Drunk drivers in Thailand to face more testing

snoop1130

Thai Cabinet Considers New Alcohol Measurement Method for Drivers: Urine Tests Proposed by Royal Thai 
By Kittisak Phalaharn

image.jpeg

At 1:30 PM, on January 30th, 2024, Mr. Karom Phonphonklang, the Thai Deputy Government Spokesperson, publicly revealed the Thai Cabinet meeting results regarding a bill for alcohol measurement by adding a body fluid measurement such as urine.

The Royal Thai Police proposed a draft ministerial regulation issued under the Land Traffic Act, Section 5, Paragraph 1, and Section 142, to the Thai cabinet to consider adding a new method of alcohol content measurement.

Previously, the police would ask drivers to blow into an alcohol meter to measure alcohol content. If a blood test was required, the drivers had to give consent.

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-02-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Royal Thai Police are introducing more options for testing drunk drivers, including more timely hospital testing. The new measures were endorsed by the Thai Cabinet yesterday,

...let's hope it's serious, and not one of these measures that's just for show. there are too many fatal traffic accidents on thailand's roads.

47 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

...let's hope it's serious, and not one of these measures that's just for show. there are too many fatal traffic accidents on thailand's roads.

Don't count on it being serious

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have an unusual suggestion, how about getting the highway patrol to actually patrol the highway? Then when people are swerving and behaving in an erratic manner they can be pulled over and tested for alcohol. Right now it seems like they're limited to these ridiculous roadblocks. 

And while they're at it the lazy highway patrol could pull over people for reckless driving, what a concept. 

That will never catch on

They can get caught DUI 3 times , 3 times +maybe running a red light ,

before they get enough points to lose their license ,thats crazy , I hope

the tougher tests apply to those HiSo's who think they are above the law,

regards Worgeordie 

• Like 2

There is no point in more laws.. Start with serious enforcement of the existing ones.. Never checked if I have a driverslicense Never checked my lights, Never checked if I have been drinking. Only the sticker of the taxpayment and of you go

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, quake said:

Getting totally smashed, then riding or driving home, is the norm in Thailand.

Until that attitude is changed,  nothing will change, no matter what new rules

or regulations are introduced.

The secret to all this is what changed in the west (US and UK) to make drunk driving socially unacceptable. Clue: the change in attitude did not happen by accident, but was a campaign by a group of people who had been hurt by drunekn drivers.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, retarius said:

The secret to all this is what changed in the west (US and UK) to make drunk driving socially unacceptable. Clue: the change in attitude did not happen by accident, but was a campaign by a group of people who had been hurt by drunekn drivers.

Nah.

Comparing Thailand to Uk or USA,  just don't work, they are special over here.

Remember over here,  they have road carnage on the news every night, the locals just laugh at it.

Reckon the only thing that may change them, is a serious beating with the

Money stick in the wallet.

You will get there attention then. and possibly move forward from there.

Ps, I think most people are to selfish to change on many different things, Drunk driving / Riding is just one.

Edited by quake
  • Like 2

I'll never forget when my wife's uncle was drinking beer and driving while we were with him. He offered me a drink and I politely declined.  Mind you,  he was a high ranking naval officer who had traveled overseas for extensive training. It's a mindset that won't change overnight. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Almer said:

That will never catch on

You are likely right, and it is very possible that the Thai Highway Patrol are the most slothful and lazy organization in the entire nation. They utterly refuse to do their work by patrolling the highway, they're only found after an accident takes place. Truly an obnoxious group of lowlifes. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You are likely right, and it is very possible that the Thai Highway Patrol are the most slothful and lazy organization in the entire nation. They utterly refuse to do their work by patrolling the highway, they're only found after an accident takes place. Truly an obnoxious group of lowlifes

Ouch

Some people drive better when they're drunk: they're less aggressive and drive more slowly. Enhanced driving skills when drunk should be included in the driving test and noted on a diver's licence so that such 'safe when drunk' drivers can be excused.

Edited by sidneybear

10 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Brilliant living here isn't it.🤔

It is absolutely brilliant living here, I love every minute of it. If I wanted normal and  predictable, if I wanted a life full of common sense and reason, I would have stayed in America. Nah, the craziness, and the distant planet aspect of the place, it all works for me.

Every day is a good day here.