270 million baht to be sought for promotion of this year’s Songkran festival

webfact

image.jpeg

The Soft Power Strategy Committee is to request about 270 million baht from the government for the promotion of this year’s Songkran Festival, in an attempt to make it part of the country’s soft power. It is expected that the event will attract more foreign visitors to Thailand and generate about 35 billion baht revenue, according to Dr. Surapong Suebwonglee, secretary of the committee.

He said that the money will be used to fund activities related to Songkran in Bangkok and elsewhere, as well as a promotional campaign which is expected to kick off in February, ahead of the festival in April.

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, Commerce Minister Phumtham Wechayachai and Paetongtarn Shinawatra, leader of the Pheu Thai party and vice chair of the Soft Power Strategy Committee, presided over the launch of “Bangkok Design Week 2024 yesterday, which showcases various designs and creative works by Thai designers and artists from across the country.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Songkran used to be really celebrated everywhere in Thailand in old days, like 30 years ago with people were

really happy to celebrate this occasion, not so much now though with the new generations and proliferation

of social media and all the gadgets...

3 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Songkran used to be really celebrated everywhere in Thailand in old days, like 30 years ago with people were

really happy to celebrate this occasion, not so much now though with the new generations and proliferation

of social media and all the gadgets...

I think it will be a big deal in Pattaya this year!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Soft Power Strategy Committee is to request about 270 million baht from the government for the promotion of this year’s Songkran Festival, in an attempt to make it part of the country’s soft power.

:intheclub:

27 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I think the number of expats who vacate Pattaya during Songkran will outnumber the of arriving foreign tourists.

I won't be here during the official festival....I'm off to less stupid climes.