HSBC using intermediate bank to transfer

gordypatty

Only for those using HSBC please.

Std life are Tranferring my pension v HSBc who charge £3 who transfer to  Siam bank who charge 150 b. Thats correct as all other transfers are the same. Big problem is my payments have another 900 b deducted Siam bank say its because HSBC are using Bangkok bank as an intermediate bank

I cant speak to HSBC cos l dont have an account with them.

Anyone else using HSBC to transfer to a bank over here

Had loads of advice but need to hear from those using HSBc

5 minutes ago, gordypatty said:

Std life are Tranferring my pension v HSBc who charge £3 who transfer to  Siam bank who charge 150 b. Thats correct as all other transfers are the same. Big problem is my payments have another 900 b deducted Siam bank say its because HSBC are using Bangkok bank as an intermediate bank

I use HSBC in the UK. When I make a SWIFT transfer from the UK to UOB Thailand, it comes via HSBC Bangkok which is a commercial branch rather than a retail branch but is nevertheless used for currency exchange and  pass through. 

I don't think that HSBC has a SWIFT relationship with any bank in Thailand, I believe they either use NatWest UK for transfers to Thailand, or they use their commercial branch in Bangkok. These relationships change frequently however so what they might be today is unclear, I very much doubt however that HSBC uses Bangkok Bank as an intermediary bank.

15 minutes ago, gordypatty said:

Open a WISE account, pay from HSBC to WISE by free bank transfer.

WISE charge 7 pounds for 1200 pounds to transfer to a Thai bank at XE rate, no other fees.

As a bonus HSBC (and DWP) have no record of where the money is going.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
24 minutes ago, gordypatty said:

He is not transferring anything using HSBC, Standard Life, his pension provider is.

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

WISE charge 7 pounds for 1200 pounds to transfer to a Thai bank at XE rate, no other fees.

As a bonus HSBC (and DWP) have no record of where the money is going.

Are you refering to HSBC Jersey transfer to Wise, i have a USD account with HSBC Jersey.

I have not sent funds to Thailand for a while, but previously they charged me $50 for a swift, as they told me there was a intermediary bank involved.

I used to have an account with HSBC Thailand, and they closed my account and moved everthing to Jersey

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't believe that HSBC Thailand offers any retail services to individuals, HNW or otherwise.

I agree with you, 99%, but I recall reading something about HNW accounts which surprised me. I'll see what I can find out.

• Like 1

I transfer partial pension from HSBC UK on a monthly basis direct to SCB. Sent in £ direct via SWIFT. £5 UK transaction fee. SCB this end convert to THB at 1½% + THB200 receipt fee. Always virtually instant transaction (fastest was 17 minutes) until about 4/5 years ago when changed to overnight. Never had any problems.   

I have an HSBC UK account.

When I transfer funds to my Thai bank it used to take about 4 days due to an intermediary bank.

My last transfer was completed within 24 hours which surprised me. 

I can only guess that they did the transfer direct.

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't believe that HSBC Thailand offers any retail services to individuals, HNW or otherwise.

There's a Bangkok Post article dated 25 October 2023 entitled "HSBC Thailand taps global connectivity", which talks about them growing their asset management business here to better serve their HNW clients. It sounds as though they may have asset management operation, specifically for HNY clients. 

12 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Why would anyone still be using bank to bank transfer... high fees and low conversion rates are the norm... money transfer companies and brokers are cheaper and easier.

SWIFT transfers are unlimited, unlike many money transfer companies. Plus the HSBC UK charge to remit Sterling to a Thai bank is only 5 Pounds and the negotiated conversion rate at a Thai bank is usually quite competitive. It may not always be the way to go for the person who wants to squeeze every last satang out of a currency exchange transaction but for many, it's a safe, no risk and pain free method that quick and easy.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, gordypatty said:

It's an effing bank. I got very bad experience.😵‍💫

56 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

I transfer to wise from my HSBC account, no charges

If both accounts in the UK then it would be a domestic transfer and UK banks do not normally charge for domestic transfers.

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

It's an effing bank. I got very bad experience.😵‍💫

Different people, different experience. I have had various issues over the years and they have been helpful with resolution,  I was recently compensated over £100 when they made a mistake.

Greatest help was when Agoda renaged on a refund for my quarantine hotel, although protracted HSBC did manage to get the money back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

No charges which end ?

Both ends.

Just to add to the post from  @sandyf WISE do not charge for UK domestic transfers either. So, GBP in from, say, HSBC - no charge; GBP from your WISE account to, say, HSBC - no charge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There's a Bangkok Post article dated 25 October 2023 entitled "HSBC Thailand taps global connectivity", which talks about them growing their asset management business here to better serve their HNW clients. It sounds as though they may have asset management operation, specifically for HNY clients. 

I think their wealth/asset management services  in Thailand are provided only to their corporate HNW customers, not to private HNW individuals...

"HSBC is committed to its goal to be the best bank and a key driving force for the Thai economy and Thai society.

Today, HSBC provides a comprehensive range of financial and banking services to corporate customers".

https://www.about.hsbc.co.th/hsbc-in-thailand

I'm happy to be corrected if you know specifically otherwise.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Why would anyone still be using bank to bank transfer... high fees and low conversion rates are the norm... money transfer companies and brokers are cheaper and easier.

Are their services limited to below certain amounts? 

Nothing much easier than doing a SWIFT on, for example, BBL's phone app, I doubt that the other banks' are much different.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He is not transferring anything using HSBC, Standard Life, his pension provider is.

So get them to pay the pension direct to WISE.

I contacted Standard Life about a year ago to have my pensions paid direct to my WISE account, answer was WISE are a finance house not a bank and Head Office say pensions must be paid into a bank account, therefore no can do. Would like to know if Standard Life has changed their attitude on this.

1 minute ago, foreverlomsak said:

I contacted Standard Life about a year ago to have my pensions paid direct to my WISE account, answer was WISE are a finance house not a bank and Head Office say pensions must be paid into a bank account, therefore no can do. Would like to know if Standard Life has changed their attitude on this.

You have an allocated sort code and account number.

If DWP and Mercer, for example, can pay direct to WISE then there is no reason for Standard Life not to........Attitude!.........

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

You have an allocated sort code and account number.

If DWP and Mercer, for example, can pay direct to WISE then there is no reason for Standard Life not to........Attitude!.........

Thanks for the comment, I have heard before that DWP will deposit to WISE, other pension is from Mercer (ex SIPS) good to know that they will also.

Am going to try Standard Life again, It's only a smallish annual annuity, but enough for a few boxes of beer.

My UK bank does not give any interest and needs 2,500GBP to be maintained in the account to keep it charge free