Thai Airways flight diverted to Sydney, captain clarifies decision

snoop1130

CAT3 approaches require the crew to practise one every so often,(I cannot remember just how often), it is probable that at least one of the crew was out of currency.

8 hours ago, zhounan said:

I am amazed that there are still people who agree to pay for those overpriced tickets.

What overpriced tickets? I can fly Perth to BKK for 506 US dollars and that is return nonstop.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Well, I am a pensioner, I could fly for much less than that with crappy little airlines and stop over twice for about 18 hours. 

Yes !

Vietnam Airlines 27 hours travel time with 2 stops , half the price 😂

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes !

Vietnam Airlines 27 hours travel time with 2 stops , half the price 😂

Last time I flew I choose Malaysian Airlines never again. Got ripped off with the luggage the ticket stated 20 KG each but at check in we are being told it is for a couple and paid extra 200 AUD. Arrived in KL and had to change terminals with no time at all, could not find a lift since I had a broken ankle. No facilities for handicapped on the bus we had to use. So that is why I use Thai Airways less than 7 hours nonstop.

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

Last time I flew I choose Malaysian Airlines never again. Got ripped off with the luggage the ticket stated 20 KG each but at check in we are being told it is for a couple and paid extra 200 AUD. Arrived in KL and had to change terminals with no time at all, could not find a lift since I had a broken ankle. No facilities for handicapped on the bus we had to use. So that is why I use Thai Airways less than 7 hours nonstop.

Even if you pay a few extra hundred dollars it's worth it ..to fly direct 

On 1/31/2024 at 8:18 AM, Brock said:

Actually, its a good decision. Melbourne is several hundred Ks south of Sydney , so were going past it on the way. Canberra Airport is in a hole in the mountains, and if weather is marginal wouldnt be a good choice. Also the airport may not be suitable or the aircraft..

They were definitely NOT going past Sydney on the way:

image.png.df221820ec962604c069ade07c1caf3c.png

17 minutes ago, SABloke said:

They were definitely NOT going past Sydney on the way:

image.png.df221820ec962604c069ade07c1caf3c.png

Long way too. Seems a strange decision. Planes have so much equipment to assist landing I wonder what really happened if other planes landed.

16 hours ago, zhounan said:

I am amazed that there are still people who agree to pay for those overpriced tickets.

What, you mean Thai Airways? 

Last time I flew with them it was full of Indians.... (Flying to Bali via Bangkok)... I suspect they are competitive there. 

700km Melbourne to Sydney. Long diversion. If I was a passenger who saw fine weather out of the window I'd want an explanation too. That's a long way to fly.

So can anyone answer how many planes were diverted?

12 minutes ago, uttradit said:

700km Melbourne to Sydney. Long diversion. If I was a passenger who saw fine weather out of the window I'd want an explanation too. That's a long way to fly.

So can anyone answer how many planes were diverted?

so you too would like to question an Airline Captains authority and decisions.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

so you too would like to question an Airline Captains authority and decisions.  

Yes. Only a fool accepts information without proof. Have you not seen aircraft investigations tv show? Most crashes due to pilot error not plane. These guys are not perfect. Far from it.

Were multiple planes diverted?

Can you answer that question yes or no?

Very odd if only 1 plane got diverted.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Yes. Only a fool accepts information without proof. Have you not seen aircraft investigations tv show? Most crashes due to pilot error not plane. These guys are not perfect. Far from it.

maybe you should be the pilot ....   or a NASA astronaut

On 1/31/2024 at 2:17 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Another example of Thai airways not listening to their customers!

Customer service,as their motyid goes certainywasnt customer centric 

What happened to the "customer is always right ? 

Idiot.

I mean the 'customer' cited in the main story, not you (but it's a close call).

13 hours ago, uttradit said:

Oops, another one (even more difficult to differentiate from the one in the main story).

On 2/1/2024 at 12:29 AM, Maybole said:

CAT3 approaches require the crew to practise one every so often,(I cannot remember just how often), it is probable that at least one of the crew was out of currency.

What do you think we do when we go to the training center?

Crews recurrent training is usually scheduled prior to dequal, and with lapsed currency are de-rostered until training is completed. 

Edited by Captain Monday