Thai baht heads for poorest January since 2020

webfact

15 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

A sliding baht should make trading easier for some industries and companies.

Logically, you would think that should be so but it isn't. Studies have shown that it's not the strength or weakness of the selling country's currency that's important, the strength of the buying country's economy is. If the potential buyers economy is in the doldrums and they can't sell their products, they don't import products to make them in the first place, no matter how cheap they may be

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Since a similar report from Kasikorn last week, BOT is obviously supporting the baht, because since that day the baht has significantly strengthened against the US$, while the US$ hasn't had a significant weakening on the world market in the same period

All foreign currency exchange rates involving THB are cross rates that are derived via USD, only USD has a direct relationship with THB. That means it is entirely possible for the Baht to strengthen against USD and fall against the other majors. The following will help you better understand:

6 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

All foreign currency exchange rates involving THB are cross rates that are derived via USD, only USD has a direct relationship with THB. That means it is entirely possible for the Baht to strengthen against USD and fall against the other majors. The following will help you better understand:

Not sure what that has to do with my observation, but no problem, you are the financial expert. Not?

45 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Not sure what that has to do with my observation, but no problem, you are the financial expert. Not?

I posted that link to help put to rest some of the unsubstantiated theories surrounding the THB exchange rate, there's a lot of useful and interesting information in the link that many are unaware of.

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I'm not involved or knowledgeable about all the currency wiggle waggle. All I know is that a little over a year or so ago Prawit complained about the baht being too weak and asserted it needed to exchange at around 35. The baht promptly went lower. Now, what seems to be yet more complaining about a strong dollar and presto! the dollar sinks like a rusty tub the past couple of days. I'll not call it a conspiracy. But I do think it's a really strange coincidence, coming as it does when a lot of American Social Security transfers are scheduled in the next couple of days.

You don't have to be a financial expert, or at least don't pretend to be one, to know that every national bank in the world will support their currency by either buying or selling foreign currency, if they deem the exchange rate goes beyond a point they have set as appropriate.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I'm not involved or knowledgeable about all the currency wiggle waggle. All I know is that a little over a year or so ago Prawit complained about the baht being too weak and asserted it needed to exchange at around 35. The baht promptly went lower. Now, what seems to be yet more complaining about a strong dollar and presto! the dollar sinks like a rusty tub the past couple of days. I'll not call it a conspiracy. But I do think it's a really strange coincidence, coming as it does when a lot of American Social Security transfers are scheduled in the next couple of days.

Almost certainly that was a coincidence. The truly interesting part about this obsession by some people that the Baht is manipulated, is that most think the government is always trying to make it stronger. The reality has always been that any money BOT spends in currency intervention is aimed almost exclusively at weakening the Baht! THB was pegged to USD for the longest time at 25, after the 97 crash it floated to over 45, ever since it's been trying to return to 25, without anyone needing to do much at all. The optimum range for USD/THB is between around 31 to 33, outside of that range either imports or exports values get stressed. Unfortunately, THB is dependent on USD so much of the exchange rate is beyond the control of the Thai economy.