

With the age range of the students, the teacher would need to teach 7 different subjects each lesson.

It's tricky but doable, to a degree. Not an ideal or acceptable situation.

My original idea of merging would, as an example, lead to 4 teachers and 76 students. Split the students into 4 goups of same or similar age  and you have a much more satisfactory situation.

• Like 1